neo geo aes CRAZY prices?

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
What field exactly are we talking here about? Setting hobos on fire after dark? Is this your way to contribute to the community? Wait, your sig explains it all: the true heart of an AES collector... how bloody elitist.
Hey Oliver, what about an avatar for you ? Only this lazy flag is nothing for you. Here is my suggestions for you:
kant.jpg

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I joke about AES collectors, but more power to them if that's how they want to spend their disposable income. The difference with video game collectors is I see a lot of people spending money they don't have on worthless things like video games. It's not just AES, I've seen it on other forums. Guys with literally no savings account having to sell games to pay for rent, or a child's birthday gifts. A buddy works with a guy who had to sell his PS4 to buy new tires for their family car. I know people with 7 figures worth of cars. None of them cleaned out their savings account to purchase them. I'm into watches and know many collectors. None have had to sell a watch to pay rent. It's not collecting anything that I have an issue with, it's when people who can't afford it waste money they don't have on a hobby. Going into debt over a hobby is stupid. Plain and simple. People can defend it however they want, but it's financially irresponsible.

Best post I've read in a while.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
true, someone who talks down on the homeless in ge like that might not exactly be the right person for the job...

I am not talking down on homeless people who are down on their luck. I am talking about the junkies who are homeless because they put every penny towards drugs. There is a big difference and if you worked in my career field you would understand. One is down on their luck and can use some help. I assist those people with programs and shelters. The other is that they were kicked out because they hurt those close with them and continue to hurt society as they do whatever it takes to get a few dollars to buy drugs. I protect those innocent people they hurt. I don't know what is going on in your countries (drugs, crime, violence) but our country isn't fairing so well. Still wonder what I do? It has nothing to do with any elitist mindset. That is not why I collect AES. I collect because I can afford to enjoy something I like.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I joke about AES collectors, but more power to them if that's how they want to spend their disposable income. The difference with video game collectors is I see a lot of people spending money they don't have on worthless things like video games. It's not just AES, I've seen it on other forums. Guys with literally no savings account having to sell games to pay for rent, or a child's birthday gifts. A buddy works with a guy who had to sell his PS4 to buy new tires for their family car. I know people with 7 figures worth of cars. None of them cleaned out their savings account to purchase them. I'm into watches and know many collectors. None have had to sell a watch to pay rent. It's not collecting anything that I have an issue with, it's when people who can't afford it waste money they don't have on a hobby. Going into debt over a hobby is stupid. Plain and simple. People can defend it however they want, but it's financially irresponsible.

Totally agree. Buying something and Affording something are two totally different things.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Wait, AES collecting is a hobby? Since when??

jk, I agree with you as well madman and it's true in many other arenas too. How many of us have known that guy who spent thousands of dollars he couldn't really afford to get a top of the line computer? I've known a few musicians who have done the same with gear also.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's funny to read thread from other forum:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473414

Nice find, but it's from a.d. '12. Wonder how those snobs feel now, where every price doubled. I especially liked the last comment, after one of those guys showed off his collection all clean and tidy, wrapped up in plastic bags...

"Can I come over and play NeoGeo? I'll wash my hands real good and get the Cheeto dust off."

I looked up to see the guys rank and guess what? He's already banned ;).

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I could stab myself in the fucking throat for selling the shit I have sold. Most of it was to you fuckers.

xorthen

Banned
I think youtube is largely to blame for the current state of affairs. These games and consoles always had a small following and due to youtube whores bragging and showing off stuff it has caused a lot of new kids and people to come and enter an otherwise niche hobby.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
I think youtube is largely to blame for the current state of affairs. These games and consoles always had a small following and due to youtube whores bragging and showing off stuff it has caused a lot of new kids and people to come and enter an otherwise niche hobby.

That's definitely a factor. If you look through the streaming and YouTube community retro gaming is definitely popular currently. I remember you used to be able to pick up a loose Hagane SNES cart for $60 bucks and then Mike from Cinemassacre (AVGN channel) made a video about it and suddenly as if it happened overnight the cart was selling for $500. It's a pretty rare game that little were aware of. So it had little demand and thus the prices stayed low.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
If you're thinking about buying Neo games from Japan, it's a good time. It was .75Y to USD, now it's about .83. Euro and GBP are slaughtering the greenback, so Europe wouldn't be a smart buy right now.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
If you're thinking about buying Neo games from Japan, it's a good time. It was .75Y to USD, now it's about .83. Euro and GBP are slaughtering the greenback, so Europe wouldn't be a smart buy right now.

The Euro has completely slumped against the dollar so if you were going to buy from Europe now is the time!

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yeah, I'm not implying anyone who ever sells a game is doing so because they need to buy a new bike for their kid or pay mortgage. The examples I gave were actual specific scenarios from another gaming forum.

And before anyone points it out I realize I said "worthless things like video games," I realize they have value. It was more in comparison to the things in life that really matter where they can be considered worthless in comparison.

I have encountered such examples on other forums too. Some people really do sink too much into the video game hobby and have literally nothing else in savings. Then shit hits the fan and they're selling off their consoles and game library to repair the car they need to get to work.

My first real look into Neo Geo gaming was very recently. I found this article: http://playlegit.net/2013/06/18/neo-geo-aes-and-mvs-collecting-guide-for-beginners/

I didn't really grasp the opening bullet points on AES vs. MVS collecting, "unlimited supply of money," etc. until I saw AES game prices often go into the thousands. And I thought Nintendo and SNES collecting was bad! I do understand it and don't see an issue with someone who wants to spend that kind of cash if they actually have it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Then shit hits the fan and they're selling off their consoles and game library to repair the car they need to get to work.

Yes, those great-hearted, hard loaning people... they're a blessing. Buying on those insane rates now, just to earn them their 15 minutes of coolness later, selling desperately afterwards, while shylocks are on their way. They are the pioneers of reversed flipping! What would nascent big tymers do without them? Forsooth, a rhetorical question.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
People buy video game (specially Neo) as an investment and sell them to get some $$$ for car repair later. What's wrong with that?
We all do that, right?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yep, people also buy cars (specially Volkswagen), realize they're a constant CO[SUB]2[/SUB] nuisance and are happy selling them to get more $$$ for video game collecting. Nothing wrong with that either. We all do that at some point... not me though. I like my Beetle.