Bare Knuckle 3 > Streets of Rage 2 // edit: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SoR1

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Bare Knuckle 3 > Streets of Rage 2 // edit: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SoR1

Preface; Streets of Rage 3 was localized terribly. Changing colours for the worse, removing graphics, disregarding the story, using a shitty box art etc. Just a lazy job all around. So, for that reason, SoR3 is dead to me and Bare Knuckle 3 is where it's at.

Okay, I know this might be blasphemy, but as good as SoR2 is for a beatumup, it's just not as good as it's sequel. Bare Knuckle 3 introduced gameplay that I just can't live without. Running, rolling and a supermove metre just make it so much more enjoyable for me.

Not only that, but it also has a couple interesting scene where they try to mix the gameplay up. For instance, the bulldozer scene. Wind is used as well. Don't forget the interactive backgrounds either. Moving rail carts and the reintroduction of pits are great.

Ash: Ash is awesome. Best. Boss. Ever.

Music: Never really liked the music in SoR2..as much as others seemed to. It's good, though. Great for MD. And yes, the music in BK3 falls short, but it's not as awful as some people say. There are some pretty awesome tracks, like the character select screen and story demo music. It's different,,,and yes, maybe the MD really couldn't pull off what they were trying to do, but a lot of it is still pretty cool.

Graphics - BK3 wins hands down. The main character sprites are MUCH better than 2 and the backgrounds are, IMO, cooler.

I'd go on, but this is already pushing it in terms of how much time I want to put into this blasphemy.

What do you guys think?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
What do you guys think?

I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP SMOKING CRACK!

Damn you, Bare Knuckle 2 is king of the wolf pack! Yes, a lot of the reasons you stated are fact. I DID like how Blaze "looked" in BK3, but her fighting pose/stance sucked. There was a fucking Kangaroo in Part III! A Goddamned Kangaroo. And I had thought replacing Adam for Sammy (Skate) was stupid. There are a few tracks that are good... but the OST for BK2 and BK1 combined or by themselves were much better. The colors needed to stay the same in the US versions but of course we got "off colors" in the character outfits. Blaze wearing fucking Grey! Are you kidding me! And it tried to hard to be too many things (BK 3). I never have a problem with multiple paths, but story type deals outside of what Downtown Nekketsu Story (River City Ransom) did... just doesn't work. I wanted more action, and quite frankly, had I known that Part 3 was going to be the official end of the series (I just assumed it have gone up to at least Part 6 at the time it was released), then I'd have expected a Bare Knuckles 2 meets Double Dragon Advance meets P.O.W. with equal parts RAMBO set to Lords of Acid somehow crammed into a Mega Drive cart, along with Koshiro's usual genius.

Instead we got BK3.

:oh_no:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I agree with you for the first paragraph.... It WAS localized terribly, and the colors were shitty as hell. Much better in BK3 than SOR3. There's even some pretty damn good music in it, in spots and the characters they took out were missed for sure. But, that's about it. SOR2 is just amazing. I thought the special moves and extras they put in BK3/SOR3 were retarded. Also don't like the character graphics as much. They tried to get too realistic looking, in my opinion.

I think, if you have to play the third, NEVER play SOR3. BK3 is where it's at between the two, but that's it.

EDIT: I remember waiting for this to come out over here, and when it finally did, I was excited as hell. Had the money ready to go, went into the store, asked to play it... and I did so for about three minutes. I put down the controller, and sadly walked out of the stupid store. I was really let down by this game. But, again, the JPN version is much better. Still not great, but much much better.

Last edited:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
SoR3 was a big disappointment. But SoR2 is still better than BK3 for me. SoR2 just had the perfect atmosphere. The music fit so well, upbeat and relaxed at the same time.

I also liked SoR1 a lot too though. Calling the police car was cheesy, but fun. Too bad you couldn't do it in SoR2.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. BK3 is probably my fav beat em up ever. The only other one that comes close is river city ransom. One thing the OP didn't mention was the inclusion of 6 button controls. I think it helps the whle game play better as well.

Matt

Rade K

20 Year Member
I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. BK3 is probably my fav beat em up ever. The only other one that comes close is river city ransom. One thing the OP didn't mention was the inclusion of 6 button controls. I think it helps the whle game play better as well.

Matt

Oh, shit. And don't forget leveling up, which makes your super moves all the more awesome.

The game's just more fun and varried.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
On music alone, BK II > BK III all day long.
Having more gameplay wrinkles doesn't necessarily make for a better game either.
BKII just hit that perfect stride, with really good collisions and nice big sprites. A beat-em up doesn't really need all that other shit that came into vogue thanks to the 1-on-1 fighting craze of the time. BK III tried to do a lot of those same things, and in my opinion, just sort of overdid it.

