Bare Knuckle 3 > Streets of Rage 2 // edit: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SoR1

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I got that from your post, and no, it wasn't directed at you, but the seemingly ridiculous amount of people who think that the SOR series is some kind of pinnacle of beat-'em-up gaming. Again, I've got no problem with respecting them as solid titles but c'mon, a look at much of the talk in this thread (particularly the idea that SOR2 is an epoch of sorts)...

...that's what has me shaking my head. No hate for the series, just wonderment as to how it is respected on so high a level.

You're just coming off as bad as the people you think your ridiculing. It's not the 90s anymore, we don't have the 16-bit wars anymore. Yes, your precious SNES is amazing. No one's going to deny it. Yes, the Genesis is the best. Whatever. :annoyed:

Also, Sor2 and 3 are graphically impressive as far as 16-bit games go. Colour depth is limited by the hardware, but the quality of the graphics are top notch for their respective eras.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Well, there are some unavoidable differences between both but all in all I prefer SOR2.

BK3 has what SOR2 lacks - 2P fun.

don't get me wrong but no one wants any char in SOR2 other than Axel.
that was fixed in BK3 with Shiva ( using the cheat, that is ! ).
Running and rolling was badass too, but SOR2 still holds the crown for me, as long as it is 1P game.

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor

I have to completely disagree on that, because i'm a Blaze player only, and have used her in every SOR game. In SOR2 i can put your Axel to shame, anytime, anywhere! :vik:

And SOR1 only wins against SOR2 in the music department, only by a small fraction. (Both games' soundtracks are marvelous)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I always played Skate and prefer Blaze to Axel.

Favorite character in the series? Adam.

Loved the hell out of SOR3 when I was a kid, btw. Playing as a kangaroo and destroying tractors was freakin awesome.

I oftentimes miss the innocence and naivete of my youth; it certainly allowed me to enjoy things a lot more.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
See, I found that Axel was THE man... I have a great Max, however. If you stand REAL close, you can get all sorts of crazy hits off just his standing attack string. His third punch can hit up to like five fucking times! lol

But, I find near the end of the game, I'm pretty much just abusing the shit out of Axel's Grand Upper move over and over.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
See, I found that Axel was THE man... I have a great Max, however. If you stand REAL close, you can get all sorts of crazy hits off just his standing attack string. His third punch can hit up to like five fucking times! lol

But, I find near the end of the game, I'm pretty much just abusing the shit out of Axel's Grand Upper move over and over.

That's the name of the game with my Axel. The amount of block damage that move does to enemies still makes me giggle. Definitely levels the playing field when playing on harder difficulties.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
GRAND UPPER!

...holy shit, I actually "hear" that now. All these years I've been hearing...

"GUNDEZ PAH!"

:oh_no:

And I've always been a Blaze player myself. Fave character is Adam though, then Blaze, then Axel.
The others really were a waste of space in my opinion. Why couldn't part two been about rescuing
the kidnapped Chief of Police, or the Mayor... or Skate/Sammy? Like I'm supposed to believe that
Adam and his kick you from one side of the screen bad assed self could get kidnapped!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
GRAND UPPER!

...holy shit, I actually "hear" that now. All these years I've been hearing...

"GUNDEZ PAH!"

:oh_no:

You're not the only one, my friend. :emb:

Never could tell what that guy was yelling.

You learn something every day.

And yes, Blaze > all

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I personally find SoR1 more enjoyable than SoR2, mainly for the faster pace and control.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Why couldn't part two been about rescuing
the kidnapped Chief of Police, or the Mayor... or Skate/Sammy? Like I'm supposed to believe that
Adam and his kick you from one side of the screen bad assed self could get kidnapped!

The premise is a bit dry. How did he get caught? Let's face it, he's one man going up against ALL THESE GUYS.

So, how do they rescue him? Take one man and go up against ALL THESE GUYS. Wait, wait a minute...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have nothing to contribute other than to say that I never even played Streets of Rage 3.

Probably only played SoR2 only a handful of times at a friends house.

This thread and Jedah's Substance TV video showcasing Mega Turrican have got me itching to pick up a few Genesis games. Admittedly I never even owned a Genesis until like 2001/2002 when I was given one.

I guess i'll go look up what I gotta do to play JPN carts on my US Genny.

I kinda want to play one of the Strike games too. Like Jungle Strike. That always looked fun.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mega Turrican is probably my favorite Turrican.

Still kicking myself over not getting Super Turrican 2 for $3 at a Gamestop back around 2002. Haven't seen it since.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I guess i'll go look up what I gotta do to play JPN carts on my US Genny.

Most Japanese games can be played on a US system with a Game Genie or pass-through cart, like a honeybee. But there are some that are region coded. To play those, you'll have to find the region jumpers on the system board and rig up a switch. You'll also have to cut or file down the tabs on the back corners of the cart slot so Japanese carts can fit.

If you want maximum compatibility, it's best to rig up a switch.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Most Japanese games can be played on a US system with a Game Genie or pass-through cart, like a honeybee. But there are some that are region coded. To play those, you'll have to find the region jumpers on the system board and rig up a switch. You'll also have to cut or file down the tabs on the back corners of the cart slot so Japanese carts can fit.

If you want maximum compatibility, it's best to rig up a switch.

And Bare Knuckle 3 is one of those games that has region lockout when someone attempts to play them on US systems.

If you need, Ragmuff, I can send you instructions on how to rig a switch (or you can just google it).

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And Bare Knuckle 3 is one of those games that has region lockout when someone attempts to play them on US systems.

If you need, Ragmuff, I can send you instructions on how to rig a switch (or you can just google it).

Yeah, most (if not all) of the games made by Sega themselves are region coded.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Yeah, most (if not all) of the games made by Sega themselves are region coded.

No, only the later ones. Sega didn't start including region protection until late 1991/early 1992. Around the time the Mega CD came out. I remember 1993 being the year the everyone started to see region lockout messages on their games.

So, while you could play any Bare Knuckle or Streets of Rage 1 or 2 cart on any system, the same was not true for BK3. Off the top of my head PSIV, Virtua Racing, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra HC were other games that were locked out as well. All 1993 and newer.

Annoying.

Oh well.

FYI - Bare Knuckle 3 JPN will start in a Euro System.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
No, only the later ones. Sega didn't start including region protection until late 1991/early 1992. Around the time the Mega CD came out. I remember 1993 being the year the everyone started to see region lockout messages on their games.

So, while you could play any Bare Knuckle or Streets of Rage 1 or 2 cart on any system, the same was not true for BK3. Off the top of my head PSIV, Virtua Racing, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra HC were other games that were locked out as well. All 1993 and newer.

Annoying.

Oh well.

FYI - Bare Knuckle 3 JPN will start in a Euro System.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that Sega was putting it on their games from the start, while the other publishers didn't care until later. My bad.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Old School MEGA KEY converter cart will allow you to play ANY Mega Drive game from either JAPAN or the European regions by small Dip Switches on the back though. They don't pop up often, but they do come up on eBAY from time to time. And I'm sure some Hong Kong based seller or company probably could find a whole box full of them and sell them to an interested party. I bought mine at the time I purchased EX-RANZA back in '93 from Japan Video Games out in California... glad I never sold it. Though I ended up shaving down the sides of the cart to fit a Japanese Mega Drive model 1. The carts are shaped in the North American NTSC *Genesis* mold.