I want to play RPGs. Should I just suck it up and buy a 360?

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I have a PS3 and love it, but now that I'm finally tiring of Fallout 3 and Oblivion, I'm not sure where to go next. DA:O looks okay I guess. Demon's Souls is more hack n' slash than I want (though I'll probably check that one out anyway because of the positive reviews). I dislike FF and have no interest in FFXVIII or whatever it's up to now. I'm looking for some traditional RPGs like the ones that made me fall in love with the genre in the first place (Phantasy Star, Lunar, etc.).

Is the 360 my only option, and what games should I be looking at if so?

snk`

Kula's Candy
I heard Lost Odyssey(on 360) is very good.. though I haven't played it myself yet.

If you're into handhelds, you've got some nice RPG games on DS and PSP to check out.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
You can give Eternal Sonata a try. Star Ocean 4 (PS3) should arrive around March as well.

Eggy

Rugal's Thug
blue dragon: all characters look like they're from dragonball, but it's still quite good and has a nice turn-based battle system.
tales of vesperia: has a real time fighting system and i'd also really recommend it.
last remnant: also good, the battle system is quite unusual. soundtrack and graphics are also good.
eternal sonata: imo one of the best rpg's I've ever played, I really love the music. the story was also interesting and the japanese voice acting is really great. the battle system is a mix between turns and real time.
fable 2 wasn't that good imo, but that's because I don't like western rpg's that much.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Just buy Dragon Age: Origins on PS3.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Fable 2 seemed pretty cool. That's the only exclusive RPG I know of for the 360.

It seems like all of the big name RPGs end up multi-platform these days, so honestly, I wouldn't really bother with it unless there were other things you wanted on the system.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
If you want to play RPGs get a PS2. It has tons of great ones. If you want some fun RPGs that play like a classic get Dragon Quest VIII. Persona 4 is pretty addicting too.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Most of the traditional RPGs are on DS, PS2 and PSP right now.

DS is getting Sands of Destruction, a Sega title, next week.

PSP is getting a remake of Lunar in Feb. with new graphics and a scenario that better explains the four original heroes.

PS2 is getting Strat RPG/Dating Sim Sakura Wars in Mar. I think.

There's a few RPGs coming out for PS3 like Star Ocean 4 and 3D Dot Game Heroes though.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
White Knight Chronicles comes out on February 2nd for PS3. I plan on getting it (maybe it would be too modern of an rpg, in regard to what you're looking for).

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Just pirate Dragon's Age for your PC.

Like systmdfect said, the PS2 is loaded with RPGs.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I completely forgot about Mass Effect. It's worth picking up if your computer can't run it, although it and Fable 2 aren't enough on their own to justify buying a 360.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I completely forgot about Mass Effect. It's worth picking up if your computer can't run it, although it and Fable 2 aren't enough on their own to justify buying a 360.

Fable 2 was a letdown for me. Many of the cool RPG elements that were in the 1st have been stripped out or dumbed down. Combat has been simplified, which oddly enough makes it harder to control. The "vast environment" they preached about is technically bigger than the first game but feels much much smaller. Also the graphics have some kind of way overdone blurring effect. I guess it's to hide the ugly textures or something.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fable 2 was a solid, fun action RPG.

I felt you got too powerful near the end of the game though. It's very easy to learn every skill in the game. It wasn't as stat heavy as most western RPGs have been of late, felt more like a Zleda title in that regard. I thoroughly enjoyed Fable 2 though.

The DLC was alright. I liked Knothole Island but See the Future sucked. It was a good idea but I think it needed to be longer.

Last edited:

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Dude, you should definitely bite on a Jasper model...they're cheap and there's plenty of great/exclusive RPGs including:

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
ME2
Fable 2
Fable 1 via Xbox Originals

I really like the first two as they're oldschool turn based gameplay married with kickass modern graphics.

Plus you can play all of the multiplatform RPGs with added benefits like installing the game discs to the HDD (god DAMN does this save time on loading random battles, especially in Lost Odyssey), exclusive DLC and less glitches/stable framerate.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
As far as traditional RPGs go, both PS3 and 360 are mostly a waste of time. If Namco bothers with a US PS3 release of Tales of Vesperia, then I would recommend that. Though I'm interested in FFXIII, the way it's made (essentially no towns or NPCs to flesh out the world in which they're trying to immerse players; no sidequests until the end, all of which focus on more fighting; dungeon-cutscene-dungeon pacing, with exploration stifled further by making them narrow corridors that move in a straight line) amount to it not really being traditional either.

The negative word of mouth in regards to story and gameplay for White Knight Chronicles, along with personally not liking its look or setting, mean it would more likely be a rent for me if I were interested. SO4 somehow managing to be worse than SO3 (a game I already had mixed feelings about) as far as story and characters are concerned means I probably won't bother with tri-Ace again until Resonance of Fate.

You're better off sticking with PS2 if traditional RPGs are what you're looking for (Tales of the Abyss, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, and Persona 4 are a few worth checking out).

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Just purchase a DS.

There's a new RPG almost every month on that system.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Thanks for the responses everyone.

It sounds like there are a few more options on the PS3 than I thought. Eternal Sonata looks gorgeous (aside from the fruity character designs). I'll wait for reviews of SO4 and White Knight.

I haven't picked up DA:O yet because I burned out on Oblivion and worry the overall feel would be too similar (monsters, knights, etc.). I loved Bioware's old school PC RPGs though. Played a lot of Baldur's Gate back in the day. Have they made a successful transition to 3D? Same feel? Mass Effect looks cool, but how much of it is FPS? I'm more interested in adventure and exploring than action, and I don't think I would've enjoyed Fallout 3 as much as I did if it weren't for V.A.T.S. saving my ass on a regular basis.

Handhelds are something I'd rather not get into. My RPG sessions usually end up being at least several hours and the small screen and cramped controls would drive me nuts after a while.

I'm actually planning on picking up a PS2 slim at some point though. I sold my minty launch PS2 a couple years ago when I got my 60GB PS3 and really regret that decision now because I'm planning on putting together an old school gaming setup with a CRT. I've had DQVIII forever and never got around to playing it. I should probably bust that out and do some old school grinding.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Mass Effect looks cool, but how much of it is FPS? I'm more interested in adventure and exploring than action, and I don't think I would've enjoyed Fallout 3 as much as I did if it weren't for V.A.T.S. saving my ass on a regular basis.

The combat in Mass Effect is akin to a watered down Gear of War, an over-the-shoulder shooter. But it is BioWare, so there is a fair amount of dialogue. Adventuring? Exploration? Not so much. There're three "hub worlds" (the Citadel, Noveria & Feros) that house the bulk of the dialogue and missions. Exploring Mass Effect's universe nets you credits and xp via resource collecting, but little else.

Mass Effect 2 is promising a revamped universe and combat closer to Gears of War than before.

thirdkind said:
Handhelds are something I'd rather not get into. My RPG sessions usually end up being at least several hours and the small screen and cramped controls would drive me nuts after a while.

The DS XL's larger size might appeal to you then. I'm sure Nintendo will have demos in Best Buy, GS and EB when the system arrives in a few months.