Good deal? Bad deal?

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
My friend wants to sell me his Hitachi 50vs69a LCD 1080i rear projection TV for $400 Canadian and it comes with an extra bulb.

He says his mom used it to watch TV, so it's barely used.

Good deal or bad deal?

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
My friend wants to sell me his Hitachi 50vs69a LCD 1080i rear projection TV for $400 Canadian and it comes with an extra bulb.

He says his mom used it to watch TV, so it's barely used.

Good deal or bad deal?

If you never plan on playing games on it, its an alright deal. Otherwise, I would pass

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Aging projection TV's are sort of a pain in the ass between the bulbs and the convergence.

Not only that, but they are so fucking big too. Takes up too much space and a pain in the ass to move.

If it's free I'd take it, otherwise just pass. Watch how quickly that $400 price drops when they can't get rid of it.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
My only real concern is the lag....what's the best way to test a screen for lag?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I'd pass simply because of how cheap new TVs have gotten.

Maybe 3-4 years ago this would have been worth it, but not anymore. $400 can go a long way if you search online for new deals.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I'd pass for sure.

Best Buy:
Sony - BRAVIA 40" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - $630
Panasonic - VIERA 42" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma - $540

They aren't as big as that "50...but I'd rather have one of the above.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Here's another question, how much should I pay for it? I mean I can throw out a number for him and if he doesn't sell it for what he wants then he may come back to me and reconsider my offer.

Again, it comes with an extra bulb and the one in it is relatively new, so it's got at least another 4-6 years of life in it.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
LCD projections are nice DLP are a little better and a bunch lighter , lag should not be an issue on either one . the fact that it does not do 1080p makes it worthless. $150-200 max if you are kind ,i am not joking.

Not much of a friend trying to rip you off.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v157/hibikster/TV/

I went and checked out the TV....took some pics. The specs are not bad, I ran a timer on the TV and laptop to see the delay as well. I also brought him down to 350 but told him not to wait for me if he finds another seller.

The size of the TV is very tempting, and it would make a great centrepiece for my living room upstairs (I got it fully furnished except for the TV).

I figured I wouldn't make a final decision until I see it for myself and take some shots so you guys can also give me your opinion on it after seeing it.

Thanks for all your advice guys. I know a lot of you really know what you're talking about when it comes to these things and I really appreciate it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
RPTV's suffer from PQ hot spots...but other than that...it's an ok set for the $$. I'd give no more than $250 for it though...

The comment on 1080i-vs-1080p is off...for anything you're going to watch...1080i is fine...

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
I mentioned this in my first post...but I think it's being overlooked. The bulb has been recently replaced PLUS it comes with an extra bulb for when this one dies..I looked it up and the bulb by itself sells for 200-300 bucks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
hell man, just go for it.

I'm not one of those guys who knows what he's talking about when it comes to TVs, that'd be someone like smokehouse, but it sounds like you really want it so just, just go for it brah

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
You know the funny thing is I didn't want to come off as sounding like I wanted it. I just wanted to put out all the cards on the table regarding what it came with just so I can make an educated decision with the help of your suggestions lol.

It really does seem like a nice TV. I played a bit of Super SF4 on it and I did notice a bit of lag between hitting the button and the move actually happening but I was still able to put together all my combos without much issues.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Don't projection tvs get burn in easily? Even if you don't pause, playing games on it would cause damage (take SSF4 for example, the health bar is stationary).