Adrenaline Kick: eBay bidwar on Import Xbox game

lordnikon

Another Striker
I can feel the adrenaline coursing through my veigns right now.

I have been searching for this Xbox game for a little over a year on ebay. In that time I have spotted only 1 Buy it Now Auction, for a lot of money, and before I could make up my mind, it was snagged. For over 10 months now I have not seen another listing. Finally another was listed.

I have been sitting, waiting patiently for this auction to tick down. NINE (9) DAYS I have been patiently waiting. The auction was set to end at 11:30am Central US Daylight time. At my work ebay traffic is blocked by websense. However I have ways to get around this. I arrive at work today and my route is blocked. Apparently the data center where my proxy is setup is getting a SYN DDOS attack and is crippled.

At this point I am going out of my mind.

At around the 10:45 mark I start trying some other things. I do a search on google, then click to login through the "cache". BAM it works! Either websense isn't blocking at this specific time, or funneling through google cache got me through. Whatever, who cares, all that matters is that I am in.

I leave the page up and only refresh every 5-10 minutes, patiently waiting... biding my time. At this point the auction is still at $85.00.

I still have not told you all what I am bidding on. So I shall now explain. I am a big fan of From Software, and the Armored Core franchise is one of my favorite game series ever. I have known about the Import original XBOX title "METAL WOLF CHAOS" since its release. At the time I wasn't as well off moneywise as I am now(meaning I was broke back then), and was not hip to the limited pressing of this title. Otherwise I would have bought it immediatly. I should point out that I am not one of those college dropout internet surfing idiots who, only just recently happened upon this games plotline on youtube and get all "LOLLERSKATES" over it. The setup for Metal Wolf Chaos is directly in-line with the over the top style and attitude of your average Arcade Game. So I am not some new to the party poser who doesn't understand what this game is all about. I am a huge fan of mech games, and arcade games, and realise that this title is a perfect marriage of both worlds.

...OK BACK TO REALITY...

Fast Forward to 55 seconds left to go in the auction. The price is already starting to spike, it hits 90, then 105.

There is now 35 seconds left...

There is now 21 seconds left...

I now slam in my max bid of $250.00!

The auction is now at 202.50

OH NO!! 2 Seconds left and the auction has spiked to 250.00!!!!!!

2!

1!

AUCTION HAS ENDED.

I won the item for 250.00 flat. In the last 15 seconds someone also put in the same 250 max bid. However since I was the first person to put up that same exact max bid, I was the one that won the auction. Had that other bidder entered 1 more cent, they would have won.

This auction was for a sealed METAL WOLF CHAOS Japanese Import for the original XBOX.

Thanks for reading. I am pretty happy and excited right now :)

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
hey, i downloaded the game for free.

i wouldnt pay $2.50 letalone $250 for it.

lordnikon

Another Striker
not sonic said:
hey, i downloaded the game for free.
Cool, I like to own the original game release.

not sonic said:
i wouldnt pay $2.50 letalone $250 for it.
Then you are one less person on the planet I would have had to compete with to win the auction. ;)

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Wow, that's one game that appeals to collectors only.

Thank god I don't collect games anymore.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Lastblade said:
Wow, that's one game that appeals to collectors only.

Thank god I don't collect games anymore.
Actually, I do not collect games. I open and play them.

So the plastic is coming of this game. The crazy part is, that I hope to oneday own 2, for system link. ;)

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
jesus christ what a shitty thread

you won an auction , congrats, no need for the dramalogue though

(lol, buying xbox games at all, let alone for that money)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I agree with Kernow.
Very few games on xbox appeal to me.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
congrats on the auction. Sounds like you were desperately trying to get this title, so congrats on getting it....the voice acting is terrible though.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Congrats, its nice to see someone actually appreciate what they have for once. Ignore the drama queens, they have no life and like to shit on peoples threads. Enjoy your game, you've earned it ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Guess it's better than Bubble bath Babes....

Nah....

lordnikon

Another Striker
kernow said:
jesus christ what a shitty thread
Next time I will try to create a thread which appeals specifically to you. Atleast my thread was just shitty enough for you to take some time out of your day to reply. ;)

kernow said:
you won an auction , congrats, no need for the dramalogue though
The thread would have been more boring and plain without the dramalogue.

Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
I agree with Kernow.
Very few games on xbox appeal to me.
Very few games on the xbox appeal to me as well. I despise the brand and don't like how MS builds their consoles. I own 30 games total for a US xbox, and they are all japanese developed Xbox games. My sole reason for owning an Xbox is for the Sega titles that would have been on the Dreamcast had Sega not gone multiplatform. Games like Gunvalkyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta were originally Dreamcast games before their development was shifted over to the Xbox.

