Global Revolution Launch after March '06; PS3 Under $400?

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136453.html

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that the company is aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release for its next-generation gaming console, the Revolution. Iwata also confirmed that the system will be coming out after March in 2006.

Talking about the Revolution in an interview with Nikkei Business, Iwata stated, "I can only say that it's coming out during 2006, but it will be after the current fiscal year. We hope to make it a simultaneous worldwide release as much as it's possible."

Since the current fiscal year for Nintendo ends on March 31, 2006, it means the Revolution, as predicted by analysts, will likely be released somewhere between April 1 and December 31, 2006.

When asked by Nikkei Business if he has any specific sales figure targeted for the Revolution, Iwata stated that he hopes the console will sell at least more than the GameCube, which has shipped 18.76 million units as of June.

"It [the Revolution] would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube," said Iwata.

The system's controller, which was revealed in September, was the focus of much of the console's buzz. Surprisingly, Iwata revealed to Nikkei that Nintendo's former president Hiroshi Yamauchi was not involved in any way with the creation of the Revolution's controller.

Iwata told Nikkei Business that the Revolution's controller uses several different types of technology, though he did not go into specifics. However, he did note that the controller can be used with any kind of monitor, even digital projectors.

As for the PS3:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145024

In the past months, the Japanese blog CoolGamer has been a dependable source of early information regarding the Japanese game market. Not once has their news turned out to be a false lead, so that's why it was pretty important today when the site updated with a small notice saying "PS3 price set below 40000 Yen," which is about $400 at current exchange rates.

In the update, the blogger writes, "In the latest Famitsu, a very important person mentioned that the PS3 price would not be over 40000yen". This information correlates to a previous comment from a Sony rep a few months back, who mentioned the same price. With any luck this will turn out to be the case, and Japan will see the PS3 in the spring of 2006 for slightly under $400.

One thing to note though is that the PS2 was also released in Japan for a bit under 40000 yen, but when it came to the U.S. it was sold for a hundred dollars less at $299. It's not out of the question that same sort of pricing scheme will be employed this time as well.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hope the Rev launches in the spring as I'm dying to see it in action. I just want to know how much it is going to cost.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
If anything it would be 400 for the core system...

...And it would ony be available in some retarded bundle.

Oh how I wish Nintendo wasn't using that fucking TV remote.

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
Ok first, I am no fanboy of any system. However I can honestly say "Why is Nintendont even bothering to release a half ass system, WHY"?
What a waist of time. The Revolution is a fuckin joke to say the least.

I really had high hopes for the big "N", but I am now so upset with them, that I refuse to support their fuckin lame as company and habbits. Their complete lack of innovation and disinterest in making something really innovative, and trade all that for a rehashing of the same shit with prettier colors has left a good portion of their gamers stranded in my opionion.
Sure their numbers on an overall maybe inpressive, but are they really satisfying the major, or is it that most people are trying to have a small grip of faith and buying their half ass shit with the hope it is good or will get better?
I think it's that and a combo of their cheap prices for systems and games, which inturn is a lack of initial sales and long term sales, because they're losing to the other innovators and companies.
Ever since the SuperFamicom/SNES, they have been on a constant downward spiral.

On another note, despite Sony's lack of quality which I personally never had an issue with, should the PS3 really come out at $400....THEY WILL FUCKIN OWN!

Last edited:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
i dont give a rats ass about the revolution, as far as i'm concerned nintendo is out of the console market

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Their complete lack of innovation and disinterest in making something really innovative, and trade all that for a rehashing of the same shit with prettier colors has left a good portion of their gamers stranded in my opionion.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Change your sig too man, it stretches out the whole page.

Anyway, the idea that they would release a console in the spring or summer is pretty funny. Because we all know its going to come out in November or December.
Nobody buys people presents for Easter or the Fourth of July.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'll give the REv. the benifit of the doubt...

When the DS came out, everyone complained about every feature.........
Gimmick this and Gimmick that. The new Virtual Boy.... Bla Bla Bla....

Now that the Devs have embraced the DS's innovation, they are making some kick ass games for it.

Nintendo also has an exclusive deal with* the #2 Video Game Publisher in the world.

*as

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
Nesagwa said:
Sigh. :rolleyes:

Change your sig too man, it stretches out the whole page.

Negative, I have had this sig since the birth of my account. I am on a 15 monitor and it does NOT stretch the screen. So if you're on a PSP sized screen and on the web and you're getting stretching... well, so sorry change your ratios. And to boot, since the birth of my account, you have been the only one to make such a statement.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I didn't read the previous Revelution threads or any other speculations, so sorry if this is known by now, but some developers say the Revolution's remote will work exactly like the DS' stylus, except that you can do more things with it.

please, ignore this post if that was very obvious.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
GT40PWR said:
Negative, I have had this sig since the birth of my account. I am on a 15 monitor and it does NOT stretch the screen. So if you're on a PSP sized screen and on the web and you're getting stretching... well, so sorry change your ratios. And to boot, since the birth of my account, you have been the only one to make such a statement.
It does it to mine too. Change it bitch.

