Why are neo geo games not rated?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
This just occured to me... that I never thought that neo geo games are not rated. I`m talking about the aes. The esrb never rated these games which I find odd...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The Neo was released in the US in 1991 while the ESRB was not founded until 1994. That accounts for at least the earliest games, however I heard a long time ago you needed a certain print run of games back then that the AES never achieved.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The first home game I remember that had an warning was MK II or maybe Night Trap. And it was not even ESRB it was the companies themselves that originally posted warnings in light of watchdog and media groups breathing down their necks.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The ratings are voluntary.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
ESRB only governs who the games can be sold to. Arcade/gambling machines where the user does not pay to buy the product simply doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. The homecarts sort of fall into the grey area.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Neo Geo Pocket games were definitely rated. I never really thought about whether AES or Neo CD games were rated (obviously MVS games wouldn't be) but it appears they weren't.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
There's only one rating method for Neo games that is official, and that's VGA ratings.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Kids couldn't afford the homecarts anyway, so there was no need for ratings :P

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
Did they even sell AES/NGCD games in normal retail stores? Since ESRB is optional and most companies only bother with it so that they can get their games sold at Wal-Mart and the like, I'm assuming that's why.

I've never seen an AES in the wild back in the day aside from a local video rental place which had the system up for rent... after you put down a couple hundred down for security deposit.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Did they even sell AES/NGCD games in normal retail stores? Since ESRB is optional and most companies only bother with it so that they can get their games sold at Wal-Mart and the like, I'm assuming that's why.

I've never seen an AES in the wild back in the day aside from a local video rental place which had the system up for rent... after you put down a couple hundred down for security deposit.

Software stores did. Babbage's, Electronics Boutique, etc.

zoogelio

n00b
If I remember correctly, for a time (like 1991-95), Neo Geo was sold at some retail outlets- Babbages & Electronics Boutique definately, I think Software Etc., some other company only out on the West Coast I forget the name of, and I think a few other chains. Obviously sales weren't what they hoped and Neo Geo AES games were harder to find in 94-95 than 91-92 for example. The arrival of the PS1, Saturn, N64 led to a lot of the 'other' consoles (Jaguar, 3DO, CD-i, Neo Geo) getting pushed off the shelves. The last reports of a lot of these in the wild is late 95 thru Spring 1996.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If I remember correctly, for a time (like 1991-95), Neo Geo was sold at some retail outlets- Babbages & Electronics Boutique definately, I think Software Etc., some other company only out on the West Coast I forget the name of, and I think a few other chains. Obviously sales weren't what they hoped and Neo Geo AES games were harder to find in 94-95 than 91-92 for example. The arrival of the PS1, Saturn, N64 led to a lot of the 'other' consoles (Jaguar, 3DO, CD-i, Neo Geo) getting pushed off the shelves. The last reports of a lot of these in the wild is late 95 thru Spring 1996.

So by the time playmore reformed, only the neo store and very few stores sold them, I guess.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
arent Neo Geo games region free anyways? Maybe all US/Euro release where just counted as Japanese imports with English labels

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Who was the retard that made the decision to censor the game in western markets? Was this ever asked and answered in an interview? Blows my mind these games cost hundreds of dollars, clearly catered to the adult gamer market, and yet they were still censored.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Who was the retard that made the decision to censor the game in western markets? Was this ever asked and answered in an interview? Blows my mind these games cost hundreds of dollars, clearly catered to the adult gamer market, and yet they were still censored.

The mvs games were censored for a reason, so I guess nobody bothered to "un censor" these games when it got to the aes release.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Well around 1992-1994 were the 'hot years' of the whole violence in videogames debate, so I guess SNK wanted to avoid that drama. I'm pretty sure that some parents tried to sue Nintendo and Sega over this too until the rating system started.

Let's not forget that SNK censored SS5 when it came out too in Japan..