GB: PCB Boxes: See Last Post - Shipping...the troubles

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Payment also sent. When you're ready to pickup, let me know and I'll meet ya somewhere. :buttrock:

West

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Payment sent. Thank you for putting this together.

All the best

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Ordered; $805.76. Looks like 5.5% was added on as WI sales tax - so that'll be added to the shipping, will come out to $0.25-$1 on smaller orders and up to $2~ on the larger orders. I'll get in touch w/AHCMetal to coordinate the pickup and meetup w/me.

Since they must be in quantities of 25 (even on local pickup :/ ) there are some extra greens that will be available.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Updating - AHCMetal is picking these up Saturday and i'm meeting him the following Saturday to pick them up from him. They should go out the following Tuesday, so around 9.30.14

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Oh my.

200 boxes...takes up a ton of real estate. The CPS2 boxes are 3' tall and 3' wide.

I hate to say - it may be easier to fold these before shipping. I'll only do that if the owner is ok w/it. For larger orders they should maintain their integrity, but for the smaller orders, if shipped flat, I worry a bit, I think theyd do better being made up first.

I fully understand why ULine won't ship in smaller quantities as well - it just wouldn't work

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Do whatever you got to do to ship mine, I trust your judgement. 3' x 3' before folding is huge. Let's see some pics of those 200 boxes.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Here's some pics - not sure if the camera is picking it up - but it's just a mass of cardboard.

Spoiler:

cKN1EWe.jpg

These shelves are 9" apart and the SMALL F3 boxes vertically span 4 shelves:
jlSv1iR.jpg

ylB5L9V.jpg

Contrasted against a CPS2 board:
IIEFt2r.jpg

...so yeah, give me a few days to properly box these and get them headed to y'all.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
...i'm embarrassed...and stumped, gentlemen.

These are nigh impossible to safely re-package - they really require the bulk and weight of many boxes to maintain their structure; as well as thick mm factory shrink. I'm just at a loss...I just spent 20 mins, $3 worth of saran wrap and about $1 of duct tape to do one package...and I still don't love it.

I'm open to ideas - but here's what i'm thinking now:
1) I can fold these over one time at the lid back seem. That will make them half the size they are now. It will increase the bulk as well...and cut in half the amound of saran (or maybe even fit in a garbage bag, and then duct it - I think this is my preferred option).

2) I can refund you.

3) I can put the boxes together and put them in a larger box (this would work best on orders of 7-8 or less, otherwise it would take 2 boxes or more and would really inflate the shipping.

4) ...other?

Here's a pic of the first package...which i'm undoing now...
Spoiler:
7Gi0sEv.jpg

llv7dtH.jpg

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hmm can you take to to a UPS store and have them pack and ship it? Dammit why did I order so many haha

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
1) I can fold these over one time at the lid back seem. That will make them half the size they are now. It will increase the bulk as well...and cut in half the amound of saran (or maybe even fit in a garbage bag, and then duct it - I think this is my preferred option).

Piggybacking off of this idea, you could wrap a protective layer of cardboard around the boxes after they've been folded as you described. I walk by a Circle K daily and they regularly have these giant cardboard boxes in the trash that they receive their foam cups in. You could round up some of those boxes and cut them up for the protective cardboard to wrap around your folded boxes. Just a thought.
-ud

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
@ ninja, I can - everyone will get killed on charges though i'd imagine.

@ jeffpin, yeah, for sure, for smaller orders that'll work.

@ undamned - I work at a place w/a ton of boxes and this was my initial thought when I first thought this would work - I wasn't prepared for the unfolded size...they are 38" at their longest edge - those solo cup boxes are 36".

I just did this idea though - here's what i'm doing and I think it'll work:
Wrap tightly in saran. Duct tape. Wrap in 2 plastic garbage bags. Duct tape. I've done one and it feels firm and I think it'll work. If any are damaged; i'll refund anyone's purchase.

Here's a snap shot of the latest package:
Spoiler:
27qeMSZ.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I’d sandwich them in slightly larger cardboard than the stacks, that way when the edges get banged, it’s won’t damage the contents.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Good news / bad news...Good news first: feeling a bit better about this - though, i'm not going to get everything out this weekend; my apologies. Take your time cutting these open - there are layers of packaging - if you cut carefully along the top or bottom seem you should be able to slide them out after a couple layers. I'm out of spare cardboard as well as duct tape but I do have the following ready:

Urmyokazu -
Adderall -
Jeffpin -
West -
Zenblaster -

Here's a pic - i'll get the rest up and going later this upcoming week:
Spoiler:
51nv7kS.jpg

Bad news - 25 of the green boxes (the entire pack) have some creasing to one of the interior flaps. It won't show once put together - but still frustrating. Another pack of the greens (of 25) has the same crease AND some tears to the glossy green paper layer - most are not bad, but worth noting for sure. I'll try to keep the worst ones for myself as it is only one side and can be displayed on the opposite side. I did message ULine to see what they say, if the give a refund, or a partial on those - i'll of course let you all know and will refund it back to you.

Here's a pic of the worst one i've seen so far:
Spoiler:
bh7hGvA.jpg

Lastly - the red boxes do not have as clearly defined fold points - be sure to turn them brown side up to see the faint lines and take your time folding them. I will say - these do look really slick and are very firm.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Holy ughh...

So ULine was very responsive to the minor and moderate damage. They apologized and said they will send out replacements late last night.

Now today they called and asked me to send back the ones with damage. I told them unfortunately a couple went out before I noticed where they had the seam damage. As for the rest - they are really difficult to pack and ship without access to thick poly wrap and a shrink machine. She said, "Oh, let me see how we can get them back - we may just have UPS grab them loose and redeliver to us then." (keep in mind, they have photos, they know what the damage is, no matter how minor, they certainly wouldn't resell them - why spend the cost to have them hand-picked up and delivered back only to dispose of them?)

That isn't the worst part - so this morning I get an invoice on the replacements. I assume the charge will say $0.00. Nope, the charge is the full $200 PLUS they rebilled the entire orginal order for $800+ (so grand total of $1,000+). Now, ULine is a good company and i'm sure this is an error that i'll be able to rectify. However, the thought of now having to possibly repack the remaining damaged ones and try to sort out these charges that are now on my card is frustrating. They actually have really good customer phone support so I don't think it will take long...but still...ughh.

Spoiler:
aw9uW5Y.png

Last edited:

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Oh, man. The fun never ends. Hey, if you are still trying to figure out optimal ways of shipping boxes to people, really the the main part you need protected are the edges (not the big flat surfaces), so you could just wrap a strip of cardboard around each of the 4 edges and then plastic the whole thing up after that. Should help keep the edges from getting too dinged up in transit.
-ud