GODly intros. And you thought the SNES had the best music. :)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Anyway, I know many never got to check out the Amiga in its prime, but I still remember some of my fondest tunes on the Amiga. Of course, this isn't the best, but it is one of the nostalic gems of the machine. Oddly enough, no other port of the game got the intro music at this quality. It's a one of a kind. Here it is, at the link.

LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viP-Oqnt6Gs

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
ah the days before everyone had PCs, where some of the greatest gaming was to be had on computers such as the immaculate Amiga. days of yonder.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
1200 is compatible with most 500 games.

best to get one with AGA

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Gods' intro was great. Although Turrican II is the one game that I usually play once I go on an Amiga kick. :)

DevilRedeemed said:
is Amiga 1200 compatible with the A500? I'm thinking of picking one up. this old school game looks nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga81CuEJO0

Genetic Species is one of the game that requires an upgraded system. (I think it requires AGA and at least a fast 030). I'm actually impressed that it works that well on an 030-50.

The A1200 is somewhat compatible to an A500. It has a 68020 CPU running at 12mHz instead of a 68000 running at 7. It has 2 megs of chip ram, and runs the AGA chipset instead of the OCS/ECS chipset with 512K/1meg of chip ram.

Compatibility can be hit-or-miss with some older A500 games, and occasionally you can tweak the some of the features to increase compatibility. There are utilities like WHDLoad that allows you to install games onto your Harddrive and patches games to work with an upgraded system. (You can sometimes have games that might not work on an expanded A500.)

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Go get a 1200, you'll get almost every game (at least the ones worth playing) it's really really expandable. Get a Powerpc card and run 3.9 on that bitch.

www.softhut.com

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Not to mention, there are actual software loaders for A1200 that allow you yto run ALL A500 games, just for those really rare and obscure ones that don't.

In general, pretty much every ancient (pre 1200) game I've kept in my library could run by simply having the A1200 boot up in ECS mode. That is, if I needed to.

And thanks for putting up that link to the Shadow of the Beast III games. Man I remember that one. It was a side-scrolling platform shooter style game, but was more like an expanded adventure with puzzles all through it.

Certain teams in Psygnosis were the Kings of Parrallax scrolling. It was almost as if they invented the stuff. Graphically, I always thought the first two were a bit more impressive, but I guess III sort of has more interaction and puzzles. I remember the first Shadow of the Beast, on Amiga had about 11 levels of parallax scrolling. A few of them were in the foreground, several in the background, and another set for the sky. There's hardly any other 2D side scrollers (for arcade or any home machine, to this day) or even ports of the Shadow of the Beast that have insane parrallax like some of the Amiga ones. Agony was a bunch of eye candy, as well.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
thanks all.
seriously, as old school gamers, I think it's really important that we embrace these games too, as part of a wider legacy. there was incredible art and imagination invested in home computer games - the music in some cases is beyond excellent - real musicians, it was more than videogame music as established by console gaming.

happy new year people.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
dumb question alert.

They don't use standard PC style 3.5" disks do they? Is it possible to download games on PC, copy them to floppies, etc...wash and repeat?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
They actually do. However, they normally format the disks into a different-sized format. Instead of the old Double-Density disks at 720, I think they were formatted to 800. But that's it, mainly.

If you use an Amiga 1200, you'll probably get Workbench 3.1 or higher. They can mount PC devices to the built-in floppy drive and/or additional external ones. That allows them to read Double Density formatted PC disks (the 720K ones).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
what are some good 1200 specific games?
@kirk: the parrallax scrolling in the SOTB series is stunning. I don't think there's been a game since that has been similar in spirit to these games. there's something really out there about them - like living alien art.

I'm trying to think of the shooter with the music done by dance music artists. damn.. can't remember right now.
had some heavy old school beats- was awesome.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Amiga prolly has the most wow factor from any 16bit this side of Neo Geo, perhaps more impressive in some ways.

Regarding Shadow of the Beast, it just must be the best mix of 2d graphics and music designed.....I have the originals of all 3 :D

Psygnosis were amazing, shame Sony gobbled em up.

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
oh ok. I live near Luxembourg and like 90% of the black people there come from Cape Verde so when I go over there they always ask me am I Cape Verdean. Most of the time they think i'm lying when i tell them no. I can speak some portuguese too so that doesn't help. When they ask me what are you and I say "American & Jamaica but my american side is Creole" they say "oh you mean like crioulo " then I shake my head.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The main thing I always stress about these intros and the music (at least with the Amiga) was that this was still all before we used CD-based consoles and such. The music you hear, is being heard right from the sound chips of the machine itself, not some pre-recorded CD music. Heck, I can outdo many of the CD-based musical intros with my studio, so they impress me less. But we're talking music that generally takes 100KB or less and still rocks.

The Amiga often used samples in its tracks, but then you had realtime sample manipulation and mixing done right with the tracker and the Paula soundchip. This allows full length, great quality music, to be produced with very little memory needed. I actually programmed quite a few tunes between the C64s SID chip, and the Amiga's Paula. The Ami, I had a lot of fun with, because you find inventive ways to make stereo 4 hardware channels sound like a whole lot more. I'm thinking of uploading a bunch of my "Mystik Tank" soundtrack songs (all Amiga), for people to sample. Every song is around 80K or less, since I wanted only a small section of chip memory to be used for music (all of it was meant to be used in a videogame, with some songs providing background music to computer animation w/sound). The game was to run on the AGA machines, even with just 2MB Chip Ram factory defaults. It ended up being one of the many unfinished projects late in Amiga's popular lifecycle, due to a loss of programmers needed to finish it.