Halo 3 Reviews Thread:

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I thought I'd start the inevitable Halo 3 Reviews thread:

Gamespot's review is up, and they basically bowed down before it. This is the link to the video review.

The first review I read was at The Globe and Mail "Canada's National Newspaper", and it wasn't as positive.

May as well get the obligatory "lol 360" out of the way so Kernow doesn't have to pour his bitterness all over this thread.

Please post any other review links of interest, and your own opinions when you get your hands on the game.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Before he even posts, I want to say that Kernow is a faggot, and I wish he would get banned off the face of the earth. I can't wait for this game.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I'm gonna make sure I find a way to spend some time with this game, even though I have low hopes since I hated Halo 2 and it looks like they have kept the majority of the gameplay mechanics from that game and not the first.

That said, if there was a bigger group of tools than IGN, I think they're Gamespot employees. Jesus. Did that guy just spend nearly 2 minutes talking about the storyline of Halo? I think the newspaper had it right with "the conclusion of the Halo trilogy has nothing that a competent science-fiction writer couldn't get across in four or five pages."

So Forge Mode is just a way to set up 'hilarious' chains of explosive barrels to send your own Master Chief flying over the horizon? Somehow I doubt a level editor where players will only create humorous situations or stack the level in one teams favor will create much replay value.

I know I'm focusing on the negative, but I expect the game to be alright solo, co-op, and multi-player, but I doubt the game is the godsend that Gamespot wants us to think it is.

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Before he even posts, I want to say that Kernow is a faggot, and I wish he would get banned off the face of the earth. I can't wait for this game.

lol kernow

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Spike Spiegel said:

lol kernow

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:

lol kernow

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Why have I made the only useful post in this thread so far?

I don't even own a 360.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Are you sure this is a new game? I'm watching some shitty video review on youtube and it looks like they're just rereleasing halo 1/2 with slightly better graphics.

Same enemies, weapons, vehicles, and areas. Nothing making go, "wow thats new I want to play that." Pass!

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Dear kernow,

Suicide is not the answer.

Sincerely,
galfordo

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
The Drizzle said:
Are you sure this is a new game? I'm watching some shitty video review on youtube and it looks like they're just rereleasing halo 1/2 with slightly better graphics.

Same enemies, weapons, vehicles, and areas. Nothing making go, "wow thats new I want to play that." Pass!

lol

your opinion

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The Drizzle said:

Kind of a funny post because I'm quite far from a Halo fan and the stuff I've been seeing about Halo 3 lately has actually caught my attention by a fair amount.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The Drizzle said:
You're exactly right. (Pirate Bay FTW!)

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
lol kernow

lol bandwagon Halo bashing

lol 360

Crecente at Kotaku has been posting his review/impressions all day. The general consensus seems to be that unless you're already a fan, the game is "Great, but not Amazing."

Gamespot is just prone to fanboyism.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
lol Crecente's stupid face.

edit: so was it Matrix type fluke? where the first one made the buzz and the sequels nourished from it, even though in themselves they where utter crap.

just wondering. I wish I liked FPS more - they just don't do it for me.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Halo is one of those titles that is instantly hailed as one of “The best games ever made”…then when the next is released, it’s “The best game ever made”…when the next is released it’s “The best game ever made”…

Another FPS…love it or hate it. When Halo 4 comes out, Halo 3 will be forgotten and join the ranks of 2 and 1. It’s a fucking FPS…not a masterpiece, nothing more than what’s cool right now.

15 years form now when collectors are scrambling to get the actual “good” games that right now get little press, they’ll be passing over copies of Halo 1-10 marked $.99 sitting along side Madden 5,000,000.

Another day, another system, other FPS Halo title…big whoop. This is no different than the 1-on-1 fighters of the 90's...a new one every month and no real changes other than a slight graphics upgrade and a few different features. Years from now we'll be having the "Man, the XBox could have been a great system if it hadn't been for the flood of FPS titles and little else" conversation...quite like the Neo was over 10 years ago.

Last edited:

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Buro Destruct said:
lol kernow

lol bandwagon Halo bashing

lol 360

Crecente at Kotaku has been posting his review/impressions all day. The general consensus seems to be that unless you're already a fan, the game is "Great, but not Amazing."

