neo geo aes CRAZY prices?

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I am glad to see what you are. I can't tell everything about how I love neo-geo to people who doesn't feel like me. They thought me crazy... But indeed Neo-geo has much meaning for my life more than they understand.
Since I see neo-geo first time when I was young and nice experience walks with me until I am older. Neo-geo is not only game but it's far than game for me.
I don't think to sell my top quality collection AES and never thought once really. I still be happy with MS1 mint+ condition from my love friend Brandi although price will be high.

Wow, so you were the one that bought Metal Slug 1 AES from Brandi? Congrats my friend! I am truely jealous about that, and happy for you at the same time. You have the most wanted gem on the Neo-Geo platform, and in all honestly, you got a good price, as the game never comes up for sale anymore since nobody is willing to part with it. Seriously, my hats off to you, Mahesak. If ever you do sell it, please consider me as your first buyer! I want that game back so badly, that there are no words to describe it. There is a very good chance that I will gain back every game that I gave away in '99, except for the amazing Metal Slug 1 English AES.

I am also glad that there are at least a few people out there that know, and understand, how amazing of a system the Neo-Geo is, and get that same feeling from it that I do. That really is heartwarming, and it shows that at least some people in this world still feel that same amazing feeling that SNK gave us back in the 90's. There is nothing like it anymore, and probably never will be again. As much as I love my PS3 CECH-A01 unit, as it is/was a juggernaut, it still never gave me that same amazing feeling that the Neo-Geo AES gave. There is just no comparison to the AES.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I am also glad that there are at least a few people out there that know, and understand, how amazing of a system the Neo-Geo is, and get that same feeling from it that I do. That really is heartwarming, and it shows that at least some people in this world still feel that same amazing feeling that SNK gave us back in the 90's. There is nothing like it anymore, and probably never will be again. As much as I love my PS3 CECH-A01 unit, as it is/was a juggernaut, it still never gave me that same amazing feeling that the Neo-Geo AES gave. There is just no comparison to the AES.

I am sure many folks on this forum are still passionate about Neo Geo. Me and my buddy for instance: In 1990, My friend did not eat lunch for a few months in 7th grade and saved up all of his allowance to buy a AES system and NAM 1975. When we were in college, we lived in San Jose and found out SNK Headquarters was only 5 mins away from my house. So, we decided to drive there and he bought $2,000 worth of Neo Geo CD stuff. We have also spent so much time hunting for Neo Geo homecarts and CDs in Hong Kong and Japan.

Since 1990, I have spent so many quarters on Fatal Fury 1, Fatal Fury Special, Art Of Fighting 2, Samurai Showdown series, KOF series, Stakes Winner and Sengoku 3 etc in arcade. Neo Geo is my "the gateway to the past" as I have had so many good memories associated with it.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I sold most of my collection back around 1996 (mostly an AES system and 9-10 AES EUR carts) for less than $200 :( blinded by the new 3D scenery. I still remember my friends telling me to let the Neo go as nobody else would want it anymore with PSX and Saturn on the market ("sell it by $200, now that you're still on time"...).
Still now, ashamed to say I sold the Neo with the intention to buy a Saturn :D

After trying these 3D consoles, and finding out what I truly enjoyed playing was the Neo, I started collecting it again and ended up with over 100+ carts before SNK disappeared.

The wisest thing I have probably done in my life :).
I just regret (and will forever) not buying MS1 at the time it was still "affordable" by $700.

Where did my Neo go, I can't really say now, but I remember it was someone who had it kept under the bed for years, and probably ended up throwing it away.

The Neo has been part of me since it was released, and will always be, regardless prices go up, down, or nobody else gives a sh*t about it :D

GinForBreakfast

Quiz Detective
You seem to be going through a hard time Fakk2. I'd say do whatever makes you happy; be it a nice car or video games, who cares. Haters gonna hate.

