CPS3 battery change guide.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
Hi, I have done a guide to swap CPS3 batteries based an old one on from the net which has long since gone. As I have never swapped out CPS3 batteries myself I wonder if people that have can take a look through it to confirm there are no mistakes. The guide can be found at http://www.cps2shock.com/cps3.

Raz

Last edited:

meanbean

Armored Scrum Object
Razoola, the guide is correct. Perhaps, you can give credit to David Baltes in your guide somewhere. He was the author of the original CPS3 battery replacement guide that yours is based on.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
meanbean said:
Razoola, the guide is correct. Perhaps, you can give credit to David Baltes in your guide somewhere. He was the author of the original CPS3 battery replacement guide that yours is based on.

I have just done that now (top and bottom of FAQ). I have also updated the URL, its now http://www.cps2shock.com/cps3.

Razoola

Staff member
MKL said:
Not a mistake by any means but why solder the negative of the helper battery in such a small point that is also so close to the infamous black wire when you have at disposal other more suitable ground points in less delicate areas of the PCB? For instance:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5296/cps3battery9yl.jpg

That looks like a good idea, I will update the FAQ later today. Is it ok to use that picture also?

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
Updated the FAQ to use the solder point MKL mentions. I must say it does make sence and makes the job that little bit easier.

Raz

Spike Spiegel

最性感的男人&#
Raz, the day you figure out the suicide to cps3 is the day I worship you as my new god. No bullshit, I've got a CPS3 game that's dead in the hopes that one day you will save it.... :P

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
Spike Spiegel said:
Raz, the day you figure out the suicide to cps3 is the day I worship you as my new god. No bullshit, I've got a CPS3 game that's dead in the hopes that one day you will save it.... :P

Yea, Raz

I agree with Spike here. I'm willing to donate to find a cure for the untimely deaths of these cps3 carts. Salvation is near? :chimp:

Razoola

Staff member
I got a CPS3 already (no CD jojos) so I don't need any donation. I simply don't have time to start looking at it at present.

Raz

MKL

Giga Shock!!
Razoola said:
Are you 100% sure that will work?

Raz

If you mean if I tried this myself no, I've never worked on a CPS3 but it's evident from the pics that the daughter PCB is getting power from the main PCB, so if you ground the daughterboard to some other point on the mobo you may well remove the other ground wire. Maybe Meanbean wants to try this since he often swaps batteries?

Razoola

Staff member
hmmm, what is the correct battery voltage to use, 3.6v or 3v for CPS3?

Raz

DaemoN

Camel Slug
I've repeated this countless times across various forums, but noone pays attention.

I had a Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact cart with that stupid extra black wire.

I soldered another one from the daughter board to another ground spot on the board.

Powered the game, removed one battery, soldered another, bang. Works fine.

Instead of powering the game on, you can use a backup battery. Works the same.

Razoola

Staff member
DaemoN said:
I've repeated this countless times across various forums, but noone pays attention.

I had a Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact cart with that stupid extra black wire.

I soldered another one from the daughter board to another ground spot on the board.

Powered the game, removed one battery, soldered another, bang. Works fine.

Instead of powering the game on, you can use a backup battery. Works the same.

Ok, I still need to know the correct battery voltage, do you know? 3v or 3.6v?

Raz

DaemoN

Camel Slug
I've found both kinds inside CPS3 carts. My SF3 2nd Impact had a 3V battery, which I replaced with a 3,6V one.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Razoola said:
Ok, I still need to know the correct battery voltage, do you know? 3v or 3.6v?

Raz
Hello raz...is the issue with 3v & 3.6v lithium batt critical?..surley 3.6 will suffice?.
Does the jpn sec cart HAVE to have the required 3v?...why did they use the 3.6 in the asia & US sec's?.
Any further info will be greatly appreciated ...as the day after tomorrow i recieve an JPN SF3.3 kit...& the previous owner does not know when the batt was replaced!!...it originaly came from G-front a few months ago...& i was advised that they have them all replaced prior to selling them on.(i cannot take that chance tho).
Thanks for your time raz...& btw the guide is spot on & very clear.

Last edited: