Anyone else who prefer KOF'97 of all KOFs?

MrLonghair

Morden's Lackey
It's my fave and I've played them all (on the real hardware, where it belongs) and I cannot figure out what keeps me playing '97 while ignoring my other MVS games, and all of my PCBs.

Anyone else prefer it over the other games?

(Edit: There's a KOF forum down below that escaped my eyes, move thread if you like, mods)

Last edited:

pretas

Marked Wolf
MrLonghair said:
It's my fave and I've played them all (on the real hardware, where it belongs) and I cannot figure out what keeps me playing '97 while ignoring my other MVS games, and all of my PCBs.

(Edit: There's a KOF forum down below that escaped my eyes, move thread if you like, mods)

nope.

ericb

NEST Puppet
98 is my personal favorite, but I can't say that I've played all of them to a great extent... with some of the titles, I may have only logged a couple of hours. I don't know, it's highly personal, but I just didn't get into 97. 98 still stands out in my mind as being the most fun of them all, and that's what counts to me.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
97 has some pretty good game play, but I can't put it anywhere near my favorite. What really kills 97 for me is the music... or the lack of it I should say. This game just feels like it was rushed to me, but still does have it's good parts. It is the end of the Orochi story line after all... :D I would have to put KoF 98-03 as well as 96 ahead of it.

gmtkr

n00b
MrLonghair said:

absolutely :D
it is my favorite kof! :glee:
tremendous animation in the backgrounds :tickled:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Welcome back AG.
Always nice to see excellent members return.
My FAV KOF's would most certainly have to be 98 and 2002.
KOF 97, is cool as well BUT I was abit disappointed in the Orochi sprite designs of Iori and Leona. The whole concept is cool though!
I really..really..wish that the sprite graphics were abit 'out there' in designs though.These tweaks don't entail beefed up technology of today's boards.
MAN, I could see NEO GEO making a comeback in the future
not kidding..
-BB

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Orochi Iori Y said:
97 has some pretty good game play, but I can't put it anywhere near my favorite. What really kills 97 for me is the music... or the lack of it I should say. This game just feels like it was rushed to me, but still does have it's good parts. It is the end of the Orochi story line after all... :D I would have to put KoF 98-03 as well as 96 ahead of it.

Same here - the lack of music makes it seem like the game was just rushed out the door. It's really a shame too, because the game has great style and terrific gameplay IMO. Oh well, it's still pretty good, but the lack of music really kills it for me, especially when playing one player.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
Same here - the lack of music makes it seem like the game was just rushed out the door. It's really a shame too, because the game has great style and terrific gameplay IMO. Oh well, it's still pretty good, but the lack of music really kills it for me, especially when playing one player.

sorry I have 2 disagree, as I have the CD version and the music ROCKS

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What music there is, I love. The New Face team theme, "Bloody", is one of my favorite KOF tracks. I like the ambient sound approach on some of the stages also. Of course, the story is also one of the great ones. The game plays well, imo.

What kills it for me are some of the punch-in-the-eye backgrounds, like the one in China or wherever. Horrible color choices that flatten the composition, combined with bad paralax. Sure, there are a couple great ones, and in general, they are better than the backgrounds in '01 and '02...but nowhere near the level of '96 or '98, or even '94 and '95, imo.

I also hate the cpu's random character select. Okay, it adds some variety to the play, but the story seems so central to the '97 experience. It just doesn't make sense from a story standpoint to have to fight a cpu team of Choi, Iori, and Robert. I know it's a weird complaint, but it doesn't feel right.

I like '97 but it's not my favorite. I'd put it about middle of the pack for me. Below '02, '01, '94, '96... above '99, '95, '03.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I like 97 because it finishes off the orochi story but my favorite KOF would probably be 2002.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Add me to the list. KOF '97 has always been my favorite as the feel of the gameplay has always been the most comfortable and suits me best. I also like the ambient sound as a bit of a one off, the inter-stage bits with Satella, and also the dark feeling the game has. The backgrounds admittedly aren't the best, but I feel they have some of the greatest personality and energy in the series.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Its the only KOF I can stand.
hahahaha...that sounds a little melodramatic. I'm curious what qualities of '97 make you able to stand it, that aren't in any other of the games.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
'97 was my first and favorite KOF. Sure the music wasn't the best but the character selection, backgrounds and gameplay were all solid.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
MrLonghair said:

Haha, I'm like this, I have put more hours into that game than any other I have ever owned or played in the arcade.