There is no way the REV will cost $400. No more than $300 and probably $250.

Whatever you assclowns want to say about Nintendo and a lack of innovation I have one request for you:

Give me a single innovation by either Sony or Microsoft.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
"Iwata stated that he hopes the console will sell at least more than the GameCube, which has shipped 18.76 million units as of June.

"It [the Revolution] would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube," said Iwata."

There you go.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
D-Lite said:

EyeToy
DVD playback
Dual analog sticks
Backwards compatibility
HDD integration on consoles

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
D-Lite said:

Eyetoy and Xbox Live. I thought hard drives were innovative...but they aren't really need from what I'm now being told.

EDIT: Mushiki beat me to it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
EyeToy
DVD playback
Dual analog sticks
Backwards compatibility
HDD integration on consoles

EyeWhat?

I thought D-Lite was going for game-related innovation, but watching "The Matrix" on my PS2 was pretty cool.

Dual Analog is nice.

Backwards compatibility has been around long before Sony or Microsoft came onto the gaming scene.

I guess HDD integration is innovative in a sense, but consoles had been slowly becoming more and more like PC's, so the addition of this becoming a standard feature was really the next logical step that anybody could see coming.

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Average Joe said:

EyeToy

Many EyeToy games are very innovative and entertaining, even if you don't like the peripheral.

Regarding backwards compatibility, Sony was the first company to take advantage of it since... since the really "old" days.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Mushiki said:
EyeToy

Many EyeToy games are very innovative and entertaining, even if you don't like the peripheral.

Regarding backwards compatibility, Sony was the first company to take advantage of it since... since the really "old" days.

Gameboy?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
EyeToy

I wasn't being a smartass with that "EyeWhat?" comment.

I seriously didn't know what it was until I looked it up a minute ago.

Mushiki said:

The Game Boy Color did it as early as 1998.

(I don't consider 1998 to be too far in the past.)

But still, within the context of the definition of the word "innovative", even if Sony helped make it [backwards compatibility] popular on consoles with the PS2, it's still not truly innovative.

EDIT: Correct dates = good

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Man I'm so fucking worried on how zelda will be on the rev. I mean seriously. I'm a nintendo fan and supporter at heart. I'm a big motherfucker with big ass hands. How small is the rev controller? Thats my main question so far.

H

hermegildo

D-Lite said:
Whatever, at least they're not the ones with deluding themselves into thinking that they'll change the world of gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope Nintendo achieves that, but I'm more than skeptical as of right now. If the DS is part of this revolution, then I'm just underwhelmed and slightly disappointed.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
$400 USD for a PS3?
Looks like I wont have to save up as much as I thought... :tickled:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I wonder if Sony is going to feel the pressure to add an HD at the 400 price point since MS is doing it.

I'm not too thrilled with the remote control gaming system

more than likely, the Rev will be a secondary option for a lot of gamers

I probably won't buy a PS3 or 360 until I see something that interests me

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
D-Lite said:
It does it to mine too. Change it bitch.

There is no way the REV will cost $400. No more than $300 and probably $250.

Whatever you assclowns want to say about Nintendo and a lack of innovation I have one request for you:

Integrated Voice and standardized online play for consoles.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Average Joe said:
EyeWhat?

I thought D-Lite was going for game-related innovation, but watching "The Matrix" on my PS2 was pretty cool.

Dual Analog is nice.

Backwards compatibility has been around long before Sony or Microsoft came onto the gaming scene.

I guess HDD integration is innovative in a sense, but consoles had been slowly becoming more and more like PC's, so the addition of this becoming a standard feature was really the next logical step that anybody could see coming.
I agree with AJ's take here.

The EyeToy is a pure gimmick. If you can't admit that then you are the very definition of fanboy. There are few things that use it and those are mostly kiddie games.

Backwards compatibility? Please. Every Gameboy release is backwards compatible.

Integrated HD could be considered an innovation only if you don't consider it simply a bigger memory card. And even if you want to consider it separate from that it's still not an innovation. Computers as game machines is nothing new and that's all the XBox is anyway. And yes you can buy a dirt cheap computer to game on. And as I recall the Commodore 64 was mainly a game machine and had harddrives too.

DVD playback is a cheap one since any CD-based system was backwards compatible from day one. Meaning, if the gaming media is CD-based it's no big leap to be able to play CD music on it. If the PS2 couldn't play DVD movies that would be incredibly stupid. That is hardly an innovation since it used DVD media anyways.

Dual analog sticks? Haha. Since the N64 was the first to use any analog stick, adding a second one for the PS2 is a HUGE innovation, right?

And before you fanboy up Mushiki, you won't find me touting the innovations in the DS. Touch screens are nothing new and the two screens may be a first but not a big innovation. The real deal is making games that turn those "gimmicks" into required accessories.

:kekeke: EyeToy