80s arcade pictures

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Remember when it was a necessity for a Pizza Joint, Variety Store or a Video Rental to have at least one arcade machine?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
smuf said:
24816477_8e53d0ca4d.jpg

all pictures

I'm sure a lot of you will appreciate this. Really makes me feel sad that I never experienced the glory days of the arcades. :(
Figure you got those pics from that site.

Timeout! Was my favorite arcade chain i use to go there alot when i was a kid.They were some thing during... the 80's into the early 90's.Still the, sad part about it is afther early 90's ended the close up here.From what i herd 'they were bought out by namco and made into there own arcade chain.

Arcades of the old are sure dead now all there is now are Game Works,Dave&Busters and Chuckie Cheese.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
You guys should really stop by Crab Towne USA in Glen Burnie MD. Largest personal collection of 80's arcade machines I've ever seen. It's like stepping into a time capsule.

I'll try to take pictures next time I pass through.

I found this: some shitty pictures but you can see some cabs in the background.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshsisk/sets/72057594135166319/
No idea that was in MD maybe i'll vist it one day.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SuperGunGuru said:
I would use Chun Li and use her head stomp over and over.

I remember doing that, too. If you timed it right you would hit them 3 times in 1 jump and they would instantly be dizzy.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I think those pics have been posted before, but that's quite alright, things like that deserve a repost.

There is a "classic arcade" still around here in Portland called Ground Kontrol. It's got a shitload of games from the golden age of arcades, which is great. It still doesn't quite totally capture the feel of arcades in the '80's though, mainly because it's a lot brighter (remember when practically the only light emanating from the arcade was the glow of the arcade cabinets themselves?), and because it's not all classic games, there are some games from the 90's and more recent here and there. Still though, it's a cool place.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
Arcades of the old are sure dead now all there is now are Game Works,Dave&Busters and Chuckie Cheese.

The last time I went to Chuck E. Cheese, they had taken out The Simpsons arcade and others and had them replaced with skill machines and all that crap...

sad day.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Remember the 80's arcades very well. Mesa, AZ used to be the arcade capital of the world. Before the great arcade collapse, there were over 60 different arcades, as many as 29 open at once. My friends and I used to ride our bikes to all the different ones, many of them have high score contests for free games and we'd clean up on them. Also honed my skills in breaking into them quite easily without EVER getting caught.

These days I use those skills to catch suspicious people trying to break into my games in the arcade I work at in the local pizza place. 53 games and always somebody wanting to do harm to them :oh_no:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I'd still prefer this to the 8 year olds yelling "Boom Headshot" if they win and "DIE U N*GGR F*GGOT" if they loose

...That's what they do in Arcades? :spock:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
smuf said:
24816477_8e53d0ca4d.jpg

all pictures

I'm sure a lot of you will appreciate this. Really makes me feel sad that I never experienced the glory days of the arcades. :(

Nice retro pictures though the old Atari Football CT is a product of the 70's :tickled:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
The last time I went to Chuck E. Cheese, they had taken out The Simpsons arcade and others and had them replaced with skill machines and all that crap...

sad day.
That is sad when, Chuckie Cheese came here they ran the local arcade out of business wich was Fun'N Games.

Pretty much arcades in my area are dead now.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Rade Kuruc said:
Remember when it was a necessity for a Pizza Joint, Variety Store or a Video Rental to have at least one arcade machine?
Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

... that just completely set me off on a post of positively epic proportions. So epic, in fact, that it's just too damn long to post here. I put it in my MySpace blog instead.

If anyone has a lot of time to kill, the post is here.