Have you met Americans who admit they're poor?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
For those of you who mentioned opting for more time to yourself and less stress (sounds great), what's the plan for retirement? As in absolute retirement where you're not working at all anymore, unlike where you see some older folks working part time jobs and have retired from their bread and butter career jobs.

I'm not knocking or trying to be negative, just curious. Retirement has always been a big thing on my mind even when I just started working career type jobs (always been a person that's nervous about "big life milestones/goals" and has to plan for the future). A big part of that is that I knew I would need to take care of my parents once they got much older. Take them in and care for them. Also my younger sister isn't the most responsible person, so I know I'd be probably funding her here and there. Then there are other relatives that I help out from time to time. On top of that the well being of my own household and hopefully being able to continue to live comfortably. So I've been planning accordingly to all those factors for many, many years.

Rising costs of living for everything all over the country (especially medical care/treatments... the right bad accident can decimate most people's funds), basically no social security left for us, market fluctuations, etc etc.. I think it's a very challenging problem that cannot be put off.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm American and I'm poor. I live paycheck to paycheck. There's no such thing as "middle class" anymore(at least not here in California). People are either struggling or they are well off.

Know a guy in Cali getting paid six figures, dude's also living paycheck to paycheck. Madness.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Know a guy in Cali getting paid six figures, dude's also living paycheck to paycheck. Madness.

Six figures doesn't mean shit in some parts of Cali. Where in Cali does he live?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
For the Cali people people complaining about the cost of living. Move. If you literally can't save money where you live, why are you still there? If you make 100k as an individual you are middle class no doubt about it. How you choose to spend it might determine if you are broke (not poor, again no American is poor) or not, and I would bet if you drilled down on your expenses you would find plenty of fat to trim.

I did the whle paycheck to paycheck thing for a long time. The past 5 years I paid all of my debt off and started putting something away for later. I think back on how I used to make less and spend more and am honestly embarassed. Even with a new baby and day care wife and I will still easily save more than 50% of our take home pay.

Wife thinks she would want to work still once our retirement target is met, but my retirement plan would be to quit full time work by 40 for up to a year or until I actually wanted to do something again and then search out temp or part time work as I wanted it. By that time maybe these idiots pushing for 15/hr will be sucessful and I will only have to go to McDs for a few hours a week.

I should bump that cheap mother fucker thread again.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
For the Cali people people complaining about the cost of living. Move.

Fuck that shit. California is expensive for a reason. I fucking love it here, which is why I am willing to put up with the cost of living.

bryan

Geese's Thug
For those of you who mentioned opting for more time to yourself and less stress (sounds great), what's the plan for retirement? As in absolute retirement where you're not working at all anymore, unlike where you see some older folks working part time jobs and have retired from their bread and butter career jobs.

I'm not knocking or trying to be negative, just curious. Retirement has always been a big thing on my mind even when I just started working career type jobs (always been a person that's nervous about "big life milestones/goals" and has to plan for the future). A big part of that is that I knew I would need to take care of my parents once they got much older. Take them in and care for them. Also my younger sister isn't the most responsible person, so I know I'd be probably funding her here and there. Then there are other relatives that I help out from time to time. On top of that the well being of my own household and hopefully being able to continue to live comfortably. So I've been planning accordingly to all those factors for many, many years.

Rising costs of living for everything all over the country (especially medical care/treatments... the right bad accident can decimate most people's funds), basically no social security left for us, market fluctuations, etc etc.. I think it's a very challenging problem that cannot be put off.

This is also on my mind. I kinda look at it like I am just enjoying some of my retirement early. While I am still young enough to enjoy it. I have always had the fear of working to death, stressed, and then having a heart attack or cancer something and dying with out taking the time to stop and enjoy life. I do have a 401K and to still need to work on some things, but if I have to chose between something on my bucket list or stashing $100, I might chose to have fun and look back on life with a smile.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Part of the reason that I don't have a lot of cash is because my wife and I contribute a higher-than-average percentage of our salaries to our 401ks. We also pay a little extra on our mortgage every month (the equivalent of one extra payment per year). Both of these things are intended to make life easier for us 25 years down the road.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Part of the reason that I don't have a lot of cash is because my wife and I contribute a higher-than-average percentage of our salaries to our 401ks. We also pay a little extra on our mortgage every month (the equivalent of one extra payment per year). Both of these things are intended to make life easier for us 25 years down the road.

Good work dude. It sounds like you're doing fine, I was saying if people are living in California and not saving any money blaming it on the cost of living they should move.

Nothing like feeling broke though because you're saving tons of money, that way you'll never be poor. Make sure you count your mortgage principal paid as money saved.

