Cluster of badluck/things breaking down

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Man this month has really sucked....

*Air condition in car broke - *I fixed it*
*One of my home theater seats broke
*Bathroom sink broke, need new one(Lowes delay shipping another week)
*Need new valve for leak
*Chassis i ordered came broken

Now my Hot Water tank needs replacing...All this shit happened in July. Has this happen to you guys when everything just doesn't go right.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

*Need new valve for leak

Now my Hot Water tank needs replacing...All this shit happened in July. Has this happen to you guys when everything just doesn't go right.

you should consider signing up for American Home Shield.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

*Need new valve for leak

Yea bro, it's weird how when shit happens, it happens all at once. I usually have at least one bad month a year. I've been doing repairs and replacing stuff at the home I just purchased and it's not the things you know you have to fix that gets me, It's the surprise things that pop up out of the blue that piss me off.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
When life starts to fuck you, sell some toyz?! :snack:

I have 9month emergency fund just in case that does happen. Just didn't expect all this shit happening at the same time.

Got the Water Heater taken care of yesterday. Now looks like i have to replace my windshield on my car. I think im just going to sleep in until July is over.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Not for me. Replaced my air conditioner with a brand new system. Fixed my dishwasher, range, and never a complaint.

Similar story here. I wouldn’t rent out a property, without AHS. If they can’t fix it, they replace it in kind.

@ fXs-For ~$40/mo, how is this a rip?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Similar story here. I wouldn’t rent out a property, without AHS. If they can’t fix it, they replace it in kind.

Some men just break their dishwashers a lot.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

It's luck of the draw. Their system relies on random contractors, and the vetting process is very casual. Like, "Do you have a wrench? OK, you're in!" so if you get a dumbass contractor assigned to your ticket, you're kinda screwed. Also, they advertise that they'll replace your equipment if there's a major issue, which isn't totally true. Basically, they have the contractors exhaust all options before replacing a refrigerator, for example. This can take weeks, which means you're pretty much without a fridge for that period of time.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It's luck of the draw. Their system relies on random contractors, and the vetting process is very casual. Like, "Do you have a wrench? OK, you're in!" so if you get a dumbass contractor assigned to your ticket, you're kinda screwed. Also, they advertise that they'll replace your equipment if there's a major issue, which isn't totally true. Basically, they have the contractors exhaust all options before replacing a refrigerator, for example. This can take weeks, which means you're pretty much without a fridge for that period of time.

Ahhh, I see.

Welp, I’m knocking on wood. So far, so good!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Things in life do tend to go wrong in bunches, why, we'll never know.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
That's a lot at once, but all are pretty minor, no?

I see you already replaced the water heater. I was going to suggest you move tankless if you haven't already. Up front cost is double, but unlimited and immediate hot water from there on, and significant space savings. I bought one intended for small hotel use since we often have 2 showers and dishwasher running same time. The electric was a bugger (runs on 4 50amp circuits) so needed to add a panel, but for the extra up front work and money, it's been one of the best home decisions i've made.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

so basically like every other insurance company that will try every trick in the book to pass the buck when it's time for them to pay

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
That's a lot at once, but all are pretty minor, no?

I see you already replaced the water heater. I was going to suggest you move tankless if you haven't already. Up front cost is double, but unlimited and immediate hot water from there on, and significant space savings. I bought one intended for small hotel use since we often have 2 showers and dishwasher running same time. The electric was a bugger (runs on 4 50amp circuits) so needed to add a panel, but for the extra up front work and money, it's been one of the best home decisions i've made.

Our hot water heater started leaking a while ago, so I looked into the options. Ended up just installing a new gas hot water tank. Cost around $600 and all I had to do was connect the gas line and the hot a cold water lines. Replaced the flex hose on the gas line and also put in new braided water hoses.

Having a tankless system sounds appealing but the initial cost is quite high. The main reason I didn't do it was because we have hard water and I'd rather keep it simple (already replaced two dishwashers prematurely as well as various fixtures). The new tank is also a bit bigger capacity. We used to run out of hot with the old tank but haven't had that problem since. The gas bill is down slightly as well.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to handle it myself since having a plumber install a hot water heater here costs at least $1500. They have to get the gas line connection inspected, blah blah blah. It's a hose that you screw on. I think I can manage ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

So here is an AHS story. My old AC wasn’t working well. It was almost 40 years old in my old condo, and I had been getting AHS to fix it every year, but suddenly, after a contractor “fixed” it, it ran out of freon. I made a big stink about them sending a contractor who was trying to gyp us, and they sent out another guy who recommended that AHS replace the entire system. So AHS did. It worked out fine in the end.

Otherwise, yeah, maybe you pay $600 a year and nothing happens. Maybe you pay $600 and they replace a lot of appliances cost $600 a piece. Maybe they just take care of emergency plumbing issues. For me, it has been worth it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
If you weren't in the minority, the company would go belly up.