How do you guys play.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
EG, what's going on? Did you actually play Lords of Thunder? If so, then just how did you get to the last stage (Dark Tower), if you didn't clear Cielom?

And BTW, Cielom is one of the harder levels, i.e. should be taken earlier on, as soon as you got enough money, together with Bosque.

The Sega-CD version has one decisive advantage: you can regulate the loudness of the sound f/x, resulting in a better experience of the music.

Oh what a brainfart, you are right, however if I remeber correctly...you can't pick Cielom until you have cleared all the other stages, then its Dark Tower, I just didn't remember and perhaps cielom trigger my memory simply 'cause its hard? Dunno it has been a while. I know this much for certain, whe it comes to LoT, I prefer winds of thunder 'cause the masamune art isn't ruined by LURDZ OF THUNDAH right over the front...but the problem with WoT is the dialogue over the intro riff, even though the guy has a decent voice it takes away from the music which is a real bummer.

...I see a rainbow rising!

Edit: As for Gaiaseed, I dunno what level you guys are on but I don't think Gaiaseed is as easy as Neo Zanac per say. Now, to be fairI can only go by the PS3 classic, I don't have the disc, could it be harder on the download version as opposed to the disc? I hardly doubt it but it could be.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
From the heights of mercy...

Fair enough, carry on.

...to the utmost depths of self-awareness...

...keep painting me as a marketplace demon if you want, ...

...ultimately ending this spiritual journey with... Frankie Goes to Hollywood? And a sig-worthy portrayal of yours truly.

Relax, you [...] off-topic subject of shmups and old European art, ...

A great taste in music and a the sharp eye of an essayist? You're nothing short but amazing, Retro-Giga-68-k.

GreyFox

n00b
For me it very much depends on the game (and also the circumstances).

If I am trying to learn a game for example in. Fighting game trying to learn new combos or ways to fight opponents then credit feed all day long. Equally if a fighter has an infamously cheap boss then I tend to credit feed so earlier progress isn't wiped out.

However I remember when I was playing lots of Saturn games that I would just credit feed and then would see all the game had to offer without much sense of achievement or progress on my part.
So I tend to try to be more disciplined these days and with games I know well I tend to limit myself to 4 credits and try to make them count.

Someone mentioned being more engaged with a game when playing this way and agree. I remember an analogy years ago about Poker. Poker has to have money involved in order to work. If nothing is at stake then players tend to play ridiculous long shots. If money is involved then they have to consider the odds, the risk/reward, try to read their opponent, try to bluff and more. There is something at stake.

Gaming sometimes feels the same. It focussed the mind and the reflexes if you limit the credits. I remember when I first discovered MAME and a large rom set. I found you just mindlessly chug through games and if something doesn't immediately engage you then you switch o another game. I remember playing in arcades and being limited in terms of funds. Every credit mattered (I miss the days of 10p and 20p a credit!) so I barely blinked while playing as a badly timed blink might cost me.

Apart from Magician Lord. Credit Feed a-go-go on that game :)

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
Definitely game dependant for me. Partly why I love Unibios so much.

I think it'd be a crime not to enjoy some of the later levels in games like Blazing Star.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Due to the fact I can't afford a neo I play ports on my dreamcast and psone sad ain't it.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Definitely game dependant for me. Partly why I love Unibios so much.

I think it'd be a crime not to enjoy some of the later levels in games like Blazing Star.

Fun fact, Blazing Star has a built in level select cheat.

Edit: found it - At the character select screen, hold right on the joystick and button D on both the one player and two player sides, then select your character. The next screen will be a stage select menu.

Last edited:

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
Fun fact, Blazing Star has a built in level select cheat.

Edit: found it - At the character select screen, hold right on the joystick and button D on both the one player and two player sides, then select your character. The next screen will be a stage select menu.

Does it work if you've only got one controller plugged in?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I just have an AES with no unibios so for non-fighting games I just see how far I can get on the credits given. The 4 credit limit is definitely a slap in the face from SNK, if i would have spent $200 on a game in the 90s and realized i only have 4 credits and the game was unbeatable as a result I would have shit a fucking brick. Alot of great games are seriously gimped by the 4 credit limit. For the later fighting games, the 4 credit thing isnt really an issue but for earlier ones it definitely is. Hats off to anybody that can beat fatal fury special in 4 credits.

One of these days ill get unibios ..

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
When I play solo I always 1cc to see how far I can get and attempt high scores. When I'm playing with the kids we quarter feed.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
the whole reason i jumped to the mvs from the home consoles was because 4 credits was not enough. trying to beat art of fighting 2 on four credits was stupid.

The AI in that game is psychotic. What on earth was SNK thinking with that?

ProGEO

n00b
I am usually playing with my 5 year old son so we credit the shit out of it. We have this little game where when the other person dies and had to continue, you try to hit their start button for them. Kind of like an extra "haha you died" added on top :)

Hehe, that is cool.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When I play solo I always 1cc to see how far I can get and attempt high scores. When I'm playing with the kids we quarter feed.

BTW. The last C in 1cc stands for clear.

A run on one credit is not a 1cc unless the game has been cleared.

gtmartini

Rugal's Thug
I just set unibios to unlimited credits. To be honest life for me is too congested as it is to keep starting again and I don't have any time as it is. I just want to enjoy a game start to finish. Sad I know but there you go. When I retire and have more spare time things may change!

Same as you, unfortunately I have too little time to try to beat a game without dying. And there are so much great games to play, so I use as much life as I need.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
With fighting games, once i am good, i play it with just 1 credit to either complete it or go as far as i can because it doesnt feel the same once you use a continue, i love it when you win a fight right near the edge of death to continue the run. If its a game like metal slug though then i play with unlimited continues and just go all out and dont care how many times i get killed until i finish it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I remember the first time I beat Knights of the Round on MAME when I was a little kid. That took at least two hours I think.