Aesthetically Displeased - Shitty looking / feeling consoles.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
What's your picks for ugly / shitty consoles - I'm trying to keep in mind the era when it was released, because it's rather unfair to judge the console's aesthetics by current trends.

Of course, this shit is going to be subjective, and don't take my opinion as anything more than verbal diarrhea. As much as I like design, I'm not an industrial designer.

Wii - It really has no style - Usually I give more credit for simplicity - clean, minimal design usually stands up to the test of time, but the design was more lazy than minimal. From any angle except the "Hero" box-shot angle - it just looks like a bastardized external hard drive enclosure. I think the LED glow bar saved the Wii's ass from more ridicule, because in 2006 a glowing LED strip was still pretty rad. Worth mentioning is the flimsy plastic door, junky feeling 50ga.wired sensor bar, and shitty plastic stand. I'd bitch about the WiiU but Nintendo really stepped it up this time and....rounded the sides.

NeoCD - Top Loader - Love this console to death, and I do like the way it looks - it just looks unfinished. It also has the hollow plastic effect, lots of air space thanks to the big ass CD mech and stand. To me, it looks like the NeoCD ABS design was finished in the back, but they had to hit a deadline and stopped working on the front. I think a couple well-placed lines would have made this thing look soo much better. The back end of the system has the cool wave sides, and the vents, then you come around to the front there's just the smooth dip in the center. I think if they would have added some lines (like they did with the AES), it would have saved it from looking unfinished. Also reference the SuperFami - the lines really make that fucker pop, take those lines away and it definitely makes it look a bit cheaper.

Absolute top of my list is the Gen2 Sega CD because they feel like pieces of shit - light, flimsy, a hollow experience. Hearing that hollow CD door pop only reinforces this. You could debate it doesn't look bad for the era, sure it looks OK, but once you pick it up, it ruins it.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Jaguar w/Jaguar CD... a.k.a. - the toilet.

Atari_Jaguar-CD-150x118.jpg

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
You highlighted a big one with the model 2 Sega CD. Other ugly consoles:

Nintendo 64 (original opaque version)
Xbox (original design)

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
You can't get much worse than the SuperGrafx:

nec-supergrafx.jpg

Here's another, RCA Studio II:

rca_studio2_2small.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
PS2
Jaguar
The PS3 that looks like an amp
Wii
Wii U
US SNES
TurboGrafx

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
The original Xbox 360 design. The thing looks more like a CPU tower than an actual console. At least the original Xbox design looks pretty cool though.

I also don't like the look of the Tg-16. Too much unnecessary bulk.

Another console that I don't like looking at is the original PSX. It's not terrible, but it looks very bland & boring.

Last edited:

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Magnavox Odyssey 2 was horrible.

Magnavox-Odyssey-2-Console-Set.png

I never liked the Playstation 3's super glossy piano finish. The Slim and Super Slim are decent looking.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
You can't get much worse than the SuperGrafx:

View attachment 7302

HAHAHA DUDE!! As soon as I submitted this thread I thought about the Terminator rib cage!!! Nothing says cheap-shit like molded plastic bolts, even for that era. It's like they found some scrapped molds for a laser tag chest plate and said fuck it, let's throw a console in that.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
The original Xbox 360 design. The thing looks more like a CPU tower than an actual console. At least the original Xbox design looks pretty cool though.

I also don't like the look of the Tg-16. Too much unnecessary bulk.

Another console that I don't like looking at is the original PSX. It's not terrible, but it looks very bland & boring.

I thought the PSX was alright when it came out, considering the previous console designs, but I see your point.

I couldn't agree with you more on the original 360 - It reminds me of the early/mid-2000's era compact Dells with the rounded fronts - people would sit their 4:3 LCD's on top of them.

I don't mind the redesigned 360 S's, but that faux-chrome plastic shit on the ends isn't going to age well.

Jaguar w/Jaguar CD... a.k.a. - the toilet.