Gamespot is just prone to fanboyism.

Honestly, I'll gladly accept a great game.

Any game that gets me to sit down and play it all the way through in a short period of time would get that rating from me.

GoW was the last "great" game I played all the way through. And before that it was Halo 2. I've played many more games in these years as well, and even played some all the way through, but those were two games I remember grabbing me from start to finish.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm not anticipating 3 to be anything that puts the first 2 to shame. I don't expect to run into too many new character types as every clip I have seen implies I will still be fighting the same 3 main mob types 90% of the time, but I didn't get overwhelmed with new content with the expansion to FEAR either and I loved that. I am more interested in the conclusion of the story than nuances in the game since I had fun with both of the previous titles as they were. Well, less fun once the flood was introduced in 2 which turned the game into a Serious Sam style run-n-gun, but until then the game entertained me.

I also agree that the oh-so-clever create a map concepts look worthless as they have been shown. I watched the entire video released on Gametrailers.com the other day with a wry grin and one eyebrow cocked as the Bungie guys gushed on and on about the greatness of what amounts to 12 yr olds moving spawns, weapons, ammo and flags to a point most beneficial to them if they choose the right side. And, wow, 30 stories of explosive boxes.... ooooh, be amazed!

Of course, I have never really been all that interested in many games' online components anyway. I don't feel the need to get berated by some angst ridden teen because I don't play with the same "m4d 5k!11z" he does since I don't have 30 hours a week to devote to Halo. I got more than my fill of that with WoW PVP during both weeks that I bothered with it. If the game has a single player version of multiplayer with bots filling in the roster along with 3-4 of my friends I will be more than happy to try it; if not I doubt I will ever take it online.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
smokehouse said:
Halo is one of those titles that is instantly hailed as one of “The best games ever made”…then when the next is released, it’s “The best game ever made”…when the next is released it’s “The best game ever made”…

Another FPS…love it or hate it. When Halo 4 comes out, Halo 3 will be forgotten and join the ranks of 2 and 1. It’s a fucking FPS…not a masterpiece, nothing more than what’s cool right now.

15 years form now when collectors are scrambling to get the actual “good” games that right now get little press, they’ll be passing over copies of Halo 1-10 marked $.99 sitting along side Madden 5,000,000.

Another day, another system, other FPS Halo title…big whoop. This is no different than the 1-on-1 fighters of the 90's...a new one every month and no real changes other than a slight graphics upgrade and a few different features. 15 years from now we'll be having the "Man, the XBox could have been a great system if it hadn't been for the flood of FPS titles and little else" conversation...quite like the Neo was over 10 years ago.
I don't agree at all. within the genre (which I personally don't hold much affinity for, but was in love with the original quake and it's sequel) it could offer something previously... unoffered (oh dear...)
I think Halo represents the breakthrough - FPS on home console and live play. so it's always been alot more than just another FPS.

and as for the comment on fighting games. lol.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I really did enjoy Halo when it came out. I had a whole lot of fun and was very happy when I found that I could drive the jeep through a doorway. That was one of the best things I had ever gotten to do in a game. Also it was kind of fun to kill the grunts when you have a tank. Nothing quite like super overkill firepower.
Really though the multi player mode and playing capture the flag was the best part I thought. I spent a great many hours online getting banned from servers and such for not cheating. Also the flamethrower was cool.

I could not stand halo 2 though. It just seemed to me like they took the first game and toned it down to turn it into a kids game for the xbox live. I did not pick it up for the pc as the xbox verson was a let down to me.

I still would like to try 3 though and see if it is at least as good as the first. I kind of think from what I have been seeing that it will just be another interchangable first person shooter, with little more than the halo name to make it stand out. I hope I am wrong though.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
smokehouse said:

Another day, another system, other FPS Halo title…big whoop. This is no different than the 1-on-1 fighters of the 90's...a new one every month and no real changes other than a slight graphics upgrade and a few different features. Years from now we'll be having the "Man, the XBox could have been a great system if it hadn't been for the flood of FPS titles and little else" conversation...quite like the Neo was over 10 years ago.

I would have to agree.

SSS

neo retired
The Drizzle said:

and such is true about any videogame sequel, ever