Have you ever bough an expensive game which turned out to be a conversion/boot?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Even if you open up a $2,000 English RB2 homecart, the pcbs wouldn't look any different from a $200 Japanese RB2 homecart.

How about the roms, are they the same as the Japanese version?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
How about the roms, are they the same as the Japanese version?

That's like asking if Neo Geo games are arcade authentic.

Yes, the ROMs are the same between US and JP.

The only indication of a conversion is hand soldering on the ROMs. Other than that, conversions and originals are electronically the same. Board examination is no protection against fake english papers.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That's like asking if Neo Geo games are arcade authentic.

Yes, the ROMs are the same between US and JP.

The only indication of a conversion is hand soldering on the ROMs. Other than that, conversions and originals are electronically the same. Board examination is no protection against fake english papers.

That's awesome, lol.

Never opened a aes cart before. I thought maybe there was some sort of serial number or letters on the rom that would differentiate the regions. Didn't think it was that easy.

Last edited:

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
It's pretty scary these days if you are collecting High end carts. The quality of the boots is so high now. Even about 12-15 years ago when I was buying all mine it was a worry but now I'm actually not sure I would bother with the amount of quality boots about.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Every year I tell myself I gotta check if all my carts are legit but every year the collection gets bigger and I always postpone doing it. This year I SWEAR I'm doing it.

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Every year I tell myself I gotta check if all my carts are legit but every year the collection gets bigger and I always postpone doing it. This year I SWEAR I'm doing it.

AES or MVS?

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I've got 30 or so MVS games, and none of them have been boots.

My first 8 or so carts were acquired from a local seller here. A couple were Yaton carts. Everything else has been purchased from the forums, so I have barely any experience gambling on eBay.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
That doesn't even make sense you retard.

yeah of course it doesn't make sense to you. you are so stuck on stupid. make a pop shot at me claiming lies. then when i push back you have no clue what the fuck is going on. lmfao

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
yeah of course it doesn't make sense to you. you are so stuck on stupid. make a pop shot at me claiming lies. then when i push back you have no clue what the fuck is going on. lmfao

The irony of you calling other people stupid. Another post which doesn't make any sense.

Right on, special needs kid.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The irony of you calling other people stupid. Another post which doesn't make any sense.

Right on, special needs kid.

dude you making a fool of yourself and now you keep prolonging it. just had to drag out your embarrassment. just quit

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The same. The BIOS region of the system determines the language displayed.

Yes, I know that. I just didn't think you could take a Japanese Game, use a fancy laser printer and create a Eur/Us game label, insert and manual. I thought maybe there was more to it than that.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yes, I know that. I just didn't think you could take a Japanese Game, use a fancy laser printer and create a Eur/Us game label, insert and manual. I thought maybe there was more to it than that.

There really isn't. It's why DavidG's Aero Fighters 3 US had perfect soldering on the boards. Just buy up some Sonic Wings 3 carts and swap the papers. The costs are pretty meager when each resulting game is sold for $30k.

Now one might say "but his Power Spikes 2 carts also had perfect soldering". With such money on the line, it's possible he did use a wave soldering machine, but with Aero Fighters 3 at least, it was probably cheaper to buy some Sonic Wings 3 than to fire up a wave soldering machine.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There really isn't. It's why DavidG's Aero Fighters 3 US had perfect soldering on the boards. Just buy up some Sonic Wings 3 carts and swap the papers. The costs are pretty meager when each resulting game is sold for $30k.

Now one might say "but his Power Spikes 2 carts also had perfect soldering". With such money on the line, it's possible he did use a wave soldering machine, but with Aero Fighters 3 at least, it was probably cheaper to buy some Sonic Wings 3 than to fire up a wave soldering machine.

Interesting.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
With the mask ROMs themselves, you gotta remember that they were expensive to make, both back then and even more so now as the technology has fallen out of favor. When you have multiple different product platforms to release games on (MVS, AES, JPN, USA, EUR), you can't afford to waste money on different batches of mask ROMs for the same title. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that the Mask ROMs were the most expensive part of the average Neo Geo game either. Arcade games usually store all data for multiple regions anyway. It's most likely for this reason why SNK would release a game on one master batch of Mask ROMs and split them all up between the different sub-product lines. It's one example of why there are so many Metal Slug 1 MVS carts and so few on AES. 1996 was part of those dark years for SNK when they had a lot less money, having just stepped away from the financial loss on the Neo Geo CD. AES was kept probably because there was still enough interest from fans to make each release profitable, but not enough to warrant many AES carts of games like Metal Slug when it was doing so well in the arcades. Despite current values of AES Metal Slug X to 5 today, they were produced in very large quantities, for twilight years AES standards at least (that is to say, still low but not ridiculously low).

Long story short, Neo Geo mask ROMs always have the same basic information silkscreened onto them. There is the NGH number, SNK's internal cataloging system, then a bunch of metadata about the mask ROM itself, such as when it was made. Toshiba made Mask ROMs tow this line, but sometimes SNK used cheaper mask ROMs that only have the NGH number printed on them. Extra codes like P1, C1 and the like are placed after the NGH number to denote what kind of data is stored on the Mask ROM and where it goes on the boards.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

That's basically it. On my Magician Lord homecart the English label is directly applied over the Japanese label. Lazy SNK workers didn't even bother to peel off the old one first.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That said, the handful of conversions/bootlegs that I do own, I intentionally bought them because they were a fraction of the price I would've paid for a legit cart.
You buy bootlegs -> you're on my list of hate.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
dude you making a fool of yourself and now you keep prolonging it. just had to drag out your embarrassment. just quit
I think a lot of people would like him to just quit and leave this board.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think a lot of people would like him to just quit and leave this board.
pfff, Shroom is one of the quality members that make this place what it is... unlike yourself.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I bought the NGF Zupapa bootleg AES conversion a decade ago on the premise that I was going to expose those guys for the scammers they are. Of course, 100% of the community here already knew that, so there was no point to what I did. I was able to resell it for full price to some NGF bigtymer a few days after I got it.