mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Greetings,

UPDATE: Taking payments, placing order on MONDAY, 9.15.14
Please send amount below to mjmjr25 AT hotmail DOT com as GIFT or + 3.5%
This is for the cost of the boxes only, they are being picked up locally in the next 7-14 days, then i'll be shipping them out to you - that will be a second payment, as GOODS. Be sure to check ALL of your totals below if you are buying multiple styles of boxes.

i'm buying 75 Green / 75 Blue CPS2 sized boxes, current price at 100 rate, $4.05/ea (down from $4.25 under 100 total)
I'm buying 25 Red F3 (13x10x2) sized boxes, rate at 25 is $2.65/ea
I'm buying 25 Red Namco system 10 and 12 (12x12x2) sized boxes at $3.60/ea

Prices DO NOT include shipping from me to you. I do have a neo member (AHCMetal) local to the shop who has offered to pick these up for us, and then i'll either pick up or meet him. Boxes must be bought in minimum increments of 25.

CPS2 List:
renmauzo (7 green / 2 blue) - $36.45 PAID - see update on page 4
CURRENT TOTAL (65 GREEN / 70 BLUE) --- 10 GREEN / 5 BLUE AVAILABLE

F3 (RED option) List:

Namco System 10 / 12 (RED option) List:

SHIPPED/DELIVERED/PACKED:
Spoiler:

Delivered:
mjmjr25
AHCMetal
Poodude

Shipped:
Jeffpin
West
Adderall
ZenBlaster
WestCB
Urmyokazu

PACKED:
TravistyOJ
WupWuh
Sorwah
Ninjainspandex
KalessinDB

Last edited:

West

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm in for 8 green cps2 boxes.

Thanks Mmmjr25. You're the MAN with the group buys.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
If only they would hold CPS2 B boards+A :(

An A+B is about 3 1/8" - it does work, but it's a very tight fit and the lid will have very slight bulging. I do store my A boards w/B boards in them, but yes, I wish there were another 1/4" clearance.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Anyone else? Your boards deserve comfortable accomodations, heathens.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Is there any particular reason Uline can't accommodate a mix of colours for the CPS2 boxes? I would love to get 6 green and 2 blue so that my boards are colour coded...otherwise, 8 green would be good too. Thanks for setting this up; I've been looking for a good storage solution for CPS2!

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Is there any particular reason Uline can't accommodate a mix of colours for the CPS2 boxes? I would love to get 6 green and 2 blue so that my boards are colour coded...otherwise, 8 green would be good too. Thanks for setting this up; I've been looking for a good storage solution for CPS2!

Let me message them tomorrow and find out - if not, if there is enough interest, I suppose I could do 25 blue / 25 green. I'm in no rush to close this out per se, just holding out hope there are a few more folks who could use those NAMCO size boxes (or other smaller PCB's).

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Fug it put me down for 15 blue CPS 2
Well then, that would def. put us at the number for blue as i'll grab some too then - may as well have mine exact I suppose.

Repeating myself - i'm really hoping for the 12x12x2 red boxes - I can't justify 25 on my own - so will leave this a few more days in hopes a couple people might like them. They could do any PCB that size or smaller, but are just ideal for the NAMCO Sys. 10's.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've thought about joining in the group buy, but I assumed that shipping would kill the deal for me (and all Canadians). So I've looked at the Uline site (and they have a Canadian side :D), and saw that there's cheaper box that would fit the CPS2 B boards. Then while searching online, I found this, which point to these 18 x 12 x 3" boxes.

So I got to ask, are the colored one worth 3 time the price? Also, if 18'' is long enough (including foam padding), why go for an even longer box? I’ll probably order the cheaper one soon-ish for myself, but I would really like to know if I’m better off with the colored ones.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
In response to Genetik:

Good questions.

I found those boxes when I first started looking awhile ago and I used them first.

They also claim to have been subject to the 200lb weight test - I can tell you the 19x12x3 colored mailers are firmer.

The boxes you linked are a single flap closure - which if you stack them is fine, but if you store alone or vertically, that tab lifts open and if you are OCD, will drive you nuts.

After those I moved to the firmer yet, white colored boxes which have tab locks (keeping the lids closed) which are a little over $2/each http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...x-12-x-3-White-Tab-Locking-Literature-Mailers - these are just white cardboard though and while more attractive than the brown, still don't have any built in moisture protection. The more expensive boxes have a gloss exterior which slows/prevents the boxes from absorbing moisture in the air - a problem with the brown and white.

The biggest thing for me though - is aesthetics. A softer, standard brown cardboard box, with the lid popping open, and absorbing moisture or a shiny, firmer, attractive box keeping moisture out and the lid closed to me is worth the extra cost. It's honestly personal preference - i'd rather spend $6-7 (shipped) to properly protect and display my $100-200 boards than spend $3 (shipped) to only partially protect and display.

