neo geo aes CRAZY prices?

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Wow! You take serious to a whole new level.

How long did it take you to type all that.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wow! You take serious to a whole new level.

How long did it take you to type all that.

shut up.

Hey, Fakk22, I think this is awesome.

Very few understand what it means to have true video game passion. They're just depressed because they can't understand.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
That is just the thing though, I am not interested in waiting for my generation of gamers to die, just for a price drop on these games, as quite surely by that time, I will have also died. So the point of the prices dropping one day are pointless for today's gamers.

Also, about that comment on "Digital Software", I honestly think it is a matter of time people pull their heads out of the sand on that one, as most gamers like to own physical copies of their games. Not just for hoarding, but, also for trading in for other games with their friends. They like to see it on the shelf with their other games, they like to know that if they so wish to walk to a buddies house and play that game they bough on someone elses console, they can do so. Everything about digital distribution is a complete and utter fraud. There are a LOT of people that think it is okay to buy, and download digitally distributed music, however, I think the rise in pirates downloading this shit for free is a direct result of digital distribution ever even coming out, and showing it face to the general public.

One day there will be a time when people look back at this era, and they will wonder why we ever tried this digital distribution nonsense anyway, as even scientists are saying there might be a blackout period of time, where a few decades of content will one day be lost forever, due to the way electronics work, break, digital media gets wiped out easily, and the way we are no longer forcing companies to make things on physical media. But, I suppose that's a different subject entirely. The point I am making here, is that just because there are fools now that find it much easier to download a game on PS4, doesn't mean it's the wave of the future, and it's no reason to abandon physical media, nor will the value of physical media fall in value due to digital distribution. I believe if anything, physical media value will rise because of it one day.

Don't get me wrong I like owning physical things for what I spend my money on I agree with you on that. But even as big and public as game collecting has become its still a small portion of those that spend money on the purchase of games kids, parents,grandparents. A large portion of the market is casual gamers compared to those that join forums or repair their own consoles.

And this generation of executives is unfortunalty the ones running the show. There was a time not long ago at all when we complained about not getting manuals with games and guess what? They never gave them back. The majority of titles are released with no manual or scrap of paper, its all due to cost on their end and if they decide the game industry is digital then it is Sony and MS will not look back they aren't pure game companies and want profits to increase more. Hell we say we want Mega man and Castlevania ... They fire the creators or drive them away. They don't care what you or I "want".

Look at the publishing industry ask anyone at Penguin or scholastic books they are down 40 percent staff in last 6 years and everyones doing 3 peoples jobs. Thats next for Medias including games. I hope I'm wrong. hell I hope Nintendo makes cartridges as big as dictionaries that smell like AES gold.
Steady the course Fakk2.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Welp, my advice for anyone trying to get into the scene is whatever flavor you pick, MVS, AES, CD, you better get in now. Prices were crazy back in the day and they are more crazy now. You will also have to be resigned to the fact that all the games you want may take years to get or even never at all. Unless you are 8Man, Brandi or one of the OG collectors since launch day, it is impossible to have a complete collection. So forget trying to be a completist. Get the games you love. If you have to mix and match MVS/AES, great! If you have to wait a few years or save up for that rare cart, it's all part of the hunt. It's a waste of time to criticize people who collect AES. It's like criticizing people who collect vinyl, rare books or expensive cars. People do it because they can. Bottom line.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It's a waste of time to criticize people who collect AES. It's like criticizing people who collect vinyl, rare books or expensive cars. People do it because they can. Bottom line.

I joke about AES collectors, but more power to them if that's how they want to spend their disposable income. The difference with video game collectors is I see a lot of people spending money they don't have on worthless things like video games. It's not just AES, I've seen it on other forums. Guys with literally no savings account having to sell games to pay for rent, or a child's birthday gifts. A buddy works with a guy who had to sell his PS4 to buy new tires for their family car. I know people with 7 figures worth of cars. None of them cleaned out their savings account to purchase them. I'm into watches and know many collectors. None have had to sell a watch to pay rent. It's not collecting anything that I have an issue with, it's when people who can't afford it waste money they don't have on a hobby. Going into debt over a hobby is stupid. Plain and simple. People can defend it however they want, but it's financially irresponsible.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I joke about AES collectors, but more power to them if that's how they want to spend their disposable income. The difference with video game collectors is I see a lot of people spending money they don't have on worthless things like video games. It's not just AES, I've seen it on other forums. Guys with literally no savings account having to sell games to pay for rent, or a child's birthday gifts. A buddy works with a guy who had to sell his PS4 to buy new tires for their family car. I know people with 7 figures worth of cars. None of them cleaned out their savings account to purchase them. I'm into watches and know many collectors. None have had to sell a watch to pay rent. It's not collecting anything that I have an issue with, it's when people who can't afford it waste money they don't have on a hobby. Going into debt over a hobby is stupid. Plain and simple. People can defend it however they want, but it's financially irresponsible.

