Gamestop stories?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Ahh Gamestop. We've all been down that road at one point. I've always done pretty well with it, but it's one of those things.

I wanna hear the stories of fucked up things you've experienced or seen first hand. I remember one time I asked a employee about this Dragon Quest promo box, it was a kick ass promo box, he's like 'yeah you can have it'. Later I went back for it and was excited to get it, only to have someone I assume was in management stone wall me about it. Needless to state, I didn't even up getting the damn promo box, which was a bummer because it probably got destroyed.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
bitchez
Spoiler:
theres no bitchez at gamestop :(

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
How about the penny buy back deals for kids? Nothing like looking out for innocent children.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
In like 2002/2003 I found a brand new Earthbound CIB behind some N64 stuff pushed to the back for $25; I was only like 15 or 16 years old at the time, err.. Maybe even 14. When I brought it to the counter the worker said that he wanted to buy that and that he had no clue it was there. I ended up forcing a manager to come out from the back to make his worker sell it to me. That was a grown man trying to punk as kid. Later he tried the same on me with a loose smoke grey N64 and he even succeeded once with a SotN as it was a trade in some customer did in front of me which he refused to put out. At that time SotN was pretty hard to find... Anyway, I bet that douche is the biggest re-seller ever now as he was one even back then with half the tools of the modern age. A few years back a arsonist came to that same store and set it on fire, which in turn lit half the mall up so subsequently it was all eventually totally rebuilt minus the Gamestop. Come to think of it, it may have been EB Games and not Gamestop but same difference.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Gamestop is the worst place to buy or sell/trade games. Used games are in shit shape with stickers all over the cases. They put stickers on the inserts in the past, don't know if they still do that shit. They try to sell you unsealed games claiming that the game case was used for display and that the game is still new and the employee pulls out the paper sleeve and gets his greasy fingers all over the disc.

I walked into a Gamestop a few weeks ago for shits and gigs just to see if maybe I could find some deal but nothing. Some of the used games were like $2-3 dollars cheaper than what they go for New on Amazon . Most New games that sell for $20-30 on Amazon were going for $40+. That's one Business I would like to see go under.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Gamestop is the worst place to buy or sell/trade games. Used games are in shit shape with stickers all over the cases. They put stickers on the inserts in the past, don't know if they still do that shit. They try to sell you unsealed games claiming that the game case was used for display and that the game is still new and the employee pulls out the paper sleeve and gets his greasy fingers all over the disc.

I walked into a Gamestop a few weeks ago for shits and gigs just to see if maybe I could find some deal but nothing. Some of the used games were like $2-3 dollars cheaper than what they go for New on Amazon . Most New games that sell for $20-30 on Amazon were going for $40+. That's one Business I would like to see go under.

Honestly outside of the collector world people look at that shit as a bargain. If it's a few dollars cheaper they can care less if it looks like a dog ate it as long as it works. Heck, today most new games don't have manuals and come in super cheap cases etc. anyway. They will likely go under when everything inevitably becomes digital only. :p

Fortunately they didn't do half the shitty practices they do now when the older systems were prevalent; I could only imagine how many retro games they would have ruined. They would have been like the NGF of the mainstream 8 and 16-Bit systems.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Got some good Game Boy games there like 10 years ago so there's that. Like Mega Man IV and V for ten bucks.

Last summer saw a teenaged boy with a Pikachu hat on talking to the guy behind the counter. Had a grimace the whole time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Those articles from earlier this month about Gamestop's god-awful "Circle of Life" program are worth a read, if you haven't seen them already. Really makes you never, ever want to shop there for games at all...let alone want to work there.

http://kotaku.com/we-are-all-scared-for-our-jobs-gamestop-employees-talk-1791963185
http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332

I clearly remember in 2004 going in to buy Alien Hominid. No new copies left. Guy gets the display case with the huge price sticker on it and rings it up as new. 13 years later and I am honestly astounded that a business in America is able to open its packaging and still able to sell it as new and at new price. Have there been no lawsuits in that time? I am totally OK with GameStop going under and have been since 2004.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Those articles from earlier this month about Gamestop's god-awful "Circle of Life" program are worth a read, if you haven't seen them already. Really makes you never, ever want to shop there for games at all...let alone want to work there.

http://kotaku.com/we-are-all-scared-for-our-jobs-gamestop-employees-talk-1791963185
http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332

Fucking hell just reading that hurts my brain. What happened to just selling things, you know like what a business does. Sell things.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I clearly remember in 2004 going in to buy Alien Hominid. No new copies left. Guy gets the display case with the huge price sticker on it and rings it up as new. 13 years later and I am honestly astounded that a business in America is able to open its packaging and still able to sell it as new and at new price. Have there been no lawsuits in that time? I am totally OK with GameStop going under and have been since 2004.

