The battle of the Century! Super Street Fighter 2 vs Samurai Shodown 2

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Parry is a high level tech that makes the game extremely difficult to play for noobs. On top of this dealing with lag is quite the feat cause to have to give up your defense to parry, so if you can't get a grip on what the input delay, game speed, or frame dropping is doing all you end up doing is taking unecessary risks. Because of this many novice players won't even parry which kills a major portion of the game.

Unlike parry just defend is easy to get into, works easier on lag since you aren't sacrificing much to try it, and has a level that is good for novices and has different ways to go about using it depending on how to use it and the T.O.P. system together. Use the T.O.P. at the beginning if you want to be more agressive. T.O.P. at the end is more defensive making more easier comebacks since you can regain life even faster with both working at the same time.

Now I can also bring up the unbalanced 3rd Strike that has most online players and Garou players really don't main the top tier (Gato, Kevin, B. Jenet) let alone the favorite character being used is the lowest tier (Rock). Also other techs like fake moves or move breaking which is a lot harder to master then ex moves for the arguement of 3rd Strike is deeper.
Maybe when you take the lag of online play into account, the Garou system is better. But for high-level play on actual cabs, SFIII parrying is arguably better. Or at least the SFIII has more potential to take gameplay to stratospheric levels.

Daigo (Ken) Vs Justin (Chun Li) at EVO: (Daigo parries a 17-hit Super Art combo)

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Whenever I see Blanka I still think he should be white and not green.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Maybe when you take the lag of online play into account, the Garou system is better. But for high-level play on actual cabs, SFIII parrying is arguably better. Or at least the SFIII has more potential to take gameplay to stratospheric levels.

You picked a bad example there. If you read the book or knew anything about what happened the match itself was basically Wong using unfair Chun Li advantages to keep Daigo at bay till Daigo had enough of it. That's why the Seth quote "Rare footage of Daigo angry." happened. What was cool was the one moment in the match. Justin got squashed afterward cause Japan at the time was light years ahead of anyone here. If you want to see high level footage to prove something or another here's a Garou match with the highest tier (Kevin) vs the lowest tier (Rock). This is the tip of the iceberg. The net is littered with them.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
You picked a bad example there. If you read the book or knew anything about what happened the match itself was basically Wong using unfair Chun Li advantages to keep Daigo at bay till Daigo had enough of it. That's why the Seth quote "Rare footage of Daigo angry." happened. What was cool was the one moment in the match. Justin got squashed afterward cause Japan at the time was light years ahead of anyone here. If you want to see high level footage to prove something or another here's a Garou match with the highest tier (Kevin) vs the lowest tier (Rock). This is the tip of the iceberg. The net is littered with them.

this is insane.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

Well, it was really just an example, to show that players at the high levels are capable of using the parry whenever they want, and 17 times in a row. Can you find me another video where someone parries a 17 hit combo in SFIII?

If you read the book or knew anything about what happened the match itself was basically Wong using unfair Chun Li advantages to keep Daigo at bay till Daigo had enough of it.
There is a book about it?

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Well, it was really just an example, to show that players at the high levels are capable of using the parry whenever they want, and 17 times in a row. Can you find me another video where someone parries a 17 hit combo in SFIII?

Plenty of them out there considering how popular 3S tournaments are in Asia still. You can gladly go through 1000s of hrs of footage "The Shend" posts alone. The rarity of the Evo moment was due to it being a Grand Final match.

3rd Strike is the best 1v1 fighter ever made, 15 years and counting. There is no further argument.

Also, can't tell if trolling... but... to set the record straight:
Claw = Vega (Balrog in Japan)
Boxer = Balrog (Bison in Japan)
Dictator = Bison (Vega in Japan)

The claw/boxer/dictator names just came up as a way to keep characters straight between Japan/US.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Again it was a bad example. Both games do multi hit parrys/just defends. On the idea of parrying supers it's not that big of a deal. I have parried Oro's giant ball before and just defended all of Kain's fireball super before. I personally am not that great. Daigo is on record saying once he got the 1st parry he knew he would parry the rest of the Chun Li super. The true high level game comes from parrying or just defending multi hits that don't come at the same speed. Hence the video I showed you.

