CDZ Hacks/Upgrades?

Oresama

Rugal's Thug
I've seen a lot of AES systems that have had various modifications done to them to improve the experience for the user, with mods ranging from S-vid to component to improved BIOS options to stereo and digital audio, all of which are great additions to any console.

I was wondering if there is anyone has ever looked into making upgrades to a CDZ. Component, digital audio and UniBIOS/Debug BIOS would certainly make a welcome addition to any console. Hacking a faster CD drive into it (even a 4x) would practically obliterate load times. Considering that a 40x CD drive is a $20 investment now I'd like to think that someone has looked into making this kind of hack job possible. Does anyone know who to ask for these kinds of modifications? And are there any other improvements that can be made?

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Component is definitely a possible mod, digital audio probably isn't, upgraded BIOS is if there's a lot of free space like AES/MVS, upgraded CDROM isn't possible.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
well isn't possible we dont' know
it's probably easy to change the initiale CD to an CD X40
but you should reprogrammed the bios too

In fact a lot of people ask this modification but nobody speak of their try (for exemple i have never read someone who change his CD of NGCDZ)

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well, of course it's possible if you replace the CDROM controller with an ATAPI one and rewrite the BIOS (and games while we're at it) ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
We already had numerous discussions on putting a faster CD drive + updated BIOS in a NGCD system... too lazy to dig out the links, just search Tech.

Morale of the story, it is possible but very difficult and would require a) finding a proper drive and fitting it into the NGCD, b) reprogramming the BIOS (which would be a bitch for itself), c) change main and chache RAM chips (timing!) and other components, d) design some sort of mod-chip that bypasses the CDZ copy protection scheme or add it to the newly programmed BIOS, etc.

In short, it's doable but not very practicable. If you want faster loading, play the originals on DC or PC emu.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Takumaji said:
a) finding a proper drive and fitting it into the NGCD,
b) reprogramming the BIOS (which would be a bitch for itself),
c) change main and chache RAM chips (timing!) and other components,
d) design some sort of mod-chip that bypasses the CDZ copy protection scheme or add it to the newly programmed BIOS, etc.

Yes probably but i know nobody who try to change the CD of his neogeo CD or CDZ. Maybe the console could accept a new CD drive... I don't speak of the load time effect, just a compatibility between a new CDdrive and the NGCD/NGCDZ