Ichiro traded to the Yankees

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
As for Ryan Dempster, who do the Cubs have left now as a solid pitcher? It is crazy to think that with Kerry Wood and Zambrano on the Cubs, Dempster has been their best pitcher for a while now.

Right now it's Matt Garza but he's probably getting traded as well prior to the deadline for more prospects. That leaves Cubs fans with Jeff Samardzija and that's not a good thing in the short term but the ship will be righted soon and Theo will have them above .500 in 3-4 years.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
His inconsistency was more with Cinci due to injuries. He was the man in Seattle! Too bad...he may have his name on the HR and not Bonds if injuries hadn't derailed things (or have been much higher up on the list).
I swear I remember his batting average hovering around 150-170, guess my memory is not as good as I thought. he was one of the best centerfielders to ever play the game I do remember that.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I swear I remember his batting average hovering around 150-170, guess my memory is not as good as I thought. he was one of the best centerfielders to ever play the game I do remember that.
he got off to a bad april more than once. thats probably what you are thinking about. april is not what makes a season though.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I doubt I will ever be a more prolific hitter/fielder to play for the Mariners again in my lifetime over a 10 years span. From 90-99 Ken Griffey hit over .300, 38 homeruns per season, over 100 RBI per, 10 allstar games, 10 golden gloves.

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I doubt I will ever be a more prolific hitter/fielder to play for the Mariners again in my lifetime over a 10 years span. From 90-99 Ken Griffey hit over .300, 38 homeruns per season, over 100 RBI per, 10 allstar games, 10 golden gloves.

Perhaps not but you guys will have one heck of a pitching staff in 2-3 years if these kids you have in the minors (Hultzen, Walker, Paxton) pan out.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
It's a damn shame Griffey's knees became a chronic probably in the 2nd half of his career. He was easily on pace to become the all time HR champ.

He also had the sweetest swing in the history of the game. He could crank a 450' homer into the upper deck and his swing looked effortless.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
It's a damn shame Griffey's knees became a chronic probably in the 2nd half of his career. He was easily on pace to become the all time HR champ.

He also had the sweetest swing in the history of the game. He could crank a 450' homer into the upper deck and his swing looked effortless.

Cano will be the next Griffey.

Papi also has an effortless swing - as much as I hate the Red Sox, he's a power hitter.

A-Rod is having a tough season, but he still has quite a few more classic seasons left in him.

I'm watching Harper - wonder if he will produce in the future?

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
...I don't blame him, it has been very hard to be a Mariners fan for the past 16 years
I'm with you on that. To be honest, I would go to every day game the Mariners had down here (against the Oakland A's) to be the one 'away'-supporter in the right-field stands, and Ichiro was as nice a guy as a desperate Seatle-fan could get.

The sad thing is, for years, I've really felt he was the only thing keeping the club from being totally worthless in the standings. Now the Mariners have moved him out and I have a tough time believing the owners will spend any amount of money to build the club back to a level where they can reach even the middle of the AL West.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
oops! dempster refused a trade to the ATL. suck on that, braves!

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I'm with you on that. To be honest, I would go to every day game the Mariners had down here (against the Oakland A's) to be the one 'away'-supporter in the right-field stands, and Ichiro was as nice a guy as a desperate Seatle-fan could get.

The sad thing is, for years, I've really felt he was the only thing keeping the club from being totally worthless in the standings. Now the Mariners have moved him out and I have a tough time believing the owners will spend any amount of money to build the club back to a level where they can reach even the middle of the AL West.

I miss the good old days, while safeco is easily one of the best places in the league to watch a game, Seattles best baseball was played at the kingdome. On a happier note the prospect of a new NBA team in town has got me a little excited

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I miss the good old days, while safeco is easily one of the best places in the league to watch a game, Seattles best baseball was played at the kingdome.
I remember going to Safeco in the first season it was open and being absolutely astounded by the place. But (and I know I'll get lamblasted by fans for this, because I always do) I loved seeing baseball in the Kingdome and on Astroturf in-general, because it really created a fast-paced hitter's game (better suited for the American League's vision, in a way).

That being said, it makes me wonder how Ichiro would have fared if the Mariners were still at the Kingdome. If he hits .320 on grass, and with plenty of Astroturf experience in Japan, what would he hit if he played on 'turf here?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Let's Go Buccos!

i know there is a few pirates fans here- they just traded for Wandy Rodriguez. He is a pretty serious power pitcher and gives you guys a serious shot in the playoffs. (not to mention you get him next year and the astros are picking up half the tab for him- $17.1 million!)

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
oops! dempster refused a trade to the ATL. suck on that, braves!

He has until 7/31 to say yay or nay to that deal. That one is going to hurt the Cubs more than the Braves if he does actually shoot it down. I'd take Delgado's upside any day over a few more months of Dempster. My wife is a lifelong Cubs fan so it'd be good to give her something to cheer about again though Anthony Rizzo and Jorge Soler are two solid steps in the right direction.

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I loved Dempster's feeble attempt at a tantrum the other night. He played with Carlos Zambrano for how long? Clearly he took poor notes on how to do this properly.