Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
What Laird said about April:
-he originally intended her to be Asian but she was changed to white; Laird himself never intended her to be black
-she was portrayed as white in the earliest comics but was later sometimes drawn as black
-she was named after Eastman's then-wife who was mixed black/white and Laird says Eastman might consider April mixed race

This was her earliest colored appearance (Colors by Eastman):
FqkFDQqXoAAGVDX

Right after this she gets a perm, which is where the cover above came from.

Here's one from later, colored by Laird:
RaphaelSnapper2.jpg

So, April was supposed to be Asian, is generally white, but sometimes black. There ya go.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Regarding April in the TMNT, she was actually originally created as a black character. They changed her ethnicity in the cartoon show. She wasn't overweight though.
4bc2d6528d4746bd3d84ce028321b70d.jpg

Tales07-01.jpg

They did the same thing with Baxter Stockman.
latest

92834b0793a2e2a222be82137ce599a0.jpg
The 2003 TV show correctly reverts Baxter Stockman back to a black man. Still one of my all-time favourite characters in that version.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
What Laird said about April:
-he originally intended her to be Asian but she was changed to white; Laird himself never intended her to be black
-she was portrayed as white in the earliest comics but was later sometimes drawn as black
-she was named after Eastman's then-wife who was mixed black/white and Laird says Eastman might consider April mixed race

This was her earliest colored appearance (Colors by Eastman):
FqkFDQqXoAAGVDX

Right after this she gets a perm, which is where the cover above came from.

Here's one from later, colored by Laird:
RaphaelSnapper2.jpg

So, April was supposed to be Asian, is generally white, but sometimes black. There ya go.
I guess I kind of knew that. I have a bunch of the early comics. Other than number 1, I have about a 40 or 50 issue run. And sometimes she looks basically like she did on the tv show. But I figured those must have been later issues that they changed her to match the show. Haven't really looked through them in years.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
at what age does someone become too old to care about ninja turtles? what about pokemon?

Right around the time you start touching other people's genitals.

Jokes aside, while I wouldn't dare to tell people not to have nostalgic attachment to things they loved as a kid, at some point you do have to be able to take a step back and recognize that you're investing your time and your emotion in to useless shit designed to entertain and manipulate dumbfuck kids. Not that you shouldn't enjoy it anymore. Just recognize it for what it is: flights of fancy from a simpler time when you were more easily entertained.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
at what age does someone become too old to care about ninja turtles? what about pokemon?
That would be me but I've never cared. I was old enough that they were kid's shows.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Ritual- Well this one showed a lot of promise but ended up just being kind of meh.

Ouija: Origin of Evil- This on the other hand is a recipe for disaster. It's a prequel to a lazy, cheap, disposable, PG-13 piece of shit based on the worlds laziest board game. The follow-up should be a total dumpster fire and it probably would have been but it's directed by Mike Flanagan. Don't get me wrong, it's still a generic, cliched, PG-13 turd but Flanagan at least manages to infuse it with a little bit of his own style and atmosphere. Which is a small miracle all things considered.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Um.

It does look stupid as shit as though. Saw the preview at Spiderverse.

This is basically the same cop out as the new Star Wars "Why are you mad? It's a movie for little kids." Not liking something or even calling it trash in a review is not being 'upset' at least in any sense that would attempt to invalidate the opinion.

But it's rated PG-13. It isn't really for young girls. At least not of the target age that are actually playing with Barbies. Plotwise, this seems like it is pandering to cynical (possibly childless) feminist millennials.

Further, it does seem odd that Mattel would take one of its main properties and not make a family friendly general audience movie with it like Mario which made like $1.5B and I thought was honestly not great, but there wasn't anything to complain about either.

Barbie however is full of political messaging, and whether I might agree with any particular message or not, it is pretty obvious that loading your movie with political or religious stuff isn't a good idea for broad appeal.

And the message isn't really one of self-esteem as it is victimhood anyway.
Hey champ, Barbie made over a billion dollars

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Turtles did decently at the box office. Not a smash hit but not a bomb either. It has good word of mouth so it should have long enough legs to get to 200-250 million or so on a 70 million dollar budget. Which is good for them since they've already started making a two-season spin off TV series and greenlit a theatrical sequel film. The second live action Bay Turtles film tanked really hard so that probably dragged the opening weekend for this one down.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
MIssion Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 - Tom Cruise is still running at 60. This time, he runs because there's a rogue AI that becomes sentient and infiltrates ALL of the computers and will destroy the world because rogue AIs always want to destroy the world. It also makes doing his spy stuff much more difficult because the internet. It's the usual race from one exotic location to another to find the maguffin (in this case, a two-part key that can stop the AI for techno-bullshit reasons) but it definitely drags in the middle and ends on a strangely boring cliffhanger. I've actually liked the last couple of M:I movies for just being solid, kinetic action movies but this one definitely left me cold. I think a big part of it is that the villain is nameless and faceless and can do whatever it wants whenever it feels like it and while the gentleman who plays the AI's human partner(?)/avatar looks sufficiently menacing and is supposed to be a person from Tom Cruise's past, the reason he's supposed to hate him is so incredibly dumb/cliche that it reads like it could've been written by an AI.

So yeah, the action set pieces are fun (obligatory car/motorcycle chase, Tom Cruise running on the roof of a building, the train stuff) but nothing is as interesting/wild as the Dubai stuff from 4 or some of the more crazy stuff from 6/Fallout, the "emotional" moments are laughable because no one is remotely invested in any of the characters from Mission Impossible (except maybe Ving Rhames?) and nothing here makes me particularly excited for MI 7.2.

Negativity aside, it's perfectly workmanlike and there's some neat stunts and exotic locales. It was just less interesting than the last few M:I movies for me and needlessly long.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
New Turtles movie is rad. Just because both it and Spiderverse have roto-scoping, doesn’t mean one is aping the other…just like neither of these films are aping Bakshi flicks.

TMNT is well acted, the few things retconned are less offensive than movie X-Men wearing all black (and actually fit the story), and it was fun to see in a movie theatre.

I went with my 13 year old daughter…from someone who has read the comics since they were new on stands in the 80s, to someone who only had ever seen the Nictoons reboot a few years ago-there’s something for everyone.

tl;dr

TMNT is not just GreatValue Spiderverse. Is good stand alone flick.