What's the most impressive game to show people who are new to the Neo?

pmindemann

New Challenger
I have lots of fond memories of the Neo Geo from my youth. But many of today's gamers have no knowledge of the Neo. What do you guys recommend as a good "show off" game to demonstrate to these folks what the Neo can do, and what it's all about?

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
As far as graphics, sound, and play mechanics, you can't go wrong with either Garou: Mark Of The Wolves or Metal Slug 3 for the SNK Neo•Geo MVS. :cool:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'd say Real Bout Special. Top notch presentation, great sound, the announcer is cool, and it's really easy to get into.

Last Blades and Garou are also great, but they're not as pick up and play.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You gotta go with gameplay. Compared to current gen stuff, nothing graphical is going to impress.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I would have to pick Samurai Showdown 2. The fighting mechanics and the fast gameplay make each battle epic. And with the referee starting the match in Japanese, it makes it even better.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
None of them.

If they don't know what it is by now they will probably just think it is a pile of old shit.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
You gotta go with gameplay. Compared to current gen stuff, nothing graphical is going to impress.

This. I usually show Metal Slug 3 or X to people who are new to the NeoGeo. I've found even though they cannot compete with current-gen graphics, peoplefind them appealing because of the fast gameplay and fun action.

Regards.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Today's gamers will show no interest to a 24-bit console.
It's like trying to convince them to use a walkman instead of an ipod.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
More often than not, Metal Slug 1-3 usually snags people pretty quickly.

Samurai Shodown is so very different compared to modern fighters so it's tough to identify with. Garou is a good call, but it's pretty tough for people not familiar with the SNK fighting game style. Casual game players picking up a fighter want everything to be Street Fighter, and when it's not, they just stop playing it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This. I usually show Metal Slug 3 or X to people who are new to the NeoGeo. I've found even though they cannot compete with current-gen graphics, peoplefind them appealing because of the fast gameplay and fun action.

Regards.
The Metal Slug games are the ones you'd show people, to show that 2D, low res games can be better than 3D or high res games, if the gameplay is good.
As far as the games with the best graphics to show it off, it would be the Last Blades, Garou, AOF3 and the NGDEVTEAM games like Fast Striker. Or any fighter with large sprites, on a big RGB screen (29"+), like a PVM.

It's like trying to convince them to use a walkman instead of an ipod
Vinyl records are still better than using an ipod (if you use the right equipment- turntable, speakers, etc), even though the technology is much older. Nobody uses Walkmans these days, the sound quality is crap, as analogue tapes degrade over time. And mainstream portable headphones like the Apple earbuds are crap too.

Last edited:

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Vinyl records are still better for YOU ...not for a kid that has only known mp3s...

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Either Mark of the Wolves to show them what REAL animation used to look like, or King of Fighters '95 to show them what good art is. Good luck finding a modern 2D or 3D game today with background art that even touches '95. Hell, you could pick almost any Neo fighter to prove either of these two points. You know, not to mention the games have gameplay that match or eclipse any recent game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It's like trying to convince them to use a walkman instead of an ipod.

Not true for everyone, it all depends on the person. I showed slug games to a cousin who is like 15-17 years younger than me (he grew up playing the 360 and maybe some original xbox) and he liked them immediately. He even asks me to play them when he comes to my home. The Neo games are so different from the games he is used to play that he does not care that they were already old when he was born, he only cares that they are fun to play.

Regards.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Either people get "it" or they don't.

Viewing the most advanced example of graphical prowess on a Neo Geo game is still going to produce a "LOL looks like Super Nintendo" reaction from most people.

pmindemann

New Challenger
None of them.

If they don't know what it is by now they will probably just think it is a pile of old shit.

I'm sure that's true for some people, but I work in an office of mostly early 20 year olds, and have been surprised to see the games they enjoy playing on a MAME cabinet I built a few years ago. With no prompting from me, I've seen them playing Bust-A-Move, Metal Slug, and occasionally the fighting games.

Also, when I told people last week that I had just picked-up a Neo Geo arcade cabinet, none of them knew what it was, but all of them were interested and thought it was very cool. Now, sure, it's not like they're suddenly going to go looking for an AES and start collecting carts, but none of them seemed to thinking it was silly or outdated or anything, either.

pmindemann

New Challenger
Vinyl records are still better than using an ipod (if you use the right equipment- turntable, speakers, etc), even though the technology is much older. Nobody uses Walkmans these days, the sound quality is crap, as analogue tapes degrade over time. And mainstream portable headphones like the Apple earbuds are crap too.

I'm with you there... I'm a card-carrying audio nut with a turntable, tube amp, etc. I'm fine streaming music in my car from my iPhone over Bluetooth, but you can't beat vinyl if you really want to sit down and feel the "soul" of the music. I kind of think it's that way with most Neo games... modern games are enjoyable, but kind of "plasticky" and mass-produced in a sense (as are films, but that's a whole other thing). But you get a Neo game like Metal Slug, and you can just tell it was a labor of love from a small handful of people.

pmindemann

New Challenger
I'd say Real Bout Special. Top notch presentation, great sound, the announcer is cool, and it's really easy to get into.

Last Blades and Garou are also great, but they're not as pick up and play.

Good points, both... FF Special will probably appeal to those familiar with Street Fighter, looks good and is easy enough to get into. I agree about the Last Blade series, but wouldn't want to turn off non-hardcore folks that wouldn't be able to get into it as easily.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
A lot of jaded old men in this thread. Does ignoring the fact that retro games and indie devs are big right now give you a sensation down there? Joking aside, I agree it’s going to be hard to win someone over with a fighting game. Neo shmups? Please.
Gameplay (versus and co-op) is the only way, from my limited experience it was the classics that kept my non-gamer friends in high school keep pumping their quarters into the bid red at the pizza shop: Neo Turf Masters, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
there's all kinds of gamers these days. Not everyone's playing Destiny, lots of people really focus on smaller indie games. Many of which are low res and retro styled to boot.

To this day Metal Slug stands up as one of the greatest games ever made, so lots of newer gamers would still appreciate it.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Last blade 2 or if you really want to show it off, Fast Striker.