Attaching PCB mount jack onto single-sided PCB

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I just recently bought a Sega SG-1000 II, and I hopefully plan to mod it for RGB once it arrives. My main plan is to have it use the same SCART cable as my Genesis 2, and I also happen to have a Genesis 2 AV jack on hand for this. Normally I would pull out the RF modulator and solder the jack directly to the board where the RF jack was (and hence I don't have to drill a new hole), but the PCB on the SG-1000 II is single-sided. I'm trying to think of other ways of mounting it in a durable manner, so hot glue is totally out of the question. Any ideas?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Solder to the ground plane if it exists or drill into the PCB.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Solder to the ground plane if it exists or drill into the PCB.

I don't think he can do that with a single sided board. The top half of these boards are usually straight fiber glass and the copper planes on are the underside. You might have to use a panel mount connector if you want a clean look.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's just RGB maybe just use a panel mount (like mentioned) DB9. Then make a DB9>* cable.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If it's just RGB maybe just use a panel mount (like mentioned) DB9. Then make a DB9>* cable.
I'd rather not do that, I'd prefer to just use what I have. I could get a panel-mount 9-pin mini-DIN jack with the same pin arrangement as the Genesis 2, but all the ones I've found have big ass flanges and I don't know how one of those would fit in the SG-1000 II.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Take some pictures of the area you have to work with. The SG-1000 II isn't a commonly modded system so we're just throwing out blind suggestions.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Take some pictures of the area you have to work with. The SG-1000 II isn't a commonly modded system so we're just throwing out blind suggestions.
It hasn't arrived yet, but here's a picture I found that shows the general area I'll be working with:
mk2rearrfout7la.jpg

And the only panel mount 9-pin mini-DINs I can find are like this:
image210146.jpg

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Welp it turns out my SG-1000 II is actually an earlier revision that can't be modded for RGB. I wound up adding standard RCA jacks to it so I guess I don't have to worry about adding anything else.