Can you run a System Board Y-2 game in a cab wired for MVS?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Thinking of getting Unlimited Match 2002 on the System Y-2, but I need to know if I have to do anything special to get it to work on my candy cab or if it's a fruitless task. Thanks!

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Necro bump, asking the same question. KOF 2002 UM on system y2 is much cheaper nowadays and Im interested in it. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm guessing since its JAMMA it would require a JAMMA to MVS converter, but other than audio I don't know if there would be any possible issues.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
A JAMMA to MVS converter? It's a four button game, so I imagine that fourth button would be a weird situation, wiring wise.

Does anyone have any experience using a JAMMA to MVS converter on cabs wired for MVS for games with four buttons?

madman

It's not a button issue, it's an audio issue.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
ok cool. not super worried about sound.

edit: bought the KOF 2002 UM board, now it's time to hunt down a Jamma to MVS converter.

Last edited:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Does your candy cab use a single slot or a multi slot MVS board? If it uses a single slot, then it's pretty much standard JAMMA, and you can plug the Y2 right in.

If it's multi slot, then don't plug your Y2 straight in, because you risk frying the audio circuitry. Your options in this case are to get a Jamma to MVS converter or rewire your cab's speakers for standard JAMMA. If the wires aren't soldered on to your speakers, it's actually pretty simple. I actually just did this on my Neo 25 cabinet so that I could use my single slot board and Pandora's box.

Simply disconnect the ground wires from the negative terminals of both speakers, move the remaining wire on the left speaker from the positive to the negative terminal, then get a short wire and use it to connect the positive terminal of the left speaker to the negative terminal of the right speaker.

edit: and don't forget that when looking from the back of the cabinet, the left speaker is gonna be the one on your right.

Last edited:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
whoa, so I dont have to bother with the adapter? Just change the wiring on my speakers and Im good to go, even with the extra button?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
The JAMMA to MVS adapter's main role is to safely connect sound circuitry to the speakers, which can also be achieved by rewiring the speakers as I described.

I can't really find any information about the Y2, so I don't know how it handles the 4th button. If you're lucky, then the 4th button is wired to the JAMMA edge just like MVS. In that case, it should work just fine. However, if a kick harness handles the 4th button, I'd say the best solution is to mod your Y2 board by soldering a wire between the button 4 connectors on the kick harness and the JAMMA pins which MVS uses for the 4th button (pins 25 & c).

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Does anyone know where I can get a JAMMA-to-MVS converter?

madman

Those seem to be rare these days, might try a WTB thread in the ZDTF, someone might have a spare or know where to source them.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Cool, looks like Xian is doing me a huge solid and making a converter. This is great, I love this game so much and for some reason the Steam ver. keeps crashing and the 360 is out of commission. Plus, everything on a candy cab is better.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Getting a blue screen of sadness. I wonder what could be wrong?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I got it to work, but only when i change the board to JVS I/O. Maybe the dip indicating JAMMA and JVS are just flipped. Im not getting sound when using Xian Xi's converter. I plugged in the board without the converter for a moment to see if sound in the board and it does, I just turned it off quickly to avoid damaging my speakers.

Also, the interface parts of the picture are real jittery. Like the letters and numbers and GUI wont stay still but the sprites and backgrounds look nice enough. This thing is a mystery. All 4 buttons work though.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
You know, the graphics issue reminds me of how Hyper Neo Geo 64 games look on this monitor. Like a slight "vibration" effect. Since the system y2 board has a 31khz and 15 khz option, Im wondering if the graphics in this game were just designed for higher resolution monitors.

There a similar effect when you play the ps2 port of KoF XI or SamSho6 without the "soft" option in settings. Sprites look more crisp but the UI has this weird shaky effect.

I just switched out the board with MOTW and yep, crisp sprites, no vibrating or flickering. One of my speakers doesnt work, guess I immediately blew it when I went to test the sound on the UM board without the converter. Weird how it worked without it at all.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the sound didn't work with the converter it might just be low. The audio circuit basically sums and splits to stereo, so if the volume was low on the board then it will be lower on the cab through the converter. You can try upping the volume on the board to see if that helps. As for the jittering, I am not sure, all the video and controller stuff is complete passthrough on the converter. Can you make a video?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You know, the graphics issue reminds me of how Hyper Neo Geo 64 games look on this monitor. Like a slight "vibration" effect. Since the system y2 board has a 31khz and 15 khz option, Im wondering if the graphics in this game were just designed for higher resolution monitors.

There a similar effect when you play the ps2 port of KoF XI or SamSho6 without the "soft" option in settings. Sprites look more crisp but the UI has this weird shaky effect.

I just switched out the board with MOTW and yep, crisp sprites, no vibrating or flickering. One of my speakers doesnt work, guess I immediately blew it when I went to test the sound on the UM board without the converter. Weird how it worked without it at all.

That vibration effect is the game running in interlaced mode. Tekken Tag does it as does some STV games.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Yeah, that makes sense. There doesnt seem to be a non interlaced mode for this board :/

I turned up the volume knob on the board, but no difference.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah, that makes sense. There doesnt seem to be a non interlaced mode for this board :/

I turned up the volume knob on the board, but no difference.

I hope you didn't fry the amp when you tried it without the converter. Is there sound still from the RCA jacks?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
It's hard to tell. All the RCA plugs I have are too long for the jacks and dont stay seated. I was able to get a faint sound coming out, but it was from loose plugs going into an 1/8 converter.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's hard to tell. All the RCA plugs I have are too long for the jacks and dont stay seated. I was able to get a faint sound coming out, but it was from loose plugs going into an 1/8 converter.

You mean the center pin is too long for the jack?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
After cranking the sound on the board and turning up the music and fx to max in the test menu, I can hear sound coming from the pcb itself. I still havent been able to figure out a way to run the game without interlacing :/

edit: to be clear, I still haven't been able to run the game's sound through my cab's speakers, which I just replaced.

also, I dont think anything on the board itself is fried. It would stink. Im in bands, Ive been around stinky burnt electronics. One of my cab's old speakers, however, is fucked.

Last edited: