Brute's Blast City Restore Thread

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've finally obtained the object of my desire after a year of looking. Picked the cab up from Ken @ TheGameRoom. As looking local in the Chicago area hasn't turned up anything candy cab related in my searches. As you can see in the pictures below. Overall the cab is in above average condition IMHO.

I gave her a quick cleaning on the outside just before taking the pictures. There is a picture of the inside of the CP where you will see a lot of funk. This weekend will be a more in depth cleaning along probably firing her up for the first time.

My list of Restoration Objective,
1) Thorough cleaning
2) Bezel cleanup to remove old sticker residue and current tekken torn move lists stickers
3) Replace sticks and buttons
4) Replace Control Panel Overlay with a authentic "blast city" panel

There will be more but I just wanted to post about it. I know this is like thread #5 about cab restoration, but please have some sympathy for a very excited cab owner.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Last edited:

TrAb

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks better then mine when i first picked it up. Good luck

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
My mission today is to try and remove the following spot or stain from the bottom right hand side of the cabinet.

I have some Mr. Clean erasers. I'm hoping it will remove the stain. Alot of what I originally thought was going to be permanent marks on the cabinet have come off with a thorough cleaning.

IMG_0087.jpg

NipRing

The Shlonginator,
how much? i paid 1K for mine an drove from milwaukee to indiana to get it.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The cab cost $900 and about $225 to ship from Utah to Chicago

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
So which game is currently running on it?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Damn that's a clean cabinet. Just a control panel away from being the absolute ultimate.

Congrats on the score! Now pimp it out!

WinkWink

World Soccer '96
Nice cab!

I have a Blast 2L12B panel on my Astro if you want to trade strait up! blank for blank

LMK

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
So which game is currently running on it?

At the moment, I don't have anything running on it. I want to take my time with her and make sure that she's all restored before going head on into gaming. I got a KI2 dedicated cab for my gaming fix at the moment.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to make this a dedicated vert cab for me. If I go that route, I'll probably hook my 360 up to her for all the cave ports. I'm a shooter guy mainly and would love to start grabbing some shooter boards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I was just being curious because normally you'd need a game to test out the control panel and note if there are needs for replacement buttons or microswitches.

Testocules

Fio's Quartermaster
Looks better than mine when I got it. Side art looks to be in decent shape too. Take your time cleaning it up. Magic erasers work wonders for cleaning cabs - might even get that spot off.

I had the same plan for my Blast to be a dedicated vert cab. When you get ready to put your 360 on it, get the VGA cable and some MadCatz sticks like this one if you can find them. Soldering connections on them is much easier, and they are cheap too, got mine new for $10 a piece.

32028594-2-120-overview-1.gif

Also I would recommend getting some AMP UP connectors from Craig at giz10p to allow the control panel harnesses to connect directly to the 360 controllers instead of the cabs wiring.

Post some more pics as you progress so we can see how it turns out.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I was just being curious because normally you'd need a game to test out the control panel and note if there are needs for replacement buttons or microswitches.

I'm going to be replacing sticks and buttons regardless and besides I want to get the color scheme back to the green/pink.

Looks better than mine when I got it. Side art looks to be in decent shape too. Take your time cleaning it up. Magic erasers work wonders for cleaning cabs - might even get that spot off.

Unfortunately, the magic erasers couldn't get the spot off. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm not against giving her a new coat of paint, but I'm worried about not being able to get her back together and working in regards to the monitor.

I had the same plan for my Blast to be a dedicated vert cab. When you get ready to put your 360 on it, get the VGA cable and some MadCatz sticks like this one if you can find them. Soldering connections on them is much easier, and they are cheap too, got mine new for $10 a piece.

32028594-2-120-overview-1.gif

Also I would recommend getting some AMP UP connectors from Craig at giz10p to allow the control panel harnesses to connect directly to the 360 controllers instead of the cabs wiring.

Post some more pics as you progress so we can see how it turns out.

I'll see about grabbing a couple of those sticks. Also, I'll look into those AMP Up connectors.

I'll definitely keep posting pics as I go. Glad to see everyone's interested, keep the reply's coming.

NipRing

The Shlonginator,
Glad to see everyone's interested, keep the reply's coming.

Thats cause these are the cadillacs of sega's cabs (at the time) plus their owners are fiercely proud to own them. :buttrock:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Not much to update on the cab after this weekend. I spent most of my time working on trying to repair my KI2 board, removing rom sockets and replacing them.

I did receive a BC panel in a trade with "WinkWink" on our forums. Waiting on new sticks and buttons to come in from LizardLick.

I should have a pretty good update coming after next weekend.

chunblue

n00b
Nice cab there. I actually just bought a Atomiswave cab in the Chicago area this past weekend, was in great shape; totally worth the 6 1/2 one way drive.

Keep us updated! I'm working on restoring a NAC at the moment myself.

Grats on the purchase!

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Looks good. Kind of tired of staring at my own beat up SF2CE cab.. would love to get one of these someday.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Great looking cab there! Makes me feel better about deciding to deal with Ken.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
You won't regret dealing with Ken. He has a good reputation and I can definitely vouch for it.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Got a quick update tonight.

I received my sticks and buttons from LizardLick. If you're worried about the shipping delay, worry no more. I ordered Monday and received on Thursday.

Here is a pic showing everything.

Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT-SK sticks
Seimitsu PS-14-KN 30mm buttons

IMG_0109.jpg

And here is the panel with everything installed

IMG_0113.jpg

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
jealous, I could use one of those....

Looks sweet though! Love the mesh style ball tops!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The control panel looks great. Definitely got style there.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
jealous, I could use one of those....

Looks sweet though! Love the mesh style ball tops!

WOW! I'm surprised you could tell. I tried to capture the mesh ball tops in the pictures but the camera just couldn't get it to show.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Minor Update...

Due to the inability to get into all the nooks and crannies of the control panel. I took it apart and put it in the dishwasher. It did an excellent job, highly recommended.

I have placed an order for new 1p and 2p wiring looms and some amp up connectors from "giz10p". The new joysticks have the 5 pin connectors instead of the old style terminals connections. I will be making some 360 pad hacks to hook up to the amp style connectors.

I've had a hell of a time researching on the internet for a really good guide on 360 pad hacking. Just some basic static pics with "ms paint" instructions. So my question is, if this forum and possibly others like to see a full blown guide and perhaps a youtube video?