Did you ever play 3 Count Bout?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
It was a 1CCBBH stream, he has the actual 1CC vid here but he did multiple attempts so it might not actually have any relevant "tips" unless you watch the VOD and start with his first attempt:

@BlackaneseNiNjA got the strats though :buttrock:

Yeah, it was BlackaneseNiNjA who explained the ins and outs of the game pretty well, I took that advice and was able to turn it into a 1CC after a bit of practice.

Do I think 3 Count Bout is a good game? Not really. I don't think it's complete garbage either though, now that I have a better understanding of how the grapple system works. In a way it kinda makes sense, land some hits on your opponent first and THEN do a grapple and you'll be more likely to win. The main problem with this of course being that it's not immediately obvious this is how it works, because the momentum bar is not shown until the grapple starts so you have no idea how much the momentum is in your favor, especially since it returns to neutral over time. And even when you know how it works, you STILL gotta be a pretty fast masher to win some grapples.

But at least there's some sense to it and it's not completely rigged. It's not like King of the Monsters 2 where the winner is decided immediately, and you never get to win more than like 2 grapples in a row... so that just becomes a game where grappling is sure death, and you spend the entire time knocking bosses down and doing super moves over and over. So there's that.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
It was one of those games I always knew about, always saw for sell in the 2000s for cheap, and the only thing I knew about it was the Shinkiro cover art.

But it was a wrestling game! So who gives a shit, right? The only wrestling game on the Neo-Geo, even.

Played it for the first time a few days ago and was impressed by the graphics (100 MEG SHOCK!) but gave up after the first fight. Difficulty seemed stupid hard even by SNK standards.

I can appreciate the work that went into making this game, obviously a lot of time was spent into making it because it does look great but...it's a wrestling game.

How about you?
No I never played it, come to think of it there`s a few MVS games I never played.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, it was BlackaneseNiNjA who explained the ins and outs of the game pretty well, I took that advice and was able to turn it into a 1CC after a bit of practice.

Do I think 3 Count Bout is a good game? Not really. I don't think it's complete garbage either though, now that I have a better understanding of how the grapple system works. In a way it kinda makes sense, land some hits on your opponent first and THEN do a grapple and you'll be more likely to win. The main problem with this of course being that it's not immediately obvious this is how it works, because the momentum bar is not shown until the grapple starts so you have no idea how much the momentum is in your favor, especially since it returns to neutral over time. And even when you know how it works, you STILL gotta be a pretty fast masher to win some grapples.

But at least there's some sense to it and it's not completely rigged. It's not like King of the Monsters 2 where the winner is decided immediately, and you never get to win more than like 2 grapples in a row... so that just becomes a game where grappling is sure death, and you spend the entire time knocking bosses down and doing super moves over and over. So there's that.
Wow, amazing! Is there a strategy guide posted somewhere, or just the video?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Wow, amazing! Is there a strategy guide posted somewhere, or just the video?

It was linked in Gremlin's post in #10 of this thread, hehe. I'll just requote it here in its entirety for this thread.

Hey whats up BBH. Hell yeah, I love 3 Count Bout. Back in the 90's as a kid I always thought this game was a sequel of some sort to Fatal Fury 1 and I was waiting for Raiden to appear as a hidden character or a secret fight :lolz:

I know that many have used autofire to break the game, but I unfortunately didn't have anything like that back in the day so I used the following strategy that helped me 1cc the game back then.

Naturally, as a big Terry Bogard fan, I went with Terry Rogers since I was hoping that there was some sort of relation/connection lol Either way, it turned out to be a great pick since his moveset ended up being really solid.

Up close, Terry Rogers' renzoku version of his "open hand punch" (forward+rapidly hitting A to trigger the move) is easy to abuse when just outside of auto-grapple range and above or below the opponent. However, the enemy can escape the multi-hits and avoid the knockdown property of the move so the majority of my damage was dealt using his "flying side kick" attack (C+B or A) and his "jumping shoulder tackle" (forward, forward A or B) followed by a downed attack on the opponent. Be careful, his flying side kick has a long recovery when missed so I tend to use it when the AI is trapped in a corner or I am just above or below them. To escape damage I relied heavliy on the following move:

Terry Rogers' slide: Forward or Back+AB

This move was key for staying mobile and escaping close damage. It causes Terry to perform a very quick slide that can also be canceled into from an active dash (forward, forward) if needed. This will allow Terry to run in (forward, forward) but then cancel and slide out of range if you need to escape or bait the opponent into making attack animations that have openings, which we can quickly punish with Terry's "jumping shoulder tackle" or the "flying side kick" depending on the situation.