So much this.

I might buy a game a year from lamestop. Usually only if they've discounted it when other places haven't or if it's some damn exclusive to them (like the recent Duke 20th anniversary release). And I've had to stop asking for a 'new copy' and ask for a fuckin sealed copy as they try and pull that display copy crap all the time. I'm sorry, an opened copy that's been taken home by the employees to play at night is not new. An open copy that someone has emptied the contents out of the case (manual, dlc code, etc) is not new.

Do you walk into a grocery store and buy an open bag of chips that the employees have licked to taste test as new? Fuck no. So why do they still think that shit can be considered 'new'?

Last game I bought there was that 20th anniversary duke nukem release. It took me a long time and a few different lamestops to find a new one. "Let me grab the display copy for you". Nope. "we can re-seal the display copy for you" Facepalmed at that one. Jesus fucking christ how is this shit so hard to understand?

As long as they stay in bidness it'll keep best buy on their toes and that's fine by me.I enjoy the 20% off new games at best buy and hope that continues for quite some time. It'd be like circuit city closing up. When that happened best buy's pricing on movies got much worse as they didn't have the competition anymore from circuit city. I fear lamestop going out of bidness will do the same thing but for games.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Best Buy was like a wonderland 15 years ago. As children we loved buying games at Toys R Us, as teenagers we loved Best Buy. Again last summer went to BB and was shocked at how much it changed. Selection of games and movies was severely limited, it felt like, compared to 15-10 years ago.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Fucking hell just reading that hurts my brain. What happened to just selling things, you know like what a business does. Sell things.

It because theyre run by investors.

"Circle of Life" is nothing new. They were pushing that shit back when I worked there. They were shitty metrics then and they're shitty metrics now.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
One time I bought a used PSP 1000 there

Got it home and the select button and one of the shoulder buttons didn't work at all.

Took it back to the store, was going to return it and pay the difference to get a used PSP 2000

The guy behind the counter gave me the PSP 2000, then gave me all my money back. I tried to hand the money back to him and he didn't understand why, so I just left. Hope he didn't get fired over it or something.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i have only been in gamestop to shop about a dozen times. I dont know why anyone really bothers.

The last time i was there I was trying to get the Zelda edition New 3DSXL. I struck up a conversation before asking about it, and the employee straight up said he purchased their entire allotment and chuckled.
I was initially pissed about it, but just let it go. There's got to be some benefit to working at GS, so i'll just let this fool have this victory.

I later ended up with 3 of them from bestbuy.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I put in almost 10 years with Gamestop (mostly part time except at the end when I took on a management role) and did another 2 years with Funcoland prior to that. I've got a couple of stories that I've posted on here before. :smirk:

One thing that's always bothered me is how people have this rose-colored goggle view of Funcoland. They incorrectly remember it as some kind of bastion for old school gaming when in reality most all of the stupid shit people complain about Gamestop doing nowadays actually originated with them. I'm talking about the pesky upselling and pushing magazine subscriptions. The one exception is the gutting of new games, that always was a Babbages thing. :emb:

Anyway...like I said, treating employees like shit, threatening their jobs if they didn't sell enough dumb shit like cleaning kits, reservations, or magazine subscriptions was absolutely a Funcoland thing. To add insult to injury you only got a 10% employee discount that only applied on used product. When I heard that Babbages was introducing the Gamestop concept, I immediately jumped ship and literally got in at the ground level.

For the first two years of Gamestop's existence, at least in my experience, it was the DREAM JOB that every gamer could hope for. In the beginning we only sold used games so there was no gutted copies of new titles. We had no magazine to pitch or pre-orders to take. The only policy in place for us that they pushed was called MSTs or Multiple Sale-Items per Transaction. If a customer was buying a game, they wanted us to ask if there was any other games they were interested in or perhaps an accessory like a memory card or controller. Unlike Funcoland, there wasn't the same pressure and fear of losing your job over not selling more than one item per transaction. :annoyed:

Aside from the stress free environment, perhaps the biggest difference from Funcoland to Gamestop was the employee discount. As a Babbages/Gamestop employee, we enjoyed a 25% discount on new/used items (excluding systems). Needless to say, I cleaned UP because I had a regular 40 hour job that paid decent (at least back then) and GS was just a weekend job so any money they paid me went right back to them. :emb:

This post is approaching novel length so time for a story. I had one customer who we dubbed as "Mush Mouth" because he had the most gnarled teeth, was always high and dressed in tatters. He would frequent the store with his equally trashy woman and their loud as fuck offspring. Without fail they would always buy something only to return it shortly thereafter.

