What is the best Fatal Fury game?

MadMax37

n00b
Real Bout and FFS are games that you simply need to have. I own all of them, in one form or another(AES, MVS). Real Bout Special is also magnificent.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Agreed, you need all of the Real Bout series but there are 3 main ones you need to have:
FFS - Old style but great.
RBS - The magic of the new art style, new system and out of bounds fun.
MotW - Classic and different again.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Agreed, you need all of the Real Bout series but there are 3 main ones you need to have:
FFS - Old style but great.
RBS - The magic of the new art style, new system and out of bounds fun.
MotW - Classic and different again.

you're probably right on that top three list. but i personally might change motw with real bout 2.

vinnieboy1

New Challenger
My top would be RBFF and RBFFS. RB2 looks nice but plays a lil different. FFS is fun for a nostalgic game. But it's game play is slow for today's standard, still a classic.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
My top would be RBFF and RBFFS. RB2 looks nice but plays a lil different. FFS is fun for a nostalgic game. But it's game play is slow for today's standard, still a classic.

i respect your opinion, but can't you say that about most older games?. doesn't street fighter 2 world warrior play slow for today's standard?. i'm hearing stuff like this a lot recently. what people need to understand is that this is a retro gameing site, and when you criticise a well respected game like fatal fury special for being "too old" it just doesn't sound right.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I bought RBS for MVS :loco:. Plays lot better than RB and looks nicer than RB2. I like those rings outs in RB thou..

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I bought RBS for MVS :loco:. Plays lot better than RB and looks nicer than RB2. I like those rings outs in RB thou..

real bout special is truly a master piece. and i'm actually playing it right now. ex andy is so sweet. but i won't say it's a lot better than the other real bout games. i wouldn't say rb spacial plays a lot better than real bout 1. they just play different. yes, most do prefer the gameplay of real but special, but real bout one also plays really well.

i do agree that real bout special has the better looking back grounds and intro. but real but 2 has those great super move animations. over all i would say real bout special might be the better game out of the three, but not by a lot.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
real bout special is truly a master piece. and i'm actually playing it right now. ex andy is so sweet. but i won't say it's a lot better than the other real bout games. i wouldn't say rb spacial plays a lot better than real bout 1. they just play different. yes, most do prefer the gameplay of real but special, but real bout one also plays really well.

i do agree that real bout special has the better looking back grounds and intro. but real but 2 has those great super move animations. over all i would say real bout special might be the better game out of the three, but not by a lot.

I have to say that Real Bout 1 is just a gem. RBS is my favorite, but both are so unique from each other that you gotta have both. Too bad my RBS MVS cart is having sound issues which keeps me from playing more.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I have to say that Real Bout 1 is just a gem. RBS is my favorite, but both are so unique from each other that you gotta have both. Too bad my RBS MVS cart is having sound issues which keeps me from playing more.

yep, pretty much what i said. they are different. real bout special always seems to have the upper hand whether it's gameplay or visuals, but not by a lot. they are all great games. and sorry to hear about your copy of real bot special. just go with mame and forget about dealing with these issues ever again :lolz:.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
No love in these post for Fatal Fury 3. I think it was the game that started the Real Bout train with its great intro, large sprites, and upgraded art style.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I enjoy all of them, i just havent had the chance to play them in awhile. I need to atleast get back on some FFS, RBFFS and RB2

Ip Man

15 Year Member
No love in these post for Fatal Fury 3. I think it was the game that started the Real Bout train with its great intro, large sprites, and upgraded art style.

fatal fury 3 has a special place in my heart. it was the only game in the main fatal fury series that got a port outside of a neo console, which was the saturn port. and i played and cherished it soo much back in the day.

there was actually a time when i was trying to convince people that ff3 should be acknowledged more. but the entire series is soo good that when one has to make a choice of only one to play, ff3 does get pushed back. but it will never be forgotten.

Naika

Street Hoop Star

That intro is boss....the wolves are back!!!

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
fatal fury 3 has a special place in my heart. it was the only game in the main fatal fury series that got a port outside of a neo console, which was the saturn port. and i played and cherished it soo much back in the day.

I played FF3 on PC back in the days. It has nice intro.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I played FF3 on PC back in the days. It has nice intro.

there was a pc release?. didn't know. yeah, that intro is sweet. i always liked the real bout 1 intro, but ff3 probably has the best intro in the whole series. real bout special into is also pretty good.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
RBFF2 has always been my favorite aside from MOTW. Franco Bash is my main character.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
To me the game that defines what Fatal Fury is could be Real Bout, it was a great retelling, great ending with Terry, amazing atmosphere, however, my favorite FF games are as follows.

1) Fatal Fury Special
2) Real Bout Special
3) Fatal Fury Wild Ambition

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Wild Ambition? That's gotta have a good explanation behind it. Is the Arcade version much better then the PSX version?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
FFWA plays a lot like Real Bout Special but it also adds to it, the unblockables, overheads, fake supers, and a sorta soulcalibur combo system where you can link highs and lows in a string, it just works real well. My favorite feature is the side stepping, just like most Namco 3D fighting games side stepping is nothing new but it works very well with the FF premise of a different plane, the game can get real hectic if both parties abuse the system, it really is that intuitive. The arcade board runs a lot more fluid than the PSX version, the backgrounds are way more lucid and the characters just look way more defined. Still the gameplay is basically the same and the PSX has that awesome Intro plus a couple extra characters. This is just my personal opinion, I know FFWA isn't a favorite, I just happened to like a it a whole lot. Geese specially is amazing in this game, could be the best Geese ever, so cheap! I wish there was a sequel with the usual Krauser follow up.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
FFWA plays a lot like Real Bout Special but it also adds to it, the unblockables, overheads, fake supers, and a sorta soulcalibur combo system where you can link highs and lows in a string, it just works real well. My favorite feature is the side stepping, just like most Namco 3D fighting games side stepping is nothing new but it works very well with the FF premise of a different plane, the game can get real hectic if both parties abuse the system, it really is that intuitive. The arcade board runs a lot more fluid than the PSX version, the backgrounds are way more lucid and the characters just look way more defined. Still the gameplay is basically the same and the PSX has that awesome Intro plus a couple extra characters. This is just my personal opinion, I know FFWA isn't a favorite, I just happened to like a it a whole lot. Geese specially is amazing in this game, could be the best Geese ever, so cheap! I wish there was a sequel with the usual Krauser follow up.

I can't say I hated it, but I felt like something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it. It left me thinking the Hyper 64 release is probably better since I played Warriors Rage on PSX and Samurai Shodown 64 and SS64 felt way better. I hope to get to play it someday.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This is just my personal opinion, I know FFWA isn't a favorite, I just happened to like a it a whole lot.

Does it run with 60fps? I couldn't ever verify it, because there's no decent working emulation. Would like to know that about Shodown 64 as well. I myself am a sucker for blocky polygons, that's the kind of abstraction that suits me. Early 2.5D games are among my favorites, but they're so much better with 60.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Just because the conversation is getting interesting what 2.5d games are your favorites? Street Fighter EX?