Gameplay and atmosphere do it for me. The gameplay simply can't be topped and never has been! The music is great, despite the good tracks not having been implemented as well as they could have been to appeal to everyone the actual music in the game is superb. It always bothered me I will admit that this is where they began pitting you vs only 6 CPU teams instead of the whole lot in the game, however, I still love it. I can never get enough of it no matter what!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
While, on its own, it's a very very good fighter, I have to say it's about in the middle of the series, for me. Why? Well, the first thing is the lack of music for some characters. The background noise is okay, but not great. Also, the shortcuts that were introduced (and then quickly removed from there on out) were a bit lame. You can do a power charge by pressing back/down, and then forward and the button. You are supposed to do a half circle, like in all the other games. They made these little short cuts to make the gameplay easier. It was a little too easy. The controls then became a bit too loose, unlike 98 where it was very tight, yet responsive and overall... great!

Speaking of 98, why play 97 when you can play 98 with a lot more characters, a bit better overall look to the backgrounds, and a ton of moves for everyone? Oh, the story mode. So the story mode is in 97, but big deal.

I tell you what 97 has that's better than just about any game ever made: That AES cover art is the pimp shit! A JPN AES cart with that full cover art showing the characters like that? Nice as hell. 98's is okay, but the 97 one just owns.

Overall, again, a great game, but......

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Spike Spiegel said:
Speaking of 98, why play 97 when you can play 98 with a lot more characters, a bit better overall look to the backgrounds, and a ton of moves for everyone?

'97 has nearly all the moves '98 does and typically offers you more combo possibilities with them to boot. Believe it or not '97 outsold '98 on MVS. Regardless, it's a fantastic fighter everyone should own.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
- -

You can do a power charge by pressing back/down, and then forward and the button. You are supposed to do a half circle, like in all the other games. They made these little short cuts to make the gameplay easier

- -

that terry shortcut is still present in kof 98

otherwise it would be impossible to do

crouch A,crouch B,df+ C,power geyser

97 is a great game for single play - the story,the blood riot,etc -

but i find it pretty "useless" in versus because of 98

98 is 97 with yes,more characters,more combos,better animations ( just think about orochi yashiro )

kinda like what happened to garou den 2

when you have garou special,there's really no point in playing 2 anymore

( unless you want better colours for the alternate outfits and a god-tier andy )

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Neo Bomber Man said:
Haha, I'm like this, I have put more hours into that game than any other I have ever owned or played in the arcade.

Gameplay and atmosphere do it for me. The gameplay simply can't be topped and never has been! The music is great, despite the good tracks not having been implemented as well as they could have been to appeal to everyone the actual music in the game is superb. It always bothered me I will admit that this is where they began pitting you vs only 6 CPU teams instead of the whole lot in the game, however, I still love it. I can never get enough of it no matter what!

ha ha, I expected a post by you. You totally sold me on 97, and I love the game, but not as much as 98, but still a fantastic entry.

In fact you can't go wrong with: 94, 95, 97, 98, and 2k1

just my .02

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
roke stAr said:
ha ha, I expected a post by you. You totally sold me on 97, and I love the game, but not as much as 98, but still a fantastic entry.

In fact you can't go wrong with: 94, 95, 97, 98, and 2k1

just my .02

there's not a single bad kof game

we can complain about i dunno,lame backgrounds in 2001 or err..lame backgrounds in neowave

but they're all uber solid and deep when it comes to gameplay

the ones you didn't mention included

( i'm playing a lot of 99 and 2000 these days )

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I havent played a kof in a couple months.

will get around to it .. soon