One particular day I assume Mush Mouth was feeling rich or something because he buys a bunch of Xbox 360 games. I joked to my co-worker that he'd be back shortly and sure enough about 20 minutes later he strolls back in to return the games. His reasoning? In his words "Uhh yeah I need to return dis to git Pampas (Pampers) fo my baby". I processed his return like I always did but internally I'm going "Jesus Christ dude you SERIOUSLY need to learn how to get your priorities in order!" :loco:

While Mush Mouth was a nice guy, he and his ilk were the epitome of the Retail Customer Nightmare. He regularly stunk of body odor and weed. His offspring, usually minimally clothed or just in a diaper, did whatever the fuck they felt like including constant screeching, making messes that they wouldn't clean up and once even defecating on the floor. :envy:

Mush Mouth was just one of a handful of regulars who came in that were "memorable". Others included this obese man named Howard who used a length of clothesline as a makeshift belt, these mentally handicapped twin brothers that I dubbed as the Trigger Twins, WWE Divas Guy, and a host of other mouthbreathers like the one who said Nintendo owned Turbografx and Sega because they were on the Virtual Console. :spock:

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, the circle stuff is not that infuriating. It's called Marketing. Any good company has this kind of information on their customer-base.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I have super good memories of EB Games and I wish employees convinced my dad to buy more things more often, lol. When I was little we'd go to the Concord Mall in Delaware for everything. I remember when FFVII was on display on monitors, and they still sold really cool merch at the store namely Final Fantasy VII figure sets (I believe the box I wanted came with like all the main characters).|

That and I remember going back after PS2 and XBox were the thing and you could get pretty much any N64 cart you wanted for $10 or less. I think I spent $6 on a loose copy of Bomberman 64. Majora's Mask went for no more than $30 iirc

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Best Buy was like a wonderland 15 years ago. As children we loved buying games at Toys R Us, as teenagers we loved Best Buy. Again last summer went to BB and was shocked at how much it changed. Selection of games and movies was severely limited, it felt like, compared to 15-10 years ago.

Absolutely. In the late 90's/early 00's, my local BB had 4-5 rows of DVD racks, double sided and 20 feet long. Completely filled. Same for music CD's.

Now they have 2 aisles for each, 12 feet long, and the shelves aren't even full.

Even the games section is about half of what it used to be or maybe even slightly less. Fucking sad.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Back in 2009 I visited a Gamestop in Norfolk Virginia and picked up a copy of KOF XII. As I was checking out the kid at the counter gave me shit for buying a fighting game and tried to talk me into buying one of the latest fantasy role playing games. I said "no-thanks", paid for my game and turned around to leave. As I was leaving I heard the kid get into a heated exchange with his manager about being let off work early so he could participate in a "Raid". I guess he was talking about WoW.

Yeah I know it's not a fucked up story.. but I couldn't help but ask myself "Is this kid serious?"

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Absolutely. In the late 90's/early 00's, my local BB had 4-5 rows of DVD racks, double sided and 20 feet long. Completely filled. Same for music CD's.

Now they have 2 aisles for each, 12 feet long, and the shelves aren't even full.

Even the games section is about half of what it used to be or maybe even slightly less. Fucking sad.

when i was really little BB was *the* store that blew my little inquisitive mind... computing, software, games, etc.. I used to really love the environment of "state of the art home computers". i guess seeing all the Intel Pentium promos, Windows 98 clouds being everywhere, FFVII shit, there were still playable demos of Doom around in various stores. I think my dad brought me to other computer superstores too. These are sweet moments for me at such a sweet tender age. I really do wish I was a teen during these times too and I could have fully subscribed to all of the amazing games.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
when i was really little BB was *the* store that blew my little inquisitive mind... computing, software, games, etc.. I used to really love the environment of "state of the art home computers". i guess seeing all the Intel Pentium promos, Windows 98 clouds being everywhere, FFVII shit, there were still playable demos of Doom around in various stores. I think my dad brought me to other computer superstores too. These are sweet moments for me at such a sweet tender age. I really do wish I was a teen during these times too and I could have fully subscribed to all of the amazing games.

Remember when the Playstation and N64 first came out, and they had demo kiosks for them? Good times.

I remember stacks of those oversized boxes of Earthbound carts too, I wish I could go back in time and buy them all. I got a copy for $35 and ended up selling it before the value skyrocketed. :crying:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yeah, a bunch of McDonalds had those N64 and PSX kiosks too. I remember seeing the Sega Saturn jewel case of PRIMAL RAGE, one of my FAVORITE fighters when I was little (just because of the cool MK style gorillas and dinosaurs, its really not a very good game!). Wish we had a Saturn when I was little.