Any Iron Fisters pick up the new Tekken yet?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
If so, how is it? I'm planning on picking it up today and do some mad Asuka training. Hopefully, I'll be able to do her moves well on it. I'm really curious as to how well this translates from someone who isn't a publishing company mag. If the gameplay isn't compromised in any way, this might stay in my PSP for quite some time.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, I got the thing today, but had only a little time to give it a spin.

Needless to say, initial impressions are definitely positive. This definitely proves that 3D fighters can be done on a handheld. It's not perfect, of course, but it's decent enough. Initially, it looks impressive, but don't expect to see the same kind of framerate as what's become the law of Tekken/VF/DOA for all home releases, these days. It's no 60fps, all the time, but it works and is consistantly high enough for good gameplay.

I've given Miss. Kazama a spin and bearing the adjustment you need to make for the PSP D-pad; she seems just as responsive and ready to move, combo, do reversals, tackle as she used to. The small screen really helps to hide any possible reductions they made to make it perform well on the PSP, so there's nothing really to complain about. Even the backgrounds, while taking a hit, certainly didn't drop too much. It does appear to show PS2 level graphics including foliage, when it needs to. But gameplay, so far, feels surprisingly as close to spot on as possible. I'll have to play a lot more if I were to find true discrepancies; but considering how many portable fighting games where the difference is felt almost immediately, this is still a major step. The fact, I even have to say I have to play more to find out, is a good sign.

Characters like Marduk look big mean, and not cut back. He still towers over my girl. Making the start of fights against him, look daunting. :)

Still, I think what will be the main draw, for Tekken players, is that unlike the comparison of DVD to UMD, they didn't cut back on extras or content. The Tekken Dojo might be where most people will spend most of their time. It's immediately fun, you can play in spurts and come back; and there's a lot of unlocking and achievements to grab along the way. Having this stuff on a portable just makes it that much sweeter. It's like how the extras, Olympic mode, and mini-games in Match of the Millenium (NGPC) were just the kind of things a fighter on a handheld needs. They do it here, as any portable game that offers a range of arcade goodness, for quick thrills, always increases the value of the purchase. It's precisely why it seems those extras have more significance on the PSP than on the PS2.

Promised downloadable content is another nice little bonus. I'm sure this year's Otakon, is going to have the DS multiplayer sessions joined with PSP Tekken sessions. I guess I should get Asuka ready.

P.S.(observation) - Is it just me or is Namco going through a *Blonde rich girl* phase? First Soul Calibur, now this. :)

BIG

sony fanboy
I've been playing my copy since the JP release,and I must say that this is truly one of the most impressive handheld game I've ever played.

The game runs at 60fps during gameplay,and about 30fps during cutscenes. Minimal loadtimes are a big plus as well.

B-

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I have to wait another week before I can snag me a copy which is killing me as I've wanteds this since day 1. But it's nice to know that Namco did a bang up job on it and I guess it erases Tekken Advance from the gaming landscape, I wonder if after seeing this maybe Sega would be arsed enought to make a VF psp game( oh what joys that would be ).

At least Val Profile can keep me busy until the time I get it

So has anyone used Jin yet? Is he still the same or have they tweaked him for this??

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
BIG said:
I've been playing my copy since the JP release,and I must say that this is truly one of the most impressive handheld game I've ever played.

The game runs at 60fps during gameplay,and about 30fps during cutscenes. Minimal loadtimes are a big plus as well.

B-
You was right about this game very impressive!!:buttrock:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yung Burnout said:
I have to wait another week before I can snag me a copy which is killing me as I've wanteds this since day 1. But it's nice to know that Namco did a bang up job on it and I guess it erases Tekken Advance from the gaming landscape, I wonder if after seeing this maybe Sega would be arsed enought to make a VF psp game( oh what joys that would be ).

At least Val Profile can keep me busy until the time I get it

So has anyone used Jin yet? Is he still the same or have they tweaked him for this??
I got DR last night, played as Jin for about 45 minutes or so. I'm not overly familliar with T5 (have it but haven't played it a ton), but I think he's the same as in that game. The balance on him is obviously a lot better than it was back in Tag Tournament (he was abusive back then he was so unbalanced, IMO), but he's still effective. His counters have a shorter number of catch frames, I think, but that also helps balance.

Excellent, excellent game. The character models are only a tiny step down from the PS2 T5, and the backgrounds are very respectable, too. I'm pretty much floored by the animation. Like BIG said, 60 FPS on a handheld 3-D fighter is freakin' impressive. And I don't even mind the controls. I have throws mapped to the shoulders, just in case, but I found myself just using the face buttons after a half hour, no real problems getting the moves.

Great game that will hopefully stand with Daxter and Syphon Filter to keep a high bar for other developers on the PSP.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Funny enough, the hardest button combinations for me were always the Square+Circle and the X+Triangle. Anytime you have to hit two buttons square across from each other without hitting the other buttons. Those were my trigger candidates. :)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ordered a copy today.

