For Sale! - SG Controller Cases (PS3, and XBOX 360 too!)

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I am in the process of designing a new SuperGun Controller case... out of metal. Similar to the SuperGuns I have been building (MVS 4 Slot Docking Base, CPS2 Docking Base, etc.) Want to gauge interest in getting a few made to save a few bucks. Things I am going to have in it:

1. SANWA stick mouting studs internal to the case.
2. Internal stand-offs for a PS360 board.
3. DB15 connection on the back
4. USB connection on the back
5. 30mm holes to fit the most popular sanwa buttons.
6. Coin (Select), Start, and PS/XBOX 24mm Button on the back.
7. Rubber Feet.
8. Powder Coated.

Haven't sent the design in for manufacturing cost yet, but wanted to see if there was desire for ready to build metal joystick cases (or even finished cases).

Last edited:

jdubs

n00b
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I like the idea. Its easy enough to mod a stick (hori, mad catz, etc.) for everything you mention with the exception of the DB15 connection....a new enclosure is worth it for that alone, imo, plus a powder coated metal stick would be cool.

Any thoughts on price at this point?

I am in the process of designing a new SuperGun Controller case... out of metal. Similar to the SuperGuns I have been building (MVS 4 Slot Docking Base, CPS2 Docking Base, etc.) Want to gauge interest in getting a few made to save a few bucks. Things I am going to have in it:

1. SANWA stick mouting studs internal to the case.
2. Internal stand-offs for a PS360 board.
3. DB15 connection on the back
4. USB connection on the back
5. 30mm holes to fit the most popular sanwa buttons.
6. Coin (Select), Start, and PS/XBOX 24mm Button on the back.
7. Rubber Feet.
8. Powder Coated.

Haven't sent the design in for manufacturing cost yet, but wanted to see if there was desire for ready to build metal joystick cases (or even finished cases).

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I like the idea. Its easy enough to mod a stick (hori, mad catz, etc.) for everything you mention with the exception of the DB15 connection....a new enclosure is worth it for that alone, imo, plus a powder coated metal stick would be cool.

Any thoughts on price at this point?

Price is heavily dependent on interest at this point. I should have some rough numbers in the next day or so. The madcatz and hori cases make for an expensive starting point and you have extra "stuff" on them like the PS3/XBOX panel and random switches I never use (even on my PS3). You have alternates like Foehammer and such, but I am not a huge fan of wood. Heavy Gauge metal just seems sturdier and longer lasting than plastic/wood to me.

Mikhal, those are some of my cases! The red Neo-4-Slot dock is one of my favorites I have designed/built.

The controller would be made of similar quality and finish (except there are many color options and silkscreen options).

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Whammy! As promised... design finished. I'm ready to place an order and get these things manufactured. Price should be in tomorrow. I'm going to see how much a lot of 10 would be at first.

http://www.thesupergun.com/joysticks/custom-supergun-controller-cases-designed/

Screen-Shot-2013-06-04-at-6.38.00-PM-1024x605.png

butteroj

n00b
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Interest Check - SG Controller Cases

Im so down. I would make one change however. 2" tall, not 2.5"

Last edited:

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Im so down. I would make one change however. 2" tall, not 2.5"

I was going back and forth on the height. I wanted to make sure there was enough room for everything inside and so that the buttons on the side fit. Unfortunately because the way the metal case is built, there is a flange that holds the two pieces together. If I go down to 2" I can't have the buttons on the side. Relocating them to the top is a non-starter since they can get in the way.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Well, I got the pricing back from the manufacturer. Here's how it will shake out on a group buy:

10 Cases: $130 per case, plus shipping.
15 Cases: $120 per case, plus shipping.
20 Cases: $110 per case, plus shipping.
25 Cases: $105 per case, plus shipping.

