Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I like to play video games.

I doubt it. While you're worried about aspect ratio, I'm playing the games, and loving it. I grew up playing half-assed ports on systems that could barely handle the games. To this day, even when I'm playing an emulator, I still get excited that I'm playing the actual arcade title, and not some half-assed port. The music is there, the animation is there. Everything is perfect, and the screen is slightly stretched to fit widescreen....are you really going to complain about that? Is that what keeps you from having fun with a game? They will probably have a 4:3 option to satiate people like you who will be happy it's there, but won't even bother to play it, anyway.

lordnikon

Another Striker
I doubt it. While you're worried about aspect ratio, I'm playing the games, and loving it. I grew up playing half-assed ports on systems that could barely handle the games. To this day, even when I'm playing an emulator, I still get excited that I'm playing the actual arcade title, and not some half-assed port. The music is there, the animation is there. Everything is perfect, and the screen is slightly stretched to fit widescreen....are you really going to complain about that? Is that what keeps you from having fun with a game? They will probably have a 4:3 option to satiate people like you who will be happy it's there, but won't even bother to play it, anyway.
Yes Soilwork, I am going to complain. Half-assed emulation is just as bad as a half-assed port, especially if the user is forcing the emulation experience to be half-assed. Among all of the technical factors pertaining to arcade accuracy (such as hz, signal quality, scanlines, input/display lag), the easiest to control is the aspect ratio. NeoGeo games in 16:9 are not as you say "perfect". You are intentionally opting for a less than perfect experience, and this is why people who force NeoGeo games into 16:9 are idiots.

Its like heating up your beer in the microwave instead of putting it in the fridge, or challenging someone in a wheelchair to a breakdancing contest.

*powers up NeoGeo on an SDTV to play some Matrimelee*

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
lol, you're going to complain, and then play a garbage game like Matrimelee. Yeah, you like games :rolleyes: Your half-assed analogies must be on purpose.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Is matrimelee a garbage? I thought it was a good game.

Matirmelee is a decent game although not the best in the series. It would be my second or third favorite in the power instinct series. Power Instinct 2 on the arcade being my favorite.

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
For those that are misunderstanding what this is, at least it is something stamped with SNKP's seal of approval.

Why do people keep thinking SNKP is making any statement regarding the quality of this unit. Neo Geo is plastered on the system simply because the manufacturer ponied up enough money to license the name. Same thing that was done with those crappy Sega Genesis/Mega Drive clones.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Why do people keep thinking SNKP is making any statement regarding the quality of this unit. Neo Geo is plastered on the system simply because the manufacturer ponied up enough money to license the name. Same thing that was done with those crappy Sega Genesis/Mega Drive clones.

Who's saying anything about quality. I am saying SNKP has approved the creation and release. PERIOD.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Are there people here who actually prefer to play Neo-Geo games on 16:9? That's just plain out-silly. It's one thing to say you will settle for 16:9, but don't go acting like there's nothing wrong with playing Neo-Geo games in an aspect ratio they weren't designed for. Furthermore, don't try to convince people who know better that there's nothing wrong with playing them in widescreen.

In all honestly the 16:9 screen is the one thing that makes me not want to bother with this thing. I'd rather not just blindly support anything SNK-P puts out, especially something that will directly affect my capacity to enjoy the way the games appear.

Also, who knows how well the unit will output HDMI? For all we know it could be a blotchy, fuzzy and blocky mess.

Last edited:

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Agreed.

This piece of crap is a travesty, foisted on a community all too sadly susceptible to such travesties.

Are there people here who actually prefer to play Neo-Geo games on 16:9? That's just plain out-silly. It's one thing to say you will settle for 16:9, but don't go acting like there's nothing wrong with playing Neo-Geo games in an aspect ratio they weren't designed for. Furthermore, don't try to convince people who know better that there's nothing wrong with playing them in widescreen.

In all honestly the 16:9 screen is the one thing that makes me not want to bother with this thing. I'd rather not just blindly support anything SNK-P puts out, especially something that will directly affect my capacity to enjoy the way the games appear.

Also, who knows how well the unit will output HDMI? For all we know it could be a blotchy, fuzzy and blocky mess.

AlecRob

Banned
Why don't you people wait until its released to say whether it sucks or not? Some of you guys are just being plain snobbish!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
By the time it's released, it'd be too late to bitch about it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Late to the party. What's the deal with this clone system? Does it play mvs/aes carts or is just a emulator with games built in?

*Edit* Never mind. It's pretty much a home cart system. I wonder what the video output is going to be?

Last edited:

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
Late to the party. What's the deal with this clone system? Does it play mvs/aes carts or is just a emulator with games built in?

*Edit* Never mind. It's pretty much a home cart system. I wonder what the video output is going to be?

me too. hdmi output is nice , but if you want to play on a good old cathodic screen , system need at least rgb scart out, not a crapp composite one with mono sound like the megadrive clones...

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy

No, it's not a home cart system. It's a handheld emulator, with a docking station (shaped like a home console) which provides TV output capabilities.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
whats up with the controller? i cant see very well in the pictures, but does that have inputs like on the AES?

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

The 16:9 screen is a weird choice... i see "L and R" buttons too... maybe they are planning to use it for other games too?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Anyone getting the Neo Geo X system this Dec ?

apparently, it's coming out worldwide this dec. 6th for $199.99

source

AlecRob

Banned
The 16:9 screen is a weird choice... i see "L and R" buttons too... maybe they are planning to use it for other games too?

I really hope SNK gets their feet back on the ground and starts making original games again. Maybe they will for this new handheld!