Atari_Jaguar-CD-150x118.jpg

From what I've heard/read about the JagCD failure rates, you might as well just flip the top and shit in them.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
HAHAHA DUDE!! As soon as I submitted this thread I thought about the Terminator rib cage!!! Nothing says cheap-shit like molded plastic bolts, even for that era. It's like they found some scrapped molds for a laser tag chest plate and said fuck it, let's throw a console in that.

pc2.JPG
pc3.JPG

Believe it or not those cheapass bolts were supposed to serve a purpose, unfortunately the cheesy add-ons never came to be.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
pan-3do.jpg

Something about it I just don't like...

as if it was designed to have another one just like it stacked on top of it. Like maybey they were thinking ahead when they designed it knowing it would be filling up the shelves at thirft stores and pawn shops.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
boxoflies.jpg

As for me it has to be the original black/purple Yobo Famiclones. The buttons on the controllers had a cheap, plasticky feel.. like mini-blister packs. Both of the controllers that came with mine died in my hands after a couple weeks of use.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I have to agree that I wasn;t crazy about the Wii design...but at least it looked somewhat interesting when placed on that angled base...

...and then Nintendo came out with a more ho-hum version of it when they released the Wii U. Totally uninspired.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
famicom.jpg

When I saw the SNES you folks in the US got, losing every event at the Olympics and waiting up to a year for American films to be released in the UK suddenly all seemed worth it.

Even the carts are hideous.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

+1

Still love that control pad though.

Thinking about it most of the last minute reruns of consoles to eke out sales were pretty bad - master system 2, megadrive 2, playstation one miniature thing was shitty, list goes on. Notable exceptions are on handhelds - they are usually made slicker with better battery life and screens on upgrades. I always wished there was a PC engine GT 2 released.

Last edited:

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
View attachment 7308

When I saw the SNES you folks in the US got, losing every event at the Olympics and waiting up to a year for American films to be released in the UK suddenly all seemed worth it.

Even the carts are hideous.

I know! Loved the colourful buttons on the controller and that rounded shape we got.
Nintendo should have gone with their concepts: Super_NES_designs.png

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Master System 2

I have a viet-bro who had a MS2 - The only thing I remember is his lid was squeaky, but I've never held it so I can comment on how it feels. I thought it was cool though, came with a built-in game, Peter-Puffer Boy Adventure.

It makes sense that he had this though, he had a penchant for shitty hardware. He was also the proud owner of the Power Glove and U-Force on teh NES.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The PS3 that looks like an amp
Wii U
US SNES
TurboGrafx
Agree with those I've *edited* above.

I think the original Wii looks much nicer than the newer, rounded version, complete with a shitty, obvious red button on the front. Genius.

Personally I've never liked the look of:

Multi-Mega (looks like a first generation discman before they realised you didn't need to use 12 'D' size batteries with it)
Master System II (Not horrific, but always preferred the look of the original)
NeoGeo CD Front Loader (people often cite how 'great' it looks. Really?)
PS1 & PS2 slimline (just look like cheap shit, along with the PS3 mk3/slimline)
Goldstar 3DO (looks like a 90's VCR player)

Also, I think the 3DO FZ-1 is a great looking console vs the comments above...

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
+1

Still love that control pad though.

Thinking about it most of the last minute reruns of consoles to eke out sales were pretty bad - master system 2, megadrive 2, playstation one miniature thing was shitty, list goes on. Notable exceptions are on handhelds - they are usually made slicker with better battery life and screens on upgrades. I always wished there was a PC engine GT 2 released.

You're right about the Mega Drive 2 the design was hideous and the headphone socket was missing. Sega, what we're you thinking at the time?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I love this system like a mother loves an ugly baby but...

Atari 2600
v3hliw.jpg

Wood paneling... The thing looks like Skyler's station wagon now. Did not age well (and I wonder if it ever looked cool back in it's day)

Also going to agree on the US SNES. Especially when you compare it to what the Super Famicom looks like, it just looks even worse.