80s arcade pictures

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Posts
2,164
24816477_8e53d0ca4d.jpg

all pictures

I'm sure a lot of you will appreciate this. Really makes me feel sad that I never experienced the glory days of the arcades. :(
 

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Posts
5,887
smuf said:
24816477_8e53d0ca4d.jpg

all pictures

I'm sure a lot of you will appreciate this. Really makes me feel sad that I never experienced the glory days of the arcades. :(


It was pretty cool, even the tiny town I grew up in had an arcade with probably 30 machines in it. On a Friday/Saturday night it was almost impossible to move around because there were usually two people playing a machine and a couple waiting. That was back when people would put a quarter on the maching to either challenge you or let you know that they were next.:tickled:
 

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2002
Posts
24,310
Gameoz said:
That was back when people would put a quarter on the maching to either challenge you or let you know that they were next.:tickled:

They do that here now.
 

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Posts
2,533
I remember that set. It's pretty awesome.

The two old malls here (though one is now a "business center") used to have some old-school arcades. They were nice and dark and one was even built a lot like this one.

I actually had a birthday party in that one when I was 5 or so ... of course that was before all that "party room" business they have now. It was more of "here's $5 in quarters, have at it." Of course, $5 got you a lot farther back then. Afterwards, I walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways. :tickled:
 

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2000
Posts
7,887
Those are some awesome pics, from a world that doesn't exist anymore. It's kind of sad. I was pretty young around that time (born in '76), but I do remember playing a lot of those games. My real arcade time was late '80's/early '90's, but I do have fond memories of playing Tempest, Stargate, Defender and many more like that at the Stardust skating rink. Do they even have skating rinks anymore?
 

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Posts
5,887
GD said:
Those are some awesome pics, from a world that doesn't exist anymore. It's kind of sad. I was pretty young around that time (born in '76), but I do remember playing a lot of those games. My real arcade time was late '80's/early '90's, but I do have fond memories of playing Tempest, Stargate, Defender and many more like that at the Stardust skating rink. Do they even have skating rinks anymore?

I have not seen a skating rink in over a decade. The arcade that was in my small town closed down and a skating rink opened up within a few months. They put about five or so arcade units in it.

Talk about one failed business following another. It was really a fad back then though, I think some people thought it would just continue to be a money maker.
 

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2002
Posts
21,322
Tampa rules I guess. We have United Skates of America and a few decent arcades / bowling alleys.

United Skates of America, lol.
 

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
9,327
we have a united skates in our rec center. theres an arcade too but ive never been.

one of the malls has an arcade but its pretty shit. i havent been there in a few years so maybe its better......

8 on the break is a pretty nice arcade thats kinda close to where i am.

and of course theres the shore/boardwalk.
 

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Posts
23,647
There's still a bowling alley and skating rink in my town. Both have changed owners/names, and I haven't been to them since the switch.
 

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2002
Posts
24,310
pixeljunkie said:
Canada....YEARS ahead of us.

Do you have gaggles of either large black people or white trash pretending to be black huddling around fighters yelling and cursing at the top of their lungs?
 

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2002
Posts
21,322
DARK ANDY said:
Do you have gaggles of either large black people or white trash pretending to be black huddling around fighters yelling and cursing at the top of their lungs?

Ban please.
 

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Posts
2,533
GD said:
Do they even have skating rinks anymore?
Baton Rouge has two that I know of. One (the only old-school one left) is part of a two-rink thing ... they have a full-size ice rink right next door to a skating rink. The ice rink was closed until a few years ago (just sat there rotting) but when they stopped doing seasonal ice skating downtown, they opened it back up. The roller rink, last time I was in there (admittedly 15+ years ago, though they NEVER got new machines), they had a Ring King, Karate Champ, Spectar, and the requisite Pole Position w/ broken shifter. I'm quite sure it's the last old-school feeling arcade environment in the city.

The other one was built in the mid/late 90s and has the usual redemption crap in it.
 

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,979
DARK ANDY said:
Do you have gaggles of either large black people or white trash pretending to be black huddling around fighters yelling and cursing at the top of their lungs?

WTF?
 

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2002
Posts
24,310
He said Canada is years ahead.

I asked if they have those groups of people, as these groups I described are in every Arcade here, and they make playing very difficult when they take up the entire aisle and you can hear them clear across the other side of the Arcade.

Because if you guys in USA don't have groups like these, then Canada is not years ahead at all.

For example, Street Fighter : Third Strike Machine.

One guy is playing, and a group of about 6-8 people arrive with backpacks, drop their backpacks around, and stand around the machine, while one of them plays against the guy who was already there. All the while the game they are yelling random things and cursing uncontrollably, drinks and food in hand.

When the guy playing loses, another takes his place and they continue blocking the entire machine's view and taking up the aisle so it's difficult to pass. After every round they win, they high five each other and go WOOHOO YEAH BABY THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!"

This is the reason I hate going to Arcades, that and the Volume is turned up to maximum for every game so you can't distinguish between any game.
 
Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

最性感的男人&#
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2001
Posts
13,670
Gameoz said:
It was pretty cool, even the tiny town I grew up in had an arcade with probably 30 machines in it. On a Friday/Saturday night it was almost impossible to move around because there were usually two people playing a machine and a couple waiting. That was back when people would put a quarter on the maching to either challenge you or let you know that they were next.:tickled:

Ah, the good old days. I still set quarters on my Simpsons machine.... both because there's no freeplay, but also as an homage to the days that arcades didn't blow.
 

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
6,265
DARK ANDY said:
He said Canada is years ahead.

