FS: Cadillacs & Dinosaurs CPS Dash

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What is this thing about dying A boards I keep hearing over and over every where. I have alot of cps1 games and have not seen this.

Me too no problems. I have a lot of them and I am testing/playing them regularly

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
340   0   0
They tend to fail slowly. For example, I got a Carrier Air Wing that had a few random pixels around certain sprites but still totally playable. Within 2 years, the graphics were completely garbled and I had to swap the A board out for another. At the time, the seller said it was working fine. I do suspect that shipping these boards can trigger failure as well. For example, I just sold rsg a King of Dragons board that was working 100% fine as of a couple of months ago. In retrospect, I should have re-tested it but anyway it arrived suicided. Not only that, when I got it back the A board was also bad.

So basically, based on my observations, I would say if your boards work OK now and they are not subject to the rigors of USPS transportation, you're probably OK for the foreseeable future. That being said, failure is much more likely than your average PCB. The A board apocalypse has started.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
q0qma9y.jpg

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
They tend to fail slowly. For example, I got a Carrier Air Wing that had a few random pixels around certain sprites but still totally playable. Within 2 years, the graphics were completely garbled and I had to swap the A board out for another. At the time, the seller said it was working fine. I do suspect that shipping these boards can trigger failure as well. For example, I just sold rsg a King of Dragons board that was working 100% fine as of a couple of months ago. In retrospect, I should have re-tested it but anyway it arrived suicided. Not only that, when I got it back the A board was also bad.

So basically, based on my observations, I would say if your boards work OK now and they are not subject to the rigors of USPS transportation, you're probably OK for the foreseeable future. That being said, failure is much more likely than your average PCB. The A board apocalypse has started.

I can attest to this, I lost another A board this year, RIP. Puts the death toll up to about 6 at my house. I retested several boards and paired working boards together and sold off lots of them just to soften the blow. Had to keep a few favorites though.
Enjoy them while they last I guess.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too no problems. I have a lot of them and I am testing/playing them regularly

Using them regularly might be what's keeping them alive. I had a couple of boards boxed up, and when I took them out to test some years later, they were all dead. Those in more regular use are still functioning today. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that QSound multi.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hm,
I spoke with a guy that has repaired pcb for me a couple of times and he said in particular there is one component that fails all the time, the 'CPS-A-01' ASIC.You can find this part only on CPS1 and CPS2 motherboard

Well, not the gratest news