Regarding 18" vs 19" - a cps2 board is just over 17" and yes, the 18's do work nicely with a layer of bubble surrounding the board but no, you can't get foam on the vertical sides in the smaller box. That isn't my personal worry at all, but if you do plan on placing 3/4" foam on all 4 sides and the bottom, you'll want the 19".

Regarding shipping - yep, CAN is tricky always, the key is to get as much as you can, under 4lbs.

For example - shipping one box, sandwiched between shipping cardboard is gonna run about $10 at 13 oz total ($10/box). However, shipping 8 boxes at 3lbs 10oz is going to run about $20 ($2.50/box).

tl;dr
Brown cardboard, single flap closure, no gloss - 18x12x3 - $1.38 plus ship
White cardboard, 3-flap closure, no gloss - 18x12x3 - $2.06 plus ship
Green or Blue cardboard, 3-flap closure, with gloss coat - 19x12x3 - $4.25 plus ship

I'm getting the color coded attractive ones to match my boards and offer the best protection - i'm more than happy to grab either of the other options if there is enough demand and will gladly act as middleman and ship them out.

Of course - if anyone is in need of 25 of any type - they are of course best going on their own and having them shipped directly to their home

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Man I wish I could help you with the smaller boxes :( just none of my PCBs are small enough. Maybe you could call them and ask if they will mix in a couple?

Where can I download the labels for the the CPS 2 boxes

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Ok, you definitely spent more time thinking about this than I did. You brought up a good point with the flap. Might be handy to make sure they don’t open. I’m not too worried about moisture though, and I kinda prefer the brown looking box (once it has a label) than a big green or blue one. But if you think 18 with foam wouldn’t cut it, I’ll spring the extra for the 19’’. As I need 13 to fit the B boards I own, I might as well order 25. I’ll probably get there eventually.

Thanks for the thorough analysis. Definitely appreciated. Good luck on the group buy, and I hope you get enough buyers for the Namco ones.

Where can I download the labels for the the CPS 2 boxes

Here.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
There is a chance someone local-ish to the store may go and pick these up for us, so it would cut out the initial shipping cost. I'd still have to pick them up a couple hours south, but I am planning on going down soon anyways - will keep you folks whom are getting boxes posted.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've started to print labels for the boxes, but having one label per 11x17 sheet isn’t super effective. So I grouped 6 of them on the same page. Once I did that, I had one page per board color I own, which again, wasn’t optimal (especially if I only wanted to print 2 blue, 3 green and a gray). So I made a template (View attachment CPS2 Kitbox Label Template (All Regions).zip) that regroups all 5 colors (blue, green, orange, yellow and gray). You just play with the visibility of the layers to get the one you want. Also added a text layer for each label to simplify text entry. The required font for this is Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold (as mentioned in the guide here).

Also posted in the Creative forum so that it gets a better visibility. Btw, I ordered the cardboard 3 flap 19x12x3 box. Should have them sometime today. Did a few stores yesterday, and couldn’t find foam that would be suitable. Ended up getting the red bubble wrap instead.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
Hey Mike would it be possible to add 5 more blue boxes to my order?

Of course - but you're so close to 25 on your own now it may be cheapest for you to just get yours direct. I'm happy to have them on our tally, but for savings, you may want to look at your options - just let me know.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
hmm maybe I will stick with 15 then, I have 14 CPS2 boards now just worried if I get a couple more it will be hard to just track down a couple more boxes down the road.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Rating - 100%
162   0   0
maybe it's because I live in MI... but ULINE ships really FAST.

I've ordered from them (cheapest shipping option) and had it next day before. I also had an issue with a few of their boxes and they re-shipped the entire order (above and beyond what I was looking for).. they rock.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'm in for 11 Blue CPS2 and 9 Green CPS2.

I am also interested in the RED boxes for Namco System 10 games. I only have Mr. Driller 2 and Mr. Driller G though. I just took a quick measurement of some Data East boards and I think they will be a close fit. I would be down for 5 RED boxes. These wouldn't happen to fit Taito F3 carts would they?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
461   0   0
They would fit F3, but you'd have to slightly tilt the board and definitely would be stressing the sides. F3 are 12.25"W x 9.5"L x 1" H. We'd want these for F3 which are 13"x10"x2" and are actually cheaper. With AHCMetal offering to go down and pick up, i'm happy to add them as options.

As for the NAMCO boxes - some DATA EAST would fit, yes. Mid 90's stuff would be hit and miss, late 80's/early 90's would be big I think. The cart stuff would be great fits I think, DATA EAST MLC System.