Fakk2

I am sure many folks on this forum are still passionate about Neo Geo. Me and my buddy for instance: In 1990, My friend did not eat lunch for a few months in 7th grade and saved up all of his allowance to buy a AES system and NAM 1975. When we were in college, we lived in San Jose and found out SNK Headquarters was only 5 mins away from my house. So, we decided to drive there and he bought $2,000 worth of Neo Geo CD stuff. We have also spent so much time hunting for Neo Geo homecarts and CDs in Hong Kong and Japan.

Since 1990, I have spent so many quarters on Fatal Fury 1, Fatal Fury Special, Art Of Fighting 2, Samurai Showdown series, KOF series, Stakes Winner and Sengoku 3 etc in arcade. Neo Geo is my "the gateway to the past" as I have had so many good memories associated with it.

That's awesome to hear, bro! In the arcade, I also spent a ton playing the games on the Big Red, just for testing out what I wanted to buy next each release. I have a fond memory of going on a field trip to UCLA college campus in 8th grade, and we were supposed to check out the campus, and see what it was like. A best friend that was still alive back then and I ran directly to their arcade, and played Strider, and the BigRed, and that is when we saw and played Sengoku for the first time! We played that game until it was time to go.

The very second I got home, I made sure to run out and grab that game from someone I knew in LA that got it for me like new for $130, and that was so mcuh fun back then. It is many memories just like that which are the reasons why I love the Neo-Geo so much. Most of the best times I had as a kid, (not all, but most), somehow revolved around the Neo-Geo, and getting the games for it, and the journeys I took to go hunt them down for the cheapest prices possible. It was a blast!

I sold most of my collection back around 1996 (mostly an AES system and 9-10 AES EUR carts) for less than $200 :( blinded by the new 3D scenery. I still remember my friends telling me to let the Neo go as nobody else would want it anymore with PSX and Saturn on the market ("sell it by $200, now that you're still on time"...).
Still now, ashamed to say I sold the Neo with the intention to buy a Saturn :D

After trying these 3D consoles, and finding out what I truly enjoyed playing was the Neo, I started collecting it again and ended up with over 100+ carts before SNK disappeared.

The wisest thing I have probably done in my life :).
I just regret (and will forever) not buying MS1 at the time it was still "affordable" by $700.

Where did my Neo go, I can't really say now, but I remember it was someone who had it kept under the bed for years, and probably ended up throwing it away.

The Neo has been part of me since it was released, and will always be, regardless prices go up, down, or nobody else gives a sh*t about it :D

That's an interesting story, bro. I had a different reason for selling mine which involved Emulation, and NeoRage. The fact that in 1999 the Emulation scene was exploding, and people were able to play the Neo-Geo among many other game systems for free, had me believing that not only would the Neo-Geo become worthless, (why would anyone pay for something they can play for free?), and that SNK would immediately ditch the system at that point, and if there were a best time to sell it, all my friends had be believing that doing it then before it's too late was the best decision, so I can at least go something for it.

So, our story is similar, and I totally feel for you, as that was possibly the lowest price point to sell it in history. I certainly didn't sell it for the 3D consoles, but the fact that I gave away a like new system with a complete English collection plus 4 JPN carts for less than $800 was the mistake of a lifetime.

Interestingly enough, I tagged many of my games in certain ways, just to know if I ever got them again in the future I would know they were mine, and I have seen people selling the Metal Slug 1 and 2 and Ninja Masters etc that I used to own, some right here on these very forums. I try to track down the buyers and sellers to get them back, just to have the originals that I used to have back in my possession, and for some carts I have been successful in doing so, which is a neat feeling.

You seem to be going through a hard time Fakk2. I'd say do whatever makes you happy; be it a nice car or video games, who cares. Haters gonna hate.

