Can you run a System Board Y-2 game in a cab wired for MVS?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Not that I can tell. I can't find any documentation saying that it does. I bought this from lai wen, so I'm trying to ask him questions, but the language barrier is making things difficult.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
1) a used SpikeOut Final I purchased from legend, was a paper weight. Wen is great, but remember-many of these items are straight outta Kowloon Walled City.

2) the audio issues you are describing are similar to what my Asura Buster does on my cabs that *don't* have -5. Just sayin'. Send it to me, and I'll try it for sound on my NAC. ^___^

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it ends up needing -5v you can always add a negatron to the converter.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Forgive my lacking ability to read Japanese, but is there a switch on the DIPs that switch between Jamma audio and JVS/RCA audio?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Forgive my lacking ability to read Japanese, but is there a switch on the DIPs that switch between Jamma audio and JVS/RCA audio?

No, but I would assume if you have it on JVS it won't output audio on the Jamma at all and visa versa for the left and right rca plugs if on Jamma.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
No, but I would assume if you have it on JVS it won't output audio on the Jamma at all and visa versa for the left and right rca plugs if on Jamma.

True.

This is how PGM3 works.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Can anyone else tell what the other dipswitches (the ones that arent clearly labeled on the board) are for?

Fox1

20 Year Member
Dip Switch 2 ON = JVS, OFF = JAMMA
Dip Switch 2 OFF and Dip Switch 5 ON = Mahjong harness kit
Dip Switch 1 OFF = Game Mode, ON = Test mode
Dip Switch 4 OFF = 31 KHZ, ON = 15 KHZ
Dip Switch 3 OFF = H Sync, ON = Composite Sync

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Thanks Fox1, that last post helped me out immensely. It's strange, looking at the board, it looks to clearly say "flip the switch up and get this, flip the switch down and get this" but in reality, the sticker on the board is only indicating what some of the dipswitches are, not necessarily what they do.

For example, Dip 2 shows JVS I/O with a line at the top of switch, then JAMMA with a line at the bottom of the switch but the manual indicates that the switch operates in JAMMA on the off position. So strange. But now the confusion I had when I thought JVS I/O and JAMMA were flipped makes total sense.

Does the manual say anything else about the composite video mode? The image on screen looks the same with dip 3 turned off or on. I haven't flipped the switch while the system was on, but I powered down and tried both ways and the image is the exact same. Is it possible the switch itself is busted?

So now the confusion with JVS and JAMMA mode in regards to sound now make sense. But I wonder why plugging the board in without the JAMMA-to-MVS converter achieved loud, full sound before it fried my speakers (and possibly the sound amp).

edit: I don't know if this changes anything, but I had the board's sound running in mono mode when I tried it without the converter and got sound. Running the board in stereo or mono right now nets the same result.

Last edited:

Fox1

20 Year Member
It's not composite video mode, but composite sync. So if it's the same on your monitor when you flip it, then it shouldn't matter.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Ah, so the board only runs in interlaced mode, it looks like.

What does composite sync mean?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
AN UPDATE:

A friend of mine has a big blue CPS2 cab and let me plug the game in to see about video and sound. Video and sound both work great.

So now I'm thinking both issues have to do with my cab, which is wired for MVS. Weird thing is, PGM 1, 2 and Hyper Neo Geo 64 stuff all works great on my cab with no modifications. So I'm kind of at a loss now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the wiring on your harness for anything missing like grounds. I e seen many MVS harnesses missing a lot of grounds.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Honestly, I wouldnt even know where to start in terms of finding lost grounds and how to restore them. Im willing to try, thougjlh.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
take the mvs pinouts and check the harness. That a good start.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Xian sent me a new adapter today and everything sounds great, maybe a little distorted, but I think that's my speakers. Everything is properly grounded to my knowledge. Im still getting this vibrating or shaking effect on the screen.

I dont notice this effect when Im running Neo Geo or PGM 1 or 2. I do, however, notice it just a little when Im running my Hyper 64 rev 2 board.

The monitor is a Toshiba A59JMZ90X.

I thought adjusting the flyback would help, but Im not seeing any knobs back here.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is there an adjustment that would help that I just dont know about?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's the board itself, maybe the caps are drying out. I think testing it in another cab would maybe help eliminate some possibilities.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I tested in a standard Jamma cab and it looked perfect.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
The vibration is so fast, it doesn't show up on video.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you have the ability to, try it in another MVS cab.