Because if you guys in USA don't have groups like these, then Canada is not years ahead at all.

surpassed all my wildest hopes of awesomeness. Glad I didn't unsubscribe to this thread too soon.
 

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,979
DARK ANDY said:
He said Canada is years ahead.

I asked if they have those groups of people, as these groups I described are in every Arcade here, and they make playing very difficult when they take up the entire aisle and you can hear them clear across the other side of the Arcade.

Because if you guys in USA don't have groups like these, then Canada is not years ahead at all.

For example, Street Fighter : Third Strike Machine.

One guy is playing, and a group of about 6-8 people arrive with backpacks, drop their backpacks around, and stand around the machine, while one of them plays against the guy who was already there. All the while the game they are yelling random things and cursing uncontrollably, drinks and food in hand.

When the guy playing loses, another takes his place and they continue blocking the entire machine's view and taking up the aisle so it's difficult to pass. After every round they win, they high five each other and go WOOHOO YEAH BABY THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!"

This is the reason I hate going to Arcades, that and the Volume is turned up to maximum for every game so you can't distinguish between any game.

I guess the US is ahead of Canada then because every arcade I've been to has been relatively quiet. Maybe 2 or 3 people standing around one machine.
 

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Posts
2,088
Glad to see someone else likes these. I've had them all zipped away somewhere for ages. GREAT pics.
 

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Posts
34,074
DARK ANDY said:
He said Canada is years ahead.

I asked if they have those groups of people, as these groups I described are in every Arcade here, and they make playing very difficult when they take up the entire aisle and you can hear them clear across the other side of the Arcade.

Because if you guys in USA don't have groups like these, then Canada is not years ahead at all.

For example, Street Fighter : Third Strike Machine.

One guy is playing, and a group of about 6-8 people arrive with backpacks, drop their backpacks around, and stand around the machine, while one of them plays against the guy who was already there. All the while the game they are yelling random things and cursing uncontrollably, drinks and food in hand.

When the guy playing loses, another takes his place and they continue blocking the entire machine's view and taking up the aisle so it's difficult to pass. After every round they win, they high five each other and go WOOHOO YEAH BABY THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!"

This is the reason I hate going to Arcades, that and the Volume is turned up to maximum for every game so you can't distinguish between any game.

I'd still prefer this to the 8 year olds yelling "Boom Headshot" if they win and "DIE U N*GGR F*GGOT" if they loose
 

SSS

neo retired
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Posts
10,771
You guys should really stop by Crab Towne USA in Glen Burnie MD. Largest personal collection of 80's arcade machines I've ever seen. It's like stepping into a time capsule.

I'll try to take pictures next time I pass through.

I found this: some shitty pictures but you can see some cabs in the background.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshsisk/sets/72057594135166319/
 
Last edited:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2001
Posts
11,835
We used to have two really cool arcades in Downtown Hamilton, Ontario. There were essentially right next to each other and located in those early twentieth century narrow but long buildings (first floor business, second floor 'pleasure' and third floor residence. Both were three floors (with an adult section located on the second) and very cool.

My memory of them starts at about the late eighties and ends at about a few years ago. As far as I know, both were owned by the same people (mafia types) and were stacked with the newest shit. One of them closed in the early nineties and the consolodated all of the machines in one building. The remaining one was called Casino, and remained open until a few years ago.

Such a cool building too. The first floor was probably 15 feet wide, but scores deep. They had many stools, a cigarette macgine and a 'relic' section in the back with all sorts of broken machines. Again, very long building. It was painted black with mirrors running down both walls and up until 1998 or so, they always had the newest things. In 1992, it was System 32 glory like Golden Axe 2, in 1994, they had Daytona, in 1991, they had T2, in 1998 they had Daytona 2 BotE, etc. As a matter of fact, they had the full, huge, Golden Axe 2 machine from when I was 10 until the place closed in about 2003ish. They were also one of the few arcades in town to get new later Neo Geo games like Kof99, MotW and Metal Slug 3 long after many owners had written the Neo off.

But what a difference a few years could make. The last year they bothered getting new machines and games was probably in 2000. Hydro Thunder was the last thing I remember being of a new, high tech nature.

After 2000, they removed the expensive machines and relied on some old cabs with new kits and Mobos. At this point, if the buttons were broken, they stayed broken. If the machines ate your quarters, you lost them for good. And the guy they had employed there was some crazy looking retard with curly grey hair and thick specs. He would hang out in front of the arcade sitting on one of the stools looking at people as they passed by - definitely not someone that will attract any kind of customer.

Where once it was a dangerous and cool place to hang (I remember learning in high school that one of the "tougher" kids in my school was rolled for his wallet one night) it had become depressing, boring, broken and run by people who didnt understand what made arcades special - keeping it fresh.

Regardless, every time I stepped in there past 2001, I knew I was in a place that was very rare in North America and that every time I put my money in a Sunset Riders or a Golden Axe 2 machine, it might be the last.

Now it's a "vintage" clothes store. Though always rancid and dangerous, the building is now a shadow of its former self. Its not exciting and no one cares about that area anymore. Much like the rest of the downtown In my city.
 

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Posts
458
I have some great memories of playing SF2 at the local roller skating rink (still exists to this day). I was doing pretty good on one occasion and I pissed one guy off because I would use Chun Li and use her head stomp over and over. A few people told me that I had to let them throw me because I threw them when they were dizzy. :lol: TMNT, Golden Axe, and Double Dragon are the others I remember from that place. There was an arcade right around my home town for a number of years, but sadly it closed last year. From what I understand they moved to another nearby town, but I haven't taken a drive to see. In about a years time I managed to get them to sell me 4 different games while I did some tech work for them on the side.
 
Top