neo geo aes CRAZY prices?

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
OMG,

i was out the neo scene for a while, i sold my aes carts 2 years ago, now i checked prices and i was ready to do infarct..

peoples become crazy? even in japan, prices are HIGHER THAN HIGHER....

WTF now we can find games like top hunter and miracle adventure converted?

why not find a way to producing together with the neo community a way to reprint every aes games? snk still have all the necessary material?
maybe they can sell it?
a kickstarter for this project can be a good idea?

what you think?

i love the neo geo aes since past 20 years, but now, sorry, this is a lot too much ..

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yeah anybody is pretty much fucked getting into the Neo now. Home carts are out of the question, MVS is quickly becoming just as bad. Damn AES games like Burning Fight & Mutation Nation fetching $300-400 is just stupid.

As far as a kickstater goes I would just move on man.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
why not find a way to producing together with the neo community a way to reprint every aes games? snk still have all the necessary material?
maybe they can sell it?
a kickstarter for this project can be a good idea?

what you think?

Fuck that. I like my AES cart values right where they are at.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
OMG, [...] this is a lot too much ..

Just think of it as 1990, you're young & destitute again, the Neo is out of reach and GFs are more important anyway... you should be fine & feel right at home then. SNK - the past is now...

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Just think of it as 1990, you're young & destitute again, the Neo is out of reach and GFs are more important anyway... you should be fine & feel right at home then. SNK - the past is now...

LOL. That's a good way to look at it.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
All retro is on the up 3DO as well, it's crazy price's now guy's, N64 cart's will be next. As a side i got about 180 megadrive/genesis boxed cart's checked out the price's on ebay for alien soldier, gunstar heroes and probotector which i've got and knew where worth a bit, but i was genuinely shocked to see the prices 3-4 times the price i paid back 10 or so years ago...

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What happened to formerly affordable games like "Burning Fight" anyway? Prices are usually formed by supply and demand, and those lower-end Neo carts were always available. Did they really become scarce because no one wants to sell theirs anymore, or is it inflated by eBay scalpers?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I think the problem is the same with the rest of vintage gaming - there are too many new people buying games, thus they drive up the prices.

The other problem people on here take for granted is Neo Geo games are legitimately rare, more than normal consumer consoles.

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
What happened to formerly affordable games like "Burning Fight" anyway? Prices are usually formed by supply and demand, and those lower-end Neo carts were always available. Did they really become scarce because no one wants to sell theirs anymore, or is it inflated by eBay scalpers?

nice question. personally i think every guy who bought a game 100 usd/ euro sell it later 120, then next guy sell it 150 , and again, and again , and again.
i loved the neo aes for his design, the smell of the cart, put it in the system , power on and play it !
but not at this price , this is very sad to see now...
it is more a business than passion.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
but not at this price , this is very sad to see now...

Don't fret....patience is more needed than ever. Not everyone wants to sell for maximum profit so every now and then, an AES game can still be obtained without taking out a loan on the house or something. :)

It can take a loooong time, though. I was able to close that gaping hole in my "King of Fighters" collection that was 2001 only recently, for example, and I have NO idea where or when I will find other games I still want. Also still need three of those NG DEV games, and while stumbling upon one of those is especially unlikely considering the print runs, I keep up hope.

Collecting AES is a more of a marathon than a sprint....now more than ever.

It's still strange how those low-tier games have jumped in price, though. Sure, all things retro have gone up, but still....wow. Better set aside a Benjamin each for "Riding Hero" and "Crossed Swords" then....always figured I'd find those for 30 to 40 someday. :D

cat

I agree with you HMG neo geo carts have always commanded a premium price compared to other systems, lower production runs meant that this has alway's been the case. When one of the rarer carts comes to market on ebay there's a feeding frenzy and normal punters like me can't live with the buying power of the collector's, how many of these high end buyer's actually play the games they purchase? I can't believe people buy and sell games still sealed in the box, don't make sense to me i'm a gamer i buy games to play...

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I hope it get to big and collapse. That must happen and prices fall from lack of interest at those crazy crazy price.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This new age of gaming just ain't cuttin' it with load times and having to cling on to the internet! That's why RETRO is so popular now imo.
BB

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
This new age of gaming just ain't cuttin' it with load times and having to cling on to the internet! That's why RETRO is so popular now imo.
BB

agree 100% the new stuff is all SHIT, every last bit of it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

Ebay, Youtube and the bootleggers ruined it all. I guess that's what happens when the 12438543 subscribers of some retro youtube channel decide to run to ebay to buy that retro gem they just saw in that new video. People with more money than brain setting new prices all by themselves and getting ripped off by shitload of bootleggers at the same time. Welcome to 2015 son.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If you can avoid ebay, which is easier said than done with neo geo, it isnt so bad..either local classifieds and the marketplace place here. Also alot Ebay prices arent really accurate of the true value of neo geo games, alot of the games that are on ebay have BIN prices that are out of lunch. Games like Art of Fighting being listed at $200..for the most part games at these inflated prices arent moving. Alot of the games are legitimately going up like crazy in value. I look at the neo-geo.com price guide and i would kill to get at those prices...metal slug 3 for $200, if only it would go back to that level.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Ebay, Youtube and the bootleggers ruined it all. I guess that's what happens when the 12438543 subscribers of some retro youtube channel decide to run to ebay to buy that retro gem they just saw in that new video. People with more money than brain setting new prices all by themselves and getting ripped off by shitload of bootleggers at the same time. Welcome to 2015 son.

This!

I HATE that fucking Youtube shit, do those people even play games? That South Park episode nailed it.

I really gotta scramble to get those last 3-5 AES carts I consider "affordable" must-haves. Plus the Magickey and the 10 or so MVS carts I gotta get to make me feel whole on the Neo front. There are just so many other things I need to be doing with that $$$ right now.

cat

It's hard to avoid ebay Itssofrustratin, like you said, and neo geo stuff in general is rare as shit in a cuckoo clock where i live so that's where i have to go, many carts price's are way beyond my meagre fund's though...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That's why RETRO is so popular now imo.
BB

The popularity of our games is also bound to the rise of importance of VGs in pop culture. Since a single FPS/TPS can earn a profit similar to a gross national income of a midsize country, there is no stopping now... along with this substantial dough, the roots of VGs became ever so important, too.

I said it before, think of the first-prints written in latin. Nobody reads them, like nobody plays their games but... everyone concerned wants to have a full shelve of it. Comics, vinyl even street art. Once it's mainstream and there's money in it, prices rise.

Think of how many ng.com members wouldn't be here, if not for that fact... that, and of course the market forum ;).

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner

Ebay scalping has a lot to do with it.

Ebay went from being an auction site, to a site with power sellers listing "Buy it now" or "Make offers" and occasionally casual users post auctions. This has led to a few problems.

First off the power sellers are generally people who sell video games for a living. This isn't a problem in and of itself, but it means that they're far more likely to try to flip for profit. The next issue is that ebay now lists "trending prices" on items when sellers go to list it. Since "Buy it now" items are more convenient than waiting for an auction to run out of time and having to potentially bid in the last 20 seconds, they see the "Trending price" and often add 5-10% for their listing, regardless of whether or not their item actually sells, the trending price only takes into account what items sell for. This creates a situation where 75% games listed on ebay are "Buy it now" items sold by resellers for 5-10% more than the "trending price. When these items actually do sell at those costs, it just continues to cause the "trending price" to rise creating a constant uptick in the prices of retro games.