Couldn't have said it better.
It's more of a "me too/tiptoeing" case scenario.

However, some people having to sell games from time to time isn't directly linked to what you said.
Sometimes it's just a matter to get a quick buck for something else that you can't miss ( if you don't have saving for that ) and then try to catch the games back later.

Many scenarios, but I agree 200% with ya.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
However, some people having to sell games from time to time isn't directly linked to what you said.
Yeah, I'm not implying anyone who ever sells a game is doing so because they need to buy a new bike for their kid or pay mortgage. The examples I gave were actual specific scenarios from another gaming forum.

And before anyone points it out I realize I said "worthless things like video games," I realize they have value. It was more in comparison to the things in life that really matter where they can be considered worthless in comparison.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza

I completely agree with this. Collecting has to be done judisciously and responsibly. Your financial responsibilities come first. I was going to elaborate more on that but then I had to get to work. LOL

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I completely agree with this. Collecting has to be done judisciously and responsibly. Your financial responsibilities come first. I was going to elaborate more on that but then I had to get to work. LOL

That's why I'm planning to sell my kidney to support my Neo hobby.....

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member

That's exactly it. It's amazing how dumb a lot of people are when it comes to finances. In this case, however, if the guy actually has two years left and can't go anywhere and his family doesn't mind pissing away the money since there's no guarantee he'll pay it back then who cares.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Going into debt over a hobby is [...] financially irresponsible.

But that's how the US system works... think about what Gekko said:

"This painting here, I bought it 10 years ago for $60,000. I could sell it today for 600. The
illusion has become real. The more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it.
Capitalism at its finest."

We'll see in this painting a video game, others see their shit, but guess what? It works today,
as it did back then in the 80's. So just let me paraphrase Tyler:

Advertising has them chasing video games and dolls. A whole generation typing in forums
they hate, just so they can buy shit they don't really need.

Sounds familiar? It should... cause we're all the same on this one.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
But that's how the US system works... think about what Gekko said:

"This painting here, I bought it 10 years ago for $60,000. I could sell it today for 600. The
illusion has become real. The more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it.
Capitalism at its finest."

We'll see in this painting a video game, others see their shit, but guess what? It works today,
as it did back then in the 80's. So just let me paraphrase Tyler:

Advertising has them chasing video games and dolls. A whole generation typing in forums

Sounds familiar? It should... cause we're all the same on this one.

One of the many reasons I left NYC was it felt everyone was chasing the money and not living life.

F.Beuller -"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Right, but what was it again, he kept telling about the GT250, the modified MG sports car?

"I must be honest here, I love driving it. It is so choice. If you have the means I highly
recommend picking one up."

In other words, being poor sucks... and we're back again on buying shit, we don't really need.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
:lolz: that is very true. I'm beginning to like you.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
shut up.

Hey, Fakk22, I think this is awesome.

Very few understand what it means to have true video game passion. They're just depressed because they can't understand.

LOL so friendly!

I understand and have a passion for video games but I don't put myself into a load of debt over it. However each to their own and if that's what he wants then so be it.

Luckily I have managed to complete my neo geo collection so I don't have to worry about buying the games anymore. Thank feck because if I was starting now I don't think it would happen. I can only see the prices going up and up because the people that own the games will hold on to them. A few years ago this forum still had a decent amount of AES games for sale but nowadays you can forget it.

All this materialistic crap is ridiculous. When I die I plan to own nothing as that way no one will have to deal with my left over shite. That includes giving away my neo geo collection.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...I don't put myself into a load of debt over it.

C'mon... Fakk2 already explained it. It is not your usual shark loan, but a family affair. That's different. On top of that, it is not solely dedicated to buy video games, but also to cover other, more important expenses you encounter during your life. We later discussed cases, where the situation is ripe for a support group and you welcome to share all of your censure there. No need to be a sorehead, really.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
There are plenty of people out there who are homeless junkies. Whatever makes you happy. You only live once.

I deal with those homeless junkies in my career field everyday. They are a burden on society and they will probably die quicker then most but if it makes them happy then so be it. I personally couldn't give a shit how these scum live their life. As long as it doesn't affect me or any good hardworking person. So people definitely shouldn't care how people spend money on videogames especially if it doesn't affect anyone.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I deal with those homeless junkies in my career field everyday. They are a burden on society ... I personally couldn't give a shit how these scum live their life.

What field exactly are we talking here about? Setting hobos on fire after dark? Is this your way to contribute to the community? Wait, your sig explains it all: the true heart of an AES collector... how bloody elitist.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
true, someone who talks down on the homeless in ge like that might not exactly be the right person for the job...