Anyone replace their Neo Big Red marquees with tempered glass?

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Was thinking of doing this. getting sick of the scratched up look of the plexi's and with how easy it is to get vinyl prints now days thought i would get some tempered glass pieces cut for my 2 slots then do a vinyl back print of one of the 2 slot marquess, probably also my SS2 dedicated. thought it would look pretty slick :) only concern is thickness. just need to make sure i can get it so it does not interfere with my mini marquess displays.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You can polish the scratches out of plastic in an hour or two or you could buy more plastic and just don’t ruin it.

Consider how the scratches got there…some kind of abrasion or impact…consider it may happen again, consider that tempered glass doesn’t really get gouged it just explodes when its hardness is overcome and then you have a million beads of glass in your machine.

Other than that, a decent idea. Glass is a much lower refractive index so things seem through it will be much cleaner and brighter.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's expensive, but the repro marquees from places like Szabo's Arcades and Quarterarcade are really nice. My big red has the 4-slot marquee from Szabo and the CPO from Quarterarcade. I would just buy that and be done with it if I were you.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
If your marquee plex is scratched but not cracked, use some Brasso or similar and buff out the scratches like Billy says. Should work great. I use it on turntable plex covers all the time. If It's cracked, I second Alec's thoughts.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
All my cabs i got from auctions so they are a bit beat up , i can clean the plexi as suggested but I personally just think a Tempered glass one would look nice especial in my Samurai Shodown II dedicated where i have a hard time finding a nice marquee for a decent price (mine ahs some print issues). I managed to find a conversion kit for it a long time ok but it did not have the marquee. If I decided on going the route of getting a new one printed, it just seems to me doing a tempered glass marquess with a clean vinyl printed backing would be the way to go. I seen some of the control panel print out on tempered glass they look pretty clean. Since I am in the process of cleaning up all my MVS cabs (i have 8 total) I was thinking of what would look good on a restore. Anyway there is a Glass shop close to my house i was going to see if i can get the glass done and i have somewhere to go for the vinyl prints just was wondering if anyone has tried it out.

My hope is if the glass break the adhesive vinyl would keep it together but of course it would all be trashed after that.