Can't wait to play this after hearing all the positive reviews.

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
Just got this today. Holy shit we need more games of this calibre on the PSP. The graphics are better than I would have hoped, the gameplay is just about spot on with NO slowdown and very little load time. The only thing I'm getting used to is the d-pad and it's suckiness in pulling off diagonals. They're doable I'm just having trouble finding them all the time. Tons of gameplay modes means I'll be playing this for a long time to come.

My only gripe so far, and it's not even a gripe about the game, I just so wish they would bring back a Tag mode...

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
jro said:
I got DR last night, played as Jin for about 45 minutes or so. I'm not overly familliar with T5 (have it but haven't played it a ton), but I think he's the same as in that game. The balance on him is obviously a lot better than it was back in Tag Tournament (he was abusive back then he was so unbalanced, IMO), but he's still effective. His counters have a shorter number of catch frames, I think, but that also helps balance.

Excellent, excellent game. The character models are only a tiny step down from the PS2 T5, and the backgrounds are very respectable, too. I'm pretty much floored by the animation. Like BIG said, 60 FPS on a handheld 3-D fighter is freakin' impressive. And I don't even mind the controls. I have throws mapped to the shoulders, just in case, but I found myself just using the face buttons after a half hour, no real problems getting the moves.

Great game that will hopefully stand with Daxter and Syphon Filter to keep a high bar for other developers on the PSP.

That's good to hear, while I won't say I've mastered him in T5 but I was having a blast learning all his stuff in that one and so it seems using him will be like putting on a glove. If the other board I go to every now and then was up I'd go see if all the haters for this game have learned to eat crow for as you said 60 fps on a handheld is the sheez-ah.

Man you guys are gonna make this week as unbearable as ever aren't ya'll

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Anybody been online with this game? Any impressions on how it plays and all that jazz?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Even the diagonals aren't bad with a bit of practice. I can get both of Jin's dragon uppercut-motion uppercuts with little to no problem, probably only miss them one time in ten tries.

I think the online component is that you can go online and download other people's "ghosts." Interesting idea, really- that way the lag issue doesn't come into play, but the game's shelf life is still lengthened immeasurably.

Bandai/Namco really nailed this one, I hope they work on more PSP games soon.

I wanna see Soul Calibur II Remix (or some other such update) on PSP (and yes, I said II on purpose).

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Alex0916 said:
You sure it was your friends copy.:smirk:

I felt guilty cause I had thought about jacking him for it

Tekken, great games but can also destroy friendships

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
So....whats everyone's win record and where can we arrange some ghost swapping?

BTW: I still have more d-pad nubs left.

O.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'd forgotten how dumb of a boss Jinpachi is. Reminds me of something out of the DOA series. He's not as mind-numbingly cheap as some of Tecmo's creations, mind, but he sure is um, underwhelming.

Is it just me or is the CPU Panda a total bitch in this game?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, the original T5 Jin Pachi was overwhelmingly cheap at times. In this version, he seems a lot dumber and easy to beat for the level.

Tecmo's meanest boss was Raidou, the ones after him were pretty darn easy. The only one since Raidou that really got on people's grain was Alpha. A real insanefest. Though when Jin Pachi Tekken 5 PS2 wanted to, he could turn right into another Alpha. DOA 3 was a minigame, not a boss. Just look for obvious wind-up patterns and do the right thing when you see them. He seriously telegraphs his moves. Once you run up on him, so a quick combo and block. It was almost more platform game than fighting so I consider the last real fight in that game, the one before the boss. DOA2 and Ultimate had a real boss which was average. He had some mean combos, but in general, nothing too cheap and tough and nothing too easy.

I have to agree with you on the Bears. For some reason, they aren't the dumb fighters they used to be. In fact, they seem to roll right with it and put some nasty pressure on. They definitely join the line of fighters that love to get a hit in (any hit) and turn that right into an unshakable 50%+ bar combination. I also have to watch out for people like Baek and Hworang, who seem to be just that much better at timing you and using that distance game to get their combos in.

Last edited:

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
jro said:
I'd forgotten how dumb of a boss Jinpachi is. Reminds me of something out of the DOA series. He's not as mind-numbingly cheap as some of Tecmo's creations, mind, but he sure is um, underwhelming.

Is it just me or is the CPU Panda a total bitch in this game?

That goddamn bear kept me out of advancing in the fire dojo like three times.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Glad to see Panda has more tier this time round.

I used to own Tekken Tag, Panda and Xiaoyu, a tidy combination!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
To those playing online, I have a question. I'm attempting to register my ghost online for tournaments and such but I noticed you need to complete all the pre-requisites, i.e tekken bowl, time attack, etc.

My problem is with command attack, I've completed it it numerous times but it doesn't register. Thus I cannot upload and register my ghost.

Any theories?