Thank you, I appreciate it. :) I am not really looking for sympathy though, I just am not wanting the hate is all. There is just no need for it at all, simply because I sold my games, and I am buying them back now. If there is a really petty ass reason to hate on someone, or call them names and act like a child, that is one of the most ludicrous reasons for doing so that I can think of. Certain members here have died as of recent, and more of us will sooner or later, so there is no reason for acting like a hater to anyone for their buying of games. If anything, people should be cool, and happy, about the fact that their are people out there that still even want to buy and PLAY games on these older consoles. We are indeed a small group of fans for this machine, so we should find a way to be more appreciative of one another, and actually be happy when someone else finds enjoyment in buying, and playing games on the Neo-Geo. It really is an awesome system, with some of the greatest games ever made.

Is this a joke or reality? This is far more than I can make in a year!!

It's reality, and in the end it was a bit more K's than that. But in the midst of things, does it really matter? Different strokes for different folks! All's well, that ends well, I always say. :)

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Life is short and if it makes you happy fakk2 and your still able to keep a roof on your head and put food on table then who the fuck cares what people think. Spending that amount of money on video games is definitely not exactly what i would consider fiscally responsible but there is far worse things you can piss away money on. Its hard to put a price on childhood nostalgia and thats what most people are ultimately purchasing when it comes to old collectible shit, they are trying to buy of a piece of their childhood back and go back to simpler time. Ultimately the reason why these type of things go up in value the way they do is because someone had it when they were younger and sold it or had it thrown out and are looking to get it back no matter the cost. If everybody hung on to their shit be it video games, comics or star wars toys then these things would not command big prices.

I had a pretty decent n64 collection back in the day which i gave away for to a some chick 10 years for nothing and now im kicking myself for doing so and i didnt even give a shit for years but now i want it back, even though i can easily emulate any of the games i want in minutes. Small potatoes compared to your dilemma but i definitely relate. Its not a rational thing but having the system and the cartridges would bring me back to a simpler time before bills, finding a career and all the shit the comes with being an adult.

Anyway, my two cents...i definitely get it. Good luck on finding that elusive MS1.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Life is short and if it makes you happy fakk2 and your still able to keep a roof on your head and put food on table then who the fuck cares what people think.
The only reason he can keep a roof on his head and put food on the table is because he got a $40,000 loan to do so. If he could afford the games + housing + food, he wouldn't have needed the loan. So the loan really applies to all his living costs, not just the games. Without the loan, at least one of those things wouldn't be affordable.

Fakk2

Life is short and if it makes you happy fakk2 and your still able to keep a roof on your head and put food on table then who the fuck cares what people think. Spending that amount of money on video games is definitely not exactly what i would consider fiscally responsible but there is far worse things you can piss away money on. Its hard to put a price on childhood nostalgia and thats what most people are ultimately purchasing when it comes to old collectible shit, they are trying to buy of a piece of their childhood back and go back to simpler time. Ultimately the reason why these type of things go up in value the way they do is because someone had it when they were younger and sold it or had it thrown out and are looking to get it back no matter the cost. If everybody hung on to their shit be it video games, comics or star wars toys then these things would not command big prices.

I had a pretty decent n64 collection back in the day which i gave away for to a some chick 10 years for nothing and now im kicking myself for doing so and i didnt even give a shit for years but now i want it back, even though i can easily emulate any of the games i want in minutes. Small potatoes compared to your dilemma but i definitely relate. Its not a rational thing but having the system and the cartridges would bring me back to a simpler time before bills, finding a career and all the shit the comes with being an adult.

Anyway, my two cents...i definitely get it. Good luck on finding that elusive MS1.

Thank god, someone that gets it. Thank you!

The only reason he can keep a roof on his head and put food on the table is because he got a $40,000 loan to do so. If he could afford the games + housing + food, he wouldn't have needed the loan. So the loan really applies to all his living costs, not just the games. Without the loan, at least one of those things wouldn't be affordable.

