161-in-1 Multicart

Hawkeye

n00b
As much as I'd like to have all the original carts, the multicart is just so much more cost effective for me. I know a lot of people wouldn't stand for such blasphemy, but I'm new to this and I'm not a hardcore collector as much as someone who just wants to enjoy neo geo games. Plus there are plenty of other games not on the multi that I'll collect (Windjammers etc.) So I'm looking at the 161-in-1 and I've heard about some of the other multis being set on level 8 difficulty, not saving highscores, etc. Any disadvantages I should know about for the 161 in particular?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I've made this post a ton of times but I think it should be said if you are new to the neo.

I don't have any moral problems with a multicart really, my issue with multicarts is your basically oversaturating yourself with good games, I know that sounds silly but you have to understand that a good arcade game is not a few hours of casual quarter munching fun, these are deep games with challenges and scoring systems. You will only get the most of them if you really take one game and give it alot of attention.

If you get 161 games at the same time you most likely jump from game to game and never really dedicate love to one game the way you would be forced to if you just got one at a time. Some people have more willpower than others.. but for most people if you truly want to enjoy the neogeo for a long time I would personally say buy and enjoy one game at a time. it's more money in the long run yes, but for MVS it's still not a ton of money and it's a smaller investment in the short term..tons of games for under 50 bucks will bring you hundreds of hours of fun.

Hawkeye

n00b
I've made this post a ton of times but I think it should be said if you are new to the neo.

I don't have any moral problems with a multicart really, my issue with multicarts is your basically oversaturating yourself with good games, I know that sounds silly but you have to understand that a good arcade game is not a few hours of casual quarter munching fun, these are deep games with challenges and scoring systems. You will only get the most of them if you really take one game and give it alot of attention.

If you get 161 games at the same time you most likely jump from game to game and never really dedicate love to one game the way you would be forced to if you just got one at a time. Some people have more willpower than others.. but for most people if you truly want to enjoy the neogeo for a long time I would personally say buy and enjoy one game at a time. it's more money in the long run yes, but for MVS it's still not a ton of money and it's a smaller investment in the short term..tons of games for under 50 bucks will bring you hundreds of hours of fun.

Thanks for posting again. That was my main concern in getting a multicart and I completely agree with you. I think I have pretty good willpower when it comes to these things though. I'd love to spend months mastering one particular game, but I just don't have the time for it, especially when I still want to keep up with the new releases on the modern consoles and maybe collect for other systems. Plus the multi is only $70, so a $40 or $50 game with shipping just doesn't make sense for me when that could get me a game for another system.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you don't want kids trying to change carts in the cab constantly and risk shocking themselves or starting a fire, a multicart is the way to go. Arcade equipment weren't designed with child safety being a top priority.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
XcomplexzX is totally right. I bought the 161 a few months ago when I first started collecting, for me it was a great way to dive into the neo library and get a taste of some old faves, and new titles I never knew about. However lately I have been trying to pick up many of the common mvs on the cheap, because just as he described, I jumped around so much with the multi, and didn't really enjoy it, but when I put a in regular cart, I get more enjoyment out of it, plus the fulfilling feeling that the cart once spent it's life in an arcade somewhere, only to end up in my house. One thing I do like about the multi though, I have a lot of options for attract mode, to just leave on all day.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I use the cart mainly for the plus versions of games with all the extra characters already available lilke Double Dragon Plus, Sengoku 3 Plus, SVC Plus. Also games which are near impossible to buy on MVS like Pleasure Goal and Samurai Shodown V Special

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I use the cart mainly for the plus versions of games with all the extra characters already available lilke Double Dragon Plus, Sengoku 3 Plus, SVC Plus. Also games which are near impossible to buy on MVS like Pleasure Goal and Samurai Shodown V Special
didn't realize the plus versions had the extra chars, I haven't really bothered to try any of the unofficial games, thx for the heads up

Merugear

n00b
I just can't seem to find that cart for 70$... Anyone willing to part (and wait till my salary gets deposited :P) with one for teh cheap, lemme know!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
When the next revision comes out, the current one will get a significant price drop.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Interesting point about diluting what makes retro gaming special by getting everything at once. Money being a factor though, Hawkeye asked about the 8 difficulty default, and I am curious about that too.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I want to buy one of these so bad ..but I don’t know what to get or what I need to run it..

Here’s what I have.
BIG RED Dedicated Original 4 Slot Cab..4 slot mobo..

Candy Cab..MVSU4..4 Slot Mobo..
Both cabs running 4 slot mobos with MVS carts..

I have plenty of carts (left) ..I have plenty of MVS fighting games ,SVC in the Candy now..

But I lack some of the games I sold off such as Prehistoric Isle 2.Drift Out.Neo Mr. Do,Zupapa,etc..

This 161 seems like the Cart to buy,..I don’t want a lot f fighters,I have them already.

I would like to put this in the Candy Cab 4 slot mobo but I’m not sure if I can do that.?