APRIL SotM (Shmup of the Month) - DoDonPachi II: Bee Storm

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings and welcome to the wonderful world of PGM.

The Shmup this month is...

DoDonPachi II: Bee Storm

ddp2.png

* SETTINGS: Default
* CREDITS: 1
* EXTENDS: 0
* SCORE SUBMISSION: name - score - stage - type - platform
* FORMATS: Arcade / Emulation (I understand it plays fine in MAME 0.145u5, per shmups forums)

COMBAT TABLE:
1. _rm_ - 231,408,220 - Bomb Type - Arcade Hardware
2. Jeneki - 166,021,530 - Bomb Type
3. EllertMichael - 126,415,310 - 4 - Bomb - MAME
4. yatzr - 93,622,420 - 4 - blue - mame
5. whisper2053 - 80,528,330 - Energy Type - B Ship - PGM
P.
P.
P.
P.
P.

IR TABLE:
1. whisper2053 - 42,942,400 - Energy Type - B Ship - PGM

Last edited:

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
ugh i want this game soooo bad u guys are gunna make me buy it this month i can just see it now haha

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
What about game mode? Combat or IR, is it any different in terms of score?

Just played a couple of credits, this game is just GREAT!!! Its sad how it gets so underrated just because it's not official Cave. At least it's affordable :glee:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Apparently if you're playing version 1.02 you can switch ship type at any time by pressing button 4. I'm sure some elite chainer can figure out how to use this to their advantage.

Also if you bomb right when the game begins you can kill the first four bees, which makes Hibachi diarrhea bee items through the whole fight.

So lets get this party started!

DDP2_Jeneki_166021530.jpg

Jeneki - 166,021,530 - Bomb Type

(apparently I fail at entering initials today)

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Apparently if you're playing version 1.02 you can switch ship type at any time by pressing button 4.

Is this just for emulated versions? If so please don't do that so as to we can keep emulation and arcade on the same score table. I don't recall being able to do this w/the PGM cart.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
You can see the cart version during the bootup copyright warning, in the bottom right corner. There was a discussion over on System11 about updating the roms on a PGM cart a while back. I'm ok with sticking with Blue ship if needed though.

But yeah, there will need to be a lot of "honor system" for this game. It doesn't even reset the score after continuing. :oh_no:

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
You can see the cart version during the bootup copyright warning, in the bottom right corner. There was a discussion over on System11 about updating the roms on a PGM cart a while back. I'm ok with sticking with Blue ship if needed though.

But yeah, there will need to be a lot of "honor system" for this game. It doesn't even reset the score after continuing. :oh_no:

I've played this sparingly before - but not for score. So it doesn't add a "1" at the end of your score if you continue?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Actually it looks like it does add a 1. Nice call. Maybe I'm just overthinking things now.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
ran8sj.jpg

whisper2053 - 48,549,690 - Energy Type - B Ship - PGM

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Nice, I just picked this game up not too long ago.....good choice.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
It seem like i always get my best score on the first time i try, so i think this is it,lol:

_rm_ - 231,408,220 - Bomb Type - Arcade Hardware

YddBiaul.jpg

TIP - You don't need to bomb before Hibachi, just make sure you use laser and "attack" them right from the start as soon as you gain control of the sip and you will be able to kill all 4 of them.

Last edited:

yatzr

New Challenger
I'm on the board! Played for about 90 minutes. Very fun so far!

yatzr - 93,622,420 - 4 - blue - mame

lmGr6l8.jpg

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
So.

I had an appt. today that required me to take the bus from my base here to the other base that was about 45 mins away. The appointment lasted all of about 30 mins, and then i had almost 4 hours to kill before the bus picked back up to take me home. What's a guy to do with all that time on his hands?

Why, go to the USO with the Arcade-Inna-Backpack, of course!

2035ab.jpg

Combat Mode: whisper2053 - 80,528,330 - Energy Type - B Ship - PGM

IR Mode: whisper2053 - 42,942,400 - Energy Type - B Ship - PGM

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
That is legit, Whisper. I'll add your scores here shortly. We can do 2 boards as well.

I'm finally able to play. My cart was not working, i'll spoil the details here in case anyone has the same / similar problems w/their PGM setup down the line:

Spoiler:
Put the game in my mobo - went to startup screen (PGM intro w/spinning PGM letters) then froze. Took out cart, cleaned contacts, got it to go past that, but then it froze on the date screen. In the menu, everything checked out, but no luck. Put the cart in my consolized unit - got past intro screen, went to date screen, then started doing this thing where it just started counting from 0 (doesn't stop). Pulled it out, put in DOJ, played fine, put DDP II back in, same thing, intro-->date-->infinite counter, let it get up to 8,000 before turning it off.

Took the cart apart - unseated the (4) roms on the bottom PCB, cleaned the holders and the roms w/canned air, wiped the contacts down good again, put it back together and popped it in - fired up and played. Not sure if it just needed the roms disconnected to properly reset the game data, or if it was just dumb luck, but...it worked.

vinnyguy

n00b
I got to play this game at the MGC yesterday along with daioujou... My bee storm score was about 28995647000 I just forgot to take a pic

yatzr

New Challenger
I hate the score bonus for not dying. It's causing me a lot of rage. I've cleared stages 3 and 4 many times on their own while practicing, but as soon as I try a real run, I make some dumb mistake and instantly lose out on like 50m points.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
similar here, yatzr. I'm really struggling to do anything for some reason, usually get a stupid death at one of the spots that spews bees. I don't have a respectable score yet, hovering in the 50-60 mil range.