Cave. Steam. *mic drop*

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This thread has gone completely off the deep end. A port and emulation are mutually exclusive concepts. The only thing they have in common is that neither is on the original hardware platform.

And stealing IP via MAME really shouldn't be held up as an alternative to supporting a developer when they port their games to a new platform.

I don't really see a difference between the word emulation and port other then you pay for one and don't pay for the other.
That's not even true. Nintendo's Virtual Console and Sony's PS1/2 Classics allow you to support developers/publishers and emulate.

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I would say an emulated game would try to mimic the environment of the original game (SH-3/CV1000) where as a port would bring the game to the native platform of the system (DirectX for PC etc...)

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I would say an emulated game would try to mimic the environment of the original game (SH-3/CV1000) where as a port would bring the game to the native platform of the system (DirectX for PC etc...)
I think that's a good general rule. Typically speaking, retail or Steam releases are ports with the exception of classics bundles, which often are emulated, e.g. the Taito Legends series. The digital console releases are more evenly divided it seems.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I don't MAME anything. I've tried for a few SotM competitions here and there for games I don't have like HotDog Storm and whatnot, but I just don't have the patience (or probably the right PC) to set up programs, drivers, roms etc. When I have gotten a game to actually load - I can't get the controllers to function the way i'd like. It's a headache and i'm too old / not interested in figuring it out.

Now, with STEAM; they do a few things that make it very easy on us PC illiterate folk. First, almost all USB controllers are plug and play compatible. No endless driver install or button mapping. Second, STEAM "Big Picture" mode natively fits the game to your screen; in particular, your home TV (I play on a 32" LCD w/zero issues).

tl;dr - There are more tangible reasons why a STEAM release is not akin to "MAME'ing" it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Holy crap guys.

Port = The game's original code and assets (e.g., graphics, sound) are rebuilt on the target console / system.

Emulation = A virtual console is run on the target hardware, which loads a rom into the virtual console.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
They're pushing it out this Winter too. That's pretty impressive, in my opinion.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
That choice seemed inevitable, but that doesn't make it any less exciting.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
This is nice for the shmup "fans" who don't own a JP360 yet for whatever reason. But all these niche-Japanese-game publishers that have been popping up on Steam lately will need to start releasing stuff that I can't already play on my JP360 if they want my money.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm hoping this means the price of Mushi HD on 360 will drop. Probably not, but I can hope!

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
XdeqXCU.png

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
This is nice for the shmup "fans" who don't own a JP360 yet for whatever reason. But all these niche-Japanese-game publishers that have been popping up on Steam lately will need to start releasing stuff that I can't already play on my JP360 if they want my money.

X2

At least we can hope for the blue label DLC since they mention somewhere something like "new DLC". Let's see...

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Great first title as the 360 version was Japan Region only so it opens up to a lot more western players and the 1.5 matsuri version will follow as DC for everyone and not just for the first edition LE 360 buyers .

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
My God.. if Raizing/Eighting took a cue from this and started rereleasing all their shooters on steam too I might actually die.. I'm not sure my body is ready for that one..

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Yep. :thevt: hopefully they just picked this since it would be a relatively easy port and they'll do an unconverted game next. I'd even settle for Dangun.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
But all these niche-Japanese-game publishers that have been popping up on Steam lately will need to start releasing stuff that I can't already play on my JP360 if they want my money.
Yep, I'll bet you're enjoying your 360 versions of ALLTYNEX Second, Armed Seven, Astebreed, Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, eXceed, Gigantic Army, Hitogata Happa, Kamui, RefleX, Satazius, Supercharged Robot VULKAISER, Sword of Asumi, etc.

Spoiler:
It's possible I inadvertently included some Japanese-style western games in there, but you get the point.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I don't think he meant doujin

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Yep, I'll bet you're enjoying your 360 versions of ALLTYNEX Second, Armed Seven, Astebreed, Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, eXceed, Gigantic Army, Hitogata Happa, Kamui, RefleX, Satazius, Supercharged Robot VULKAISER, Sword of Asumi, etc.

Spoiler:
It's possible I inadvertently included some Japanese-style western games in there, but you get the point.

Some of those are already available on PS3/4, which I also have. But regardless, you don't even need Steam to actually play most of those, since the original physical releases of most of those doujin games for PC aren't hard to find.

But yeah, also like Kiel said, I'm hoping more for stuff like Esp.Ra.De/Progear no Arashi/Ibara BL to get released, preferably with extra content like arrange modes or HD sprites etc.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
But yeah, also like Kiel said, I'm hoping more for stuff like Esp.Ra.De/Progear no Arashi/Ibara BL to get released, preferably with extra content like arrange modes or HD sprites etc.
Obviously. I think we all are.