BIG BEAR said:
congrats.
BB
Thanks, much appreciated

eek said:
You paid $250 for this piece of shit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZVmtDuMxAA
Sorry if my taste in games is not on par with your own interests.

OrochiEddie said:
congrats on the auction. Sounds like you were desperately trying to get this title, so congrats on getting it....the voice acting is terrible though.
Thanks OrochiEddie. I was desperately trying to get this title. Mech games are a passion of mine, so this was a must have game for me. And when I say mech games I mean the likes of Armored Core, SLAI, Carnage Heart, Front Mission, GunFriffon, Steel Battalion, etc etc. (Rather than super robot games which involves gundam, macross and such - i still like these too but do not consider them to be "mech").

Yes the Voice Acting in this game is super horrible, but that is part of the appeal. Much in the same veign as House of the Dead 2.

xmods said:
Congrats, its nice to see someone actually appreciate what they have for once. Ignore the drama queens, they have no life and like to shit on peoples threads. Enjoy your game, you've earned it ;)
Thanks xmods. Yea I really do appreciate all of my video games and play them all on a regular basis. I am pretty sure I have booted up ebay 3 times a week for the last year querying "0" results for metal wolf chaos. It is nice to finally know I have procurred this game, and one less title on my to buy list to search for on a consistant basis. The last one up on ebay was that BIN auction for $169.99 for a used copy. So I made out pretty much on par with the going market rate for this game.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Grats on scoring something rare. I've had a couple of close scrapes like that myself so I know where you're coming from. :)

That said, I can't imagine wanting any game bad enough to shell out that kind of cash for it. Am I on the wrong forum or what?
kekeke.gif

n00bz0r

Armored Scrum Object
yeah,... all bad voice acting aside, that game looks like a typical 3rd person shooter. nothing special about it and most definitey not worth $250. sorry pal. you got ripped.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Murray said:
Grats on scoring something rare. I've had a couple of close scrapes like that myself so I know where you're coming from. :)

Murray said:
That said, I can't imagine wanting any game bad enough to shell out that kind of cash for it. Am I on the wrong forum or what?
kekeke.gif
Ughhh you're on a Neo-Geo forum, where people are willing to shell out 8,000-12,000+ for Ultimate 11 / Kizuna Encounter. My purchase is actually dwarfed by some of the purchases people make on here.

n00bz0r said:
yeah,... all bad voice acting aside, that game looks like a typical 3rd person shooter. nothing special about it and most definitey not worth $250. sorry pal. you got ripped.
Well, you might have felt ripped, since you see nothing special about it. The game is worth 250.00 to me, otherwise I would not have spent it. I have played the game before, and am a big fan of the developers that made it. That is why I spent the money I did. This was a logical purchasing decision, and not:

"... guys did I get a good deal, has anyone played this game before? i wonder if it is any good. I used my birthday money from my grandma to buy this..."

Lets say I did wait and try and get super lucky, working my tail off on ebay and other sources over the next 2 years to get it for $150.00. Do you know how many man hours would need to be exhausted to do that? I could make 100x that much money actually working during those hours rather than crawling around ebay trying to save a nickle.

Time is money.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Why did you wait a year and not go through Yahoo Jap auctions?

lordnikon

Another Striker
Darklighterx said:
Why did you wait a year and not go through Yahoo Jap auctions?
For a few years I was working on some independent research projects, and was scraping by on client work. I had very little money coming in. Then things all changed when I got a steady job, and it took me a while to get used to the sudden influx of cash. It was a gradual thing, and there were many other items I was tracking down and buying.

I didn't actually start searching for Metal Wolf Chaos aggresively until 5 months ago.

I also did not know about Yahoo Japan Auction Services until just recently, and have been taking the steps necessary to get setup with another source for buying from Yahoo Japan. I knew about Yahoo Japan of course, but for a time it was just out of my reach, or something I did not have time to get setup.

I am certain better deals will come along for Metal Wolf Chaos. I am certain some will sell for around 180-220 on average for a while and then the price of the game will plummet as people lose interest. If I spent another 5 months scouring Yahoo Japan I probobly could have gotten it cheaper, but as it stands I just wanted to get the purchase overwith.

This is a sealed game too, so it will be brand new and in mint condition for me. Most of the copies future copies I will run into, will most likely be used.

Also, I have a chance to score another at a cheaper price when and if I come across it. As I have said before I want to get another for System Link multiplayer. When I get that one, I can hold out for the cheapest price and then the cost of the two games would be averaged.

-Ben