If you're diggin' it though, rock on.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
BKIII is superior to SoR3, yes, but SoR2/BKII is the better game for me. The institution of not being able to throw fatties (even with Dr. Zan) pissed me off to no end. I want to be able to suplex them, damn it! :mad:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
The whole idea that Bare Knuckle 2 can even be dethroned is simply absurd. It was "perfect" in 1992, and it's perfect in 2009. It'll be perfect in 2147 when Lord Dred, Zoron and Blaster enslave Earth and only Captain Power and the soldiers of the future (along with kids in 1987 who had the XT-7 Power Jet) fight mankind back to freedom.

:annoyed:

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
I agree that BK3 had its ups and downs. The multiple plot lines made it a little fuzzy, but I like them for nothing more than it throws a little something new into the series.

On a side note, Roo is an absolutely badass character. I also like to use Skate from time to time because of his speed.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
On a side note, Roo is an absolutely badass character. I also like to use Skate from time to time because of his speed.

THE FUCK YOU SAY?

You're playing a Goddamned Kangroo in a "Roving Brawler" (BEU) game for Pete's sake! Same dumb shit popped up in TEKKEN years later. Shit like that just made zero sense. Skate was alright, but still a character (along with Max in #2) that shouldn't have been in the fight roster, instead giving us characters that would fit such a title, and have some bad ass moves. But whatever.
:rolleyes:

Rade K

20 Year Member
I can feel Merc's hatred for BK3 for thousands of kms.

Merc, did BK3 fuck your ass or something. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

As far as BEU's go, Bk3 is one of the best of all time, IMO.

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member

Merc, did BK3 fuck your ass or something. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Yep.

And by the way, Roo is an obvious joke character. Not every BEU has to be balls-to-the-wall serious; the game doesn't suffer from making a hidden character one that people can't take seriously.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member

#1> I don't HATE the game, I have always felt that it could have been Phenomenonal instead of merely "cool" which is what it was... "cool" How some of you are going on that it's AWESOME is beyond me, but hey, to each their own as well.

#2> Had it fucked my ass (the game) I might have had a sense of satisfaction since the game itself left me feeling like I'd been cheated anyhow. At least being violated would've shown some grit.

#3> I can think of a number of BEUs that knock the fuck outta' Bare Knuckle 3, starting with Bare Knuckle AND Bare Knuckle 2. ***Final Fight, Double Dragon Advance, Crime Fighters 2: VENDETTA, P.O.W. ~Prisoners of War~ both Arcade & Famicom/NES versions.

Yep.

And by the way, Roo is an obvious joke character. Not every BEU has to be balls-to-the-wall serious; the game doesn't suffer from making a hidden character one that people can't take seriously.

#1> I got that he was a joke character. A joke that didn't need to be in there.

#2> BEU games "should" be kept serious in tone. Who the hell ever heard of a comedy fighting game? If I wanted laughs with martial arts I'd rent a Jackie Chan film. I don't mind a bit of slapstick in a game (RCR), but when taking on criminal empires, enemy armies who've taken you Prisoner of War, or you just going wild in the streets... it should be kept, serious... bloody... and overall HARDCORE with a repertoire of moves worth pulling off AND HAVE A BITCHIN' SOUNDTRACK!

#3> I apologize if I offend, as we're all entitled to our opinions, and I myself like games that most wouldn't. ***For the record, I also hated the stupid clunker Robots in Bare Knuckle 2, and the guy with the Jet Pack. It's like: Goddamn! Keep this shit in reality! If I wanted a Sci-Fi beat 'em up, I would've bought one, I bought a modern day (then) roving brawler so WTF is this shit!?

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I always wanted to try BK3, but until then, SOR2 still stands on the mountaintop despite no running, rolling, or charged special/super moves.

Rade K

20 Year Member
SoR1>BK3?

Nice try. If you want people to take your opinions seriously, you just can't go around saying things like that.

SoR1 was a great game in it's day. A great surrogate for Final Fight on the MD, but today it feels dated. It's got great tunes and good gameplay, but Sor2 and 3 overshadow it in every meaningful regard.

I still pop the game in once in a while for nostalgia's sake, but get bored quickly.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I get bored with SOR2 by the time I get to the level starting at the beach.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Some people claim sor1 is better, but I never EVER understood that. I tried getting into SOR1 back about 10 years ago, and still couldn't get into it... never mind today, where it must really suck balls even more.