We paid off our house in 2.5 years which felt great, but we also bought a house that was cheaper than a NorCal outhouse.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

This doesn't apply to everyone, but generally the "LOL working is for dummies who are greedy" crowd have no plans for retirement and are in their 40s and older still renting instead of owning their own property. When you go somewhere and see a 70+ year old security guard or door man, that's a person who never planned for the future.

I was staying out of this thread since it's gotten OT, but what the hell, this is a video game forum where we rarely talk about games so everything is OT. To all the people talking about greed or chasing money instead of living, has it ever occurred to you that some of us are passionate about what we do and actually enjoy it? There are a lot of people in my industry with enough money to walk away and never work again, but a love for what they do keeps them showing up every day. So don't automatically equate working hard with greed.

The other posts about getting a reasonable mortgage are spot on. People making 50k/yr getting loans for $750,000 houses is what got us into a mess a handful of years ago. I've seen many friends of mine get huge mortgages and get into financial trouble as a result. All just so they could show off a house they can't really afford. Same with people leasing cars or getting massive loans, it's throwing money away on a depreciating asset. Doesn't make sense. If you're getting a loan for a $50,000+ car instead of paying cash, you're pissing money away that would be better spent elsewhere. At least a house is good debt.

Last edited:

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Good work dude. It sounds like you're doing fine, I was saying if people are living in California and not saving any money blaming it on the cost of living they should move.
That's pretty retarded. 1) It costs money to move. 2) Jobs aren't guaranteed elsewhere. It's far dumber to quit a job and move without having a job lined up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Because of my disease, I could probably live on the public till 1/2 way or completely, but I would rather work, because it's theraputic for me and puts money in my pocket. Thank God I'm getting a property tax rebate or that would kill me.

How do you guys get along with your neighbors?

I've had neighbors on both sides come and go. A developer made the house on the right of mine into two stories. A pair of vets moved in there, and they are very down to earth. I'm friendly with them. I shovel their walk sometimes, and they take my garbage cans back to my garage if I'm slow to do so.

The other person on the left of me is rarely home, and very bitchy. I steer clear of her.

Like Lithy, I own my house free and clear, with no mortgage. When I bought the house, I was making decent money and saved up quite a bit and my pops helped out. I can pretty much make it on minimum wage, although surprise bills and property taxes make it a little tricky.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Wow you people are going to get to retire? People born in the 80s or later are going to be working until we're fired for incontinence. Then we'll just keel over and die. They'll feed our remains to their children in liquid form.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Get a job?

See, I DID have a job! I was working at a TV station as a production assistant. They gave me the bells and whistles to come along and nothing came of it. I even work two other jobs and STILL couldn't make bank. It's tough when you're overqualified in a blue-collar state (unless you have stupid good connections).

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Wow you people are going to get to retire? People born in the 80s or later are going to be working until we're fired for incontinence. Then we'll just keel over and die. They'll feed our remains to their children in liquid form.

im right there with you brutha. if im lucky they wont force me to leave until im 65. maybe by then i will have figured out some form of gig where i can be my own boss.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Because of my disease,

You don't have a disease. You're just a humongous faggot who never learned how to live with other people. Your social skills are nil. Your parents failed you.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fuck you Greg you fucking loser. You'll be making excuses for yourself until the day you die, which can't come soon enough.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Drunkposts, more like it. This fucking retard has the gall to blame anything other than himself on his shortcomings. Here he is, himself, nearing 40 and nothing to show for it but an apparently dusty ass basement-house. Fuck him if he kills himself or if he doesn't, I don't care. The game's gone on long enough and he should be ashamed of what he is.

Fuck you Greg, you leech, you vermin. If you died tomorrow no one'd mourn you. Think about that and change yourself before it's too late, you autistic shit-for-brains. Or don't, tell yourself you have an incurable disease and die alone, I give a fuck what you do.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Anybody working someplace where they offer insurance and at least some sort of retirement plan that don't take advantage of it are retarded.

Fucking take your shitty 401k and roll it into a better plan at the end of every year. Make your shit company match the max every time you get paid.

Even if it's $40 every 2 weeks, that's $160 every month.

If they don't, set up your own shit. Get an IRA contribute and don't touch it.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Anybody working someplace where they offer insurance and at least some sort of retirement plan that don't take advantage of it are retarded.

Fucking take your shitty 401k and roll it into a better plan at the end of every year. Make your shit company match the max every time you get paid.

Even if it's $40 every 2 weeks, that's $160 every month.

If they don't, set up your own shit. Get an IRA contribute and don't touch it.

For sure. Company match is free money, I never understood why anyone would not take full advantage. My company matches penny for penny for the first 3%, then 50% for anything about 3% and less than 6%. So I contribute 6% and get 10%, there is your pay raise right there.

They also dump extra $$ in your 401k every year (not guaranteed, basically a defer bonus). I haven't seen this yet since I only started there in June, but it is pretty sweet.