Yes there is a book for Evo Moment 37 called "Evo Moment 37 One of the Most Famous Moments in Competitive Gaming History" by Glenn Cravens

If you want a match to compare to the one I showed here's one. Unfortunately 3rd Strike is tier whoring mostly so good luck finding epic Sean vs Chun Li to compare, but this one shows the true potential.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
3rd Strike is the best 1v1 fighter ever made, 15 years and counting. There is no further argument.

Also, can't tell if trolling... but... to set the record straight:
Claw = Vega (Balrog in Japan)
Boxer = Balrog (Bison in Japan)
Dictator = Bison (Vega in Japan)

The claw/boxer/dictator names just came up as a way to keep characters straight between Japan/US.

If third strike is so good, why u rocking garou mark of wolves avatar.

Case in point jajajaja

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The reason Third Strike is considered to be better is the parry system. In SFIII, the parrying system requires you to push forward on the joystick as you parry. So it's more challenging to do than the "Just Defend" in Garou. It also gives you more benefits in terms of being able to counterattack any special attack/super art (which I'm not is the case with Garou). So it's more of a risk/reward thing. it's probably the better system overall, for high level play. But the Garou parry is easier to pull off, so you don't have to have two experts playing against each other.

Parrying in 3s is easier than JDing in MOTW. In fact the allotted time to parry in 3s is a bit more than the time for JDing in MOTW and I've never seen a chained JD one after the other.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ You know once I got the hang of a multi hit JD it screws me up for multi hit parries because it's twice as slow as a JD. Sometimes I feel stupid struggling on parring stuff like Akuma's red fireball.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
JD gives you a bit of health back. So even if you're knocked out of TOP you still can claw your way back in if the other guy just spam the same crap on you.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Parrying in 3s is easier than JDing in MOTW. In fact the allotted time to parry in 3s is a bit more than the time for JDing in MOTW and I've never seen a chained JD one after the other.

Soooooo much bullshit right here! JDing is safe no matter what, because you will be holding back for JDing or block. Win-win situation in my book. Parry requires a minimum of 50% or less of risk of execution.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There's a lot of throw tech/parry option select BS in Third Strike too.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Yes, I know both are just cartoon games that don't take themselves all that seriously, but still... SF feels like it was made with twelve year old boys mostly in mind. Whereas in Sam Sho, you get to cut people bloodily in half, without it feeling like a lame MK fatality. SS all the way on style, from characters, to backgrounds, to music, it was fresh, inventive and badass.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Yes, I know both are just cartoon games that don't take themselves all that seriously, but still... SF feels like it was made with twelve year old boys mostly in mind. Whereas in Sam Sho, you get to cut people bloodily in half, without it feeling like a lame MK fatality. SS all the way on style, from characters, to backgrounds, to music, it was fresh, inventive and badass.

Yeah but gameplay > then everything you listed.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Soooooo much bullshit right here! JDing is safe no matter what, because you will be holding back for JDing or block. Win-win situation in my book. Parry requires a minimum of 50% or less of risk of execution.
JD is not safe if you miss on the high side of it. Multi hit JD is not safe on the low side because if you miss you will get hit going to neutral to set up for the next hit and 1 frame doesn't give you enough time to decide what to do mid frame. JD is not safe in the air cause of no air blocking.

Multi Parry can be turned into a block at any time cause of the delay between parries. Heck people throw supers between them. Multi hit air parries are way easier cause the speed is slower then an Multi Hit JD cause 1 frame vs multi frames in between. Soooo...... no.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Great argument.

Your sarcasm belays your autistic lack of self awareness. The thread is about SF2 vs SS. Throwing in SFIII3rd is about as sensical as me then one upping you with tying you down naked in the woods and covering your privates with honey.

Obviously better than SFIII3rd, which hasn't been fun in a decade.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
How do you know Third Strike is someone's favorite game? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
How do you know Third Strike is someone's favorite game? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
Third Strike is the best SFIII game. But New Generation and 2nd Impact have backgrounds that aren't in Third Strike, and 2nd Impact has a playable Shin Akuma (at least on the Dreamcast version).

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
But New Generation and Double have backgrounds that aren't in Third Strike.

It's 2nd Impact.

Double Impact was the name for the DC version as it had both NG and 2I in it.