Regarding grapple strategies, though far from a guarantee, as a kid, I was able to win grapples by rapidly hitting the button as fast as possible by trembling my hand while barely depressing the buttons. This lessened the distance that the button needed to travel in order to repeatedly depress the input/cherry-switch in the control panel. Damaging your opponent just before the grapple is initiated gives an advantage so land attacks first. Also, if Terry wins the grapple by a big advantage you can quickly press down A+B and he will perform his special "Fire Suplex" grapple (the name is cooler than the resulting animation) just be careful that you are not too close to a wall or the ropes which can break the animation otherwise going for the pile driver (down+B) does great damage too.

With that said, since winning the grapple was not always guaranteed I still tried to avoid grappling the AI when possible by sliding away when close to avoid the possible damage.

Don't hesitate to climb up on the turnbuckle, oil drums, or the crane hooks in the backstage environments and abuse the flying attack any time that the enemy is in position at mid-screen (except against Brab.Man/Blubber Man; you'll want to shoulder jump tackle him anytime his knife attack animation ends). You can also still climb up on the turnbuckle even in the ring with the electrified ropes. This can be a major way to do damage on the earlier enemies who tend to recover quickly to escape your down attacks. If your opponent attempts to climb up on the turnbuckle simply use Terry's sliding move to quickly slide away (usually makes you go off screen); this will cause the AI opponent to abort their move and climb down, once they get down hit them with a free "jumping shoulder tackle" (forward, forward A or B) and set them up for multiple flying side kicks (C+B or A) if you have them trapped/cornered.

Also, I constantly shifted up or down to stay just above or below the opponent so I could slide away and perform a dash attack if needed. The characters all primarily play the same and the game can be similar to Art of Fighting 2 in that some opponents can be baited into performing the same attacks over and over, which you can then repeatedly punish with any move that causes a knockdown (jumping shoulder tackle or flying side kick).

Lastly, Master Barnes can be trivialized by simply spamming Terry’s standing B kick and moving/alternating between the top-most and bottom-most part of the ring. Barbes will continuously attempt to perform his multiple kick attack but the longer range of Terry’s kick will interrupt the attack and keep Barnes just out of range. When Barnes has enough distance he’ll attempt to close the gap with a flying attack, simply move to the top or bottom of the ring to avoid it and go back to using Terry’s standing B kick. Rinse and repeat.

Highly recommend people give these strats a shot to see if they help you get a little farther into the game, it helped me understand it a lot better. I don't know about strats for characters other than Terry Rogers though...

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Played it for 2 minutes until I turned it off or exited to another game when I had a neo mini.
One of those neo games I couldn't get into.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I bought the game when it came out, actually its not really that hard.
I always took the red dragon to play it and easy mode.
Basicly all you need to do is to hit the opponent a few times before you grapple him to make wrestling moves.
Otherwise getting the upper hand is hard.
Some other tactic that works quite well is to went up the ropes and do a moonsalt to the standing enemy. When he lays on the ground, make some sleeper hold or just go back to the ropes and wait untill he almost stands again and jup on him again. That way you drain the live bar and you can also win the match.
On some enemys you will also need to use dash attacks.

On easy you can complete the game with 1 credit, i always liked it for the presentation and i did play it quite often.
Dont know why ppl dont like it or find it to hard.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
I have a similar opinion. I also got the game back in the day and my favorite character was The Red Dragon too. I liked the game a lot and have very good memories playing it; I love its pixel art and design, those were amazing graphics back in the day. I always felt it was a pity none of 3CB characters made it to KOF.

Gameplay wise, it felt hard at first (that’s what she said), but it’s not that much really, it’s just a matter of learning each opponent’s patterns/weakness, just like other fighting games, and be ready for crazy button mashing when needed (I remember it was painful at times).