Criminal should be Police Officers

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
See I always thought that we want the best people to be officers not our criminals.

Police wrong to reject applicant who shoplifted, Supreme Court says

Montreal police were wrong to reject a would-be police officer just because she once pleaded guilty to theft and received a conditional discharge, the Supreme Court of Canada says.

The woman, identified only as S.N., was caught shoplifting in 1990 at the age of 21; she pleaded guilty in 1991 and applied to join the police force in 1995.

In a 6-2 decision joined by Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, the Supreme Court confirmed two lower-court rulings and a decision by the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal, which awarded the woman $5,000 in damages after she gave up on becoming a police officer.

The court said the force was entitled to consider whether she was of good moral character but had to base that judgment on more facts than just the guilty plea.

The case turned partly on the nature of a conditional discharge, one of the gentlest sentencing options available to a judge. No conviction is registered as long as the accused abides by conditions specified in a probation order.

The woman told a police personnel officer she had been pardoned, and she was right, the court said.

Under federal law, the woman had effectively been pardoned before she applied to the force, it said. The Criminal Records Act bars federal agencies from disclosing "the existence of the record or the fact of the discharge" if "more than three years have elapsed since the offender was discharged."

But it is not that simple, the judges went on.

"Under the Police Act, being of good moral character and not having a criminal record are separate criteria. The facts giving rise to a conviction are therefore on their own an insufficient basis for rejecting a candidate for not being of good moral character. However, a pardon does not erase the past."

The force was entitled to consider the facts that led to a finding of guilt but couldn't base its decision solely on finding itself, the majority decision said.

"No further inquiry or interviews were conducted that would have made it possible to counter the presumption that the pardon had restored N’s moral integrity," it said.

In a dissent, justices Ian Binnie and Louise Charon said the force was justified in refusing to hire the woman strictly on the basis of her guilty plea because her crime was deliberate and she was an adult at the time.

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Well for the sake of argument, Texas Rangers, US Marshals etcetera were orginally "Pardoned" criminals officiated and given gold stars and set loose to put an end to the bullshit. It worked then, I think it could work now. For something like that, I'd have the woman watched closer than others, from the minute she entered the academy through her first (2) maybe (3) years out the academy. If nothing criminal came up, hey she learned her lesson. It be different if it were some heavily tattooed, homicidal maniac tweeker who suddenly strolled into a police station and wanted to be a cop. Shoot the only reason I've been as effective as a Security Enforecement officer (as in "Prevention and Deterrence") is because I think 85% like a criminal. As in what would they come up with? and for that reason... I rule out almost 100% of "possibilities". Sadly, this same trait that works for clients and employers alike get scared by that fact, and miss the point that I'm not a convicted criminal.

Oh well. It's the way of the world. Tough luck for her.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Well for the sake of argument, Texas Rangers, US Marshals etcetera were orginally "Pardoned" criminals officiated and given gold stars and set loose to put an end to the bullshit. It worked then, I think it could work now. For something like that, I'd have the woman watched closer than others, from the minute she entered the academy through her first (2) maybe (3) years out the academy. If nothing criminal came up, hey she learned her lesson. It be different if it were some heavily tattooed, homicidal maniac tweeker who suddenly strolled into a police station and wanted to be a cop. Shoot the only reason I've been as effective as a Security Enforecement officer (as in "Prevention and Deterrence") is because I think 85% like a criminal. As in what would they come up with? and for that reason... I rule out almost 100% of "possibilities". Sadly, this same trait that works for clients and employers alike get scared by that fact, and miss the point that I'm not a convicted criminal.

Oh well. It's the way of the world. Tough luck for her.

See I'm one person who believes that a criminal record should be overlooked for many many jobs out there except for Police Officers. I think we should expect more from our officers. It's not like there is a shortage of people wanting to become officers and her criminal background made her less able to do her job properly.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I believe that they should be able to consider it... Since she plead guilty...

I'm not so sure about Canadian law [or even American law]. But I believe that a pardon does not overturn the conviction... or maybe I'm thinking about Comuting...

If she were younger when the theft occurred... Then I might have a different opinion...

I DO OF COURSE believe that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjourned_in_Contemplation_of_Dismissal should not be counted for most things...

Since wellll.... They come in VERY HANDY//

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
In a 6-2 decision joined by Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, the Supreme Court confirmed two lower-court rulings and a decision by the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal, which awarded the woman $5,000 in damages after she gave up on becoming a police officer.

Rediculous.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I have been walking the wrong side of life,and i still see things policemen don't.
I have a normal life now and because i never was caught i have no criminal record.Still as an ex criminal i would not be a good cop,i was tempted before who says it won't happen again,i do think you can use one to catch the other but they should not be allowed to the force.Just my humble opinion.