What I am going to do is simple. Take $50 non-refundable deposit on each case you want for the next week. Once I get the deposits in we will know how much each case will cost and I will collect the balance (minus shipping, since that will be case by case.. no pun intended!). The deal is you get to pick your colors, top and bottom can be the same or different and I will put the order in for all of the cases. Once they arrive I will inspect them all for quality and then ship them off using USPS Priority Mail with Insurance and Delivery Confirmation. Not knowing the exact weight leaves a few unknowns but I will do my best to ship them as inexpensively / safely as possible (use USPS boxes, recycled padding, etc). Your end is that when you pre-order the price is going to be at least $130, so please plan on that. If it's less... BONUS for you! If it's more... well, it won't be so don't worry about that one!

In the mean-time I am going to order one at the non-discounted bulk price ($200! Yikes!) to make sure everything is all properly aligned and fitment is good for the buttons and such.

Why is it safe to do a preorder from me? Who is this Jasen Hicks guy anyways? Well, if you recall back in 2009 when the shockbox stock appeared again (as new products) that was an effort I led and took pre-orders on and made happen. Every single person received their shocks in perfect condition and left glowing feedback in my profile. Plus, I don't like headaches. Doing things the right way on the up and up is so much easier than scamming people.

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***

Colors available:
1. High Gloss Aero Yellow
2. High Gloss Safety Orange
3. High Gloss Fire Red
4. High Gloss Traffic Blue
5. High Gloss Olive Green
6. High Gloss Yellow-Green
7. High Gloss Leaf Green

1. Medium Gloss Retro Gray (Smooth)
2. Medium Gloss Jet Black (Smooth)
3. Medium Gloss White Sandex (Fine Texture)

Last edited:

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
3 Pre-Orders down! (5 if you include my two)

I'm working with the manufacturing company now to do the order at the 25 piece price but space it out over six months. That means I could "pre-order" 25 but only pay for and take delivery of say 10 cases now and the remaining 15 over the next 6 months. (I forget the business term for the practice). This helps folks because I can take the $50 deposit now and give people time to raise the other $60 or save up for it while affording everyone else the cheapest price possible. The deposit would still be required and non-refundable because shelling out $105 per case in 6 months for those who "want one" but didn't actually put any good faith money up could hurt... bad!

Deposits will not be lost! If in the event I get stuck paying for 1 or 2 out of pocket at the end of 6 months I will hold it the case until the buyer either 1. Tells me he/she found another buyer and wants me to sell it to that person and refund the deposit to the original buyer or 2. I have another person (not part of the original buy) that wants one and the original buyer agrees to let me sell it to that person. Changing your mind doesn't count. Sorry guys.

** Update **

Ordered #1 today so I could get it in hand and show the actual case off. Should arrive Wednesday/Thursday next week.

Last edited:

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Bump to the top. I can now confirm that the price per unit is only $105! Woot! I should have the first one mid next week to take pictures and such. In case you are curious as to the quality of the case, I encourage you to take a look at this SuperGun I built:

https://jasenscustoms.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

It's the same manufacturer that I am having build the Joystick Cases.

Jasen

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'll check the dimensions... They are probably close enough that it would work... I can tweak the stick mounts to make it work though for one/two cases. The company I use is awesome that way.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
The first one shipped today! Should get it no later than Monday. I have a fresh set of Sanwa Guts to put inside and show it off. More to follow... hopefully with pictures and video of it being opened, built, and used!

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
First case arrived today... Holy. Crap. This thing is a tank. Picture/Video coming here shortly. Need to get a couple of things hooked up on the computer.

Jasen

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm pretty stoked to see how this came out. Throw some buttons if there before you take the pics if that's possible, just so we can get a good idea.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Sturdy is an understatement. You'd break a button before you hurt this thing. The finish is powdercoat so scratching it wont be easy (unlike paint) and unless you drop this thing onto a concrete floor... good luck damaging it. The shipping box weighed 11 lbs... most of it was air bubbles.. the rest was the TankStick.

jdubs

n00b
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wow, this is pretty dang sweet. Is the hole for the USB the same size as what is needed for an RJ45 (the "standard" Neutrik)?

-Jim

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Jim,

Naturally NEUTRIK made the pass through holes about .01" different. The RJ45 requires a slightly larger hole. The mounting holes are the same as well as the offsets, so a slight drilling out would be required to fit the RJ45. I anticipate it would be about 10 minutes of extra work for the end user.