Import Games on Sega Saturn?

RXBANDIT

Zero's Secretary
Ok Guys!!!!! i just bought a Sega Saturn (PAL) and it came with a "CD PLUS" import cartridge which enables me to play import games. Do you know if this cartridge will allow me to play the games that needed the extra Ram cart? ie does this cartridge double up as Ram cart too? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

If it doesn't then what would be my best option?

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
RXBANDIT said:
Ok Guys!!!!! i just bought a Sega Saturn (PAL) and it came with a "CD PLUS" import cartridge which enables me to play import games. Do you know if this cartridge will allow me to play the games that needed the extra Ram cart? ie does this cartridge double up as Ram cart too? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont think it will. You will have to do the swap trick with a ram cart to play games that require the 1 meg and 4 meg ram. The carts that double up as a converter and ram are those 4 in 1 carts. But they are kinda hit and miss I bought one of those and it was defective. My friend got one too and his works.

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
What you want to get is called an action replay plus That will enable cheats, import games and has the extra ram support as well

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
N80G80 said:
What you want to get is called an action replay plus That will enable cheats, import games and has the extra ram support as well

What he said. Games that need 1MB ram like KOF 95 will not work on this. You have to use the cart that they come with as I believe it has the frames of animation and other stuff specific to that game.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I had 2 of those action replay carts back when I got my Saturn, but both of them flaked out on me in under 2 months under delicate use; hell, I never removed the things from the system. Ultimately, I just bought a Japanese Saturn and a ST Key to play the 3 US games I cared about. I would suggest a mod chip or an import Saturn over taking the chance of having to replace the action replay cart repeatedly.

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
I have had the same action replay plus for going on like five years, with absolutetly no problem

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
N80G80 said:
I have had the same action replay plus for going on like five years, with absolutetly no problem

yeah me too, have had mine since 98.....4meg cart works, mem card backup works, gameshark works, things good as gold.

omnedon

Astra Superstar
Mod for region, carts for memory are the way to go, in my opinion.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
This is the only cart to have.
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html
ar4m_shop.jpg

Asmoday said:
. Ultimately, I just bought a Japanese Saturn and a ST Key to play the 3 US games I cared about.
This is what I did to, I bought a NOS Jap white Saturn and a US NOS Gameshark and now I can play everything. But of course a PAR above would work better.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
N80G80 said:
The first one I bought has been working great for about 7 years or so, since the X-MEN vs SF port, I bought a second one 1 year ago or so and the ram doesn't work, I'm not sure why, is the same exact cart, perhaps they put the wrong sticker on it:conf: .

The only game I know that needs swap cart is the KOF 95, that's my favorite Saturn Neo port, it's incredible, I think it's even better than the Neo CD port.

I wish they released all the Neo games that way.

Another thing off the subject, stay away form the Fatal Fury 3 port for saturn, is the worst port I ever seen, well maybe next to children of the Atom, and Darkstalkers for PS, they are just as jumpy.

The only value of Fatal Fury 3 for Saturn is the Manual, is absolutely gorgeous, other than that is crap.

Since we're here, the Dominated mind PS exclusive kind of reeks a bit, no switching planes, and frame cut is ridiculous, but on the plus side, it has tremendous value as SNK history, and extra moves that are exclusive to this release, plus the animated cut scenes are cool.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
RXBANDIT said:

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you have a problem with the refresh rates?, I mean PAL vs NTSC?

Saturn is my favorite console that's ever existed! Great Pads, excellent "rubber" Joysticks, and a great library consisting mainly of arcade ports.

Really if you think about it, if it weren't for dreamcast, Marvel vs Capcom would off made it to the system, as well as many other games prior to 2000 would off been great on this system.

Hell! even some arcade games to this day could off been ported to the saturn no problem, or perhaps is just me so used to a console lasting over a decade like the Neo.

Man those were some great times when the Saturn ruled the Import scene.

Last edited:

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
neo_X7 said:
This is the only cart to have.

That is exactly what I was talking about and no electricgrave, there are no video issues, I think that only has to do with actual film not video games although I am not entirely sure.