Actually, your wrong, every cent went directly to the Neo-Geo and LaserDisc items. I have other funds that pay for the other shit, and my house and cars are already paid off. Thanks for playing, but you lose. Oh, and in the end it was more like 55k or so... not like it matters though at this point. It could be 100k, and it would still be just as insane in the end. Had I not had enough money for food, or to pay the rent, or whatever, no way in hell would I borrow money from anyone to buy those games back. Thankfully, I have good friends and family with a lot of money that trust me enough to let me borrow some cash for a few things now, and let me pay them back slow but sure.

Last edited:

madman

Actually, your wrong, every cent went directly to the Neo-Geo and LaserDisc items. I have other funds that pay for the other shit, and my house and cars are already paid off. Thanks for playing, but you lose. Oh, and in the end it was more like 55k or so... not like it matters though at this point.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. And yep, I lose. I'm the one who borrowed $55,000 for games and movies on an outdated video format. Man, my life sure sucks, you've really made me reconsider how I live. I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some laserdiscs.

Fakk2

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. And yep, I lose. I'm the one who borrowed $55,000 for games and movies on an outdated video format. Man, my life sure sucks, you've really made me reconsider how I live. I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some laserdiscs.

At the end of the day, I still don't give a shit, so say what you want, it makes zero difference to me, bro. :P

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...I have good friends and family with a lot of money that trust me enough to let me borrow some cash for a few things now, and let me pay them back slow but sure.

That's what I call good news... now I'm not longer worried about your thumbs anymore. Would've been annoying playing all those games without them ;).

But

...housing + food [...] living (costs)...

are not just

...the other shit, ...

Enjoy them, too. Just sayin'...

pmoniez

n00b
Good for you fakk2. If spending a large sum of money on something you love gives you a priceless reward then it's worth it 100%. People spend that kind of money on cars every day yet no one would question their motives. In years to come people may look back and wonder why they didn't take out a loan to buy a decent collection of aes games. Fuck, people laughed at the thought of spending a few hundred on ms1 a few years back. At the end of the day if it makes you happy...well fuck anyone who tries to take it away from you. Haters are definitely going to motherfucking hate.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
There are plenty of people out there that sell their left nut for cabbage patch kids and plenty of other things. Whatever makes you happy. You only live once.

madman

There are plenty of people out there that sell their left nut for cabbage patch kids and plenty of other things. Whatever makes you happy. You only live once.

There are plenty of people out there who are homeless junkies. Whatever makes you happy. You only live once.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

By people it would be more accurate to say men, very few women get hardcore about collecting things from their childhood. Things like cabbage patch dolls and that doll that pissed itself are generally not worth shit but things like lego, transformers, action figures etc can go for alot. Just something ive found interesting.

Aes games are just genuinely rare as well due to the MVS/AES thing which allowed AES games to be sold for so long without being commercially relevant. Even a 'common' a AES is rare as shit by video game standards, if you brought in an AES Sam Sho 2 to your local game store , the pimply teenager would probably blow a load once he sees it. That or they'll just be confused what it is.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Even a 'common' a AES is rare as shit by video game standards, if you brought in an AES Sam Sho 2 to your local game store , the pimply teenager would probably blow a load once he sees it. That or they'll just be confused what it is.

And then tell you it's worth $0.02 in trade in credit.

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
People people people , Calm down ! Listen I used to buy AES game some for 10 and 30 bucks (Magician Lord, Waku7) some new from SNK for 300 (Slug x,2,3 LastBlade) but i sold all 40 carts and console off around 2002 to help out a friend in need. I didn't make any profit and I didn't keep the money so really there was no profit hell he and I don't talk any more after last year so hell really nothing but empty hands on this end.

BUT !!! prices will eventually come crashing down, its not a bubble per say but as we get further away from the generations that can remember the attachment of said items the interest, demand and willingness to pay premium prices falls. Look at Lionel trains 15 years ago they were still rising but now you can find them at swap meets all cleaned up ready to roll with the boxes.

As people pass away these items will be sold off and the market will flood once again. Baseball cards are dead not because kids don't watch baseball but because theres not attachment to paper items in a digital world, those cards made kids feel like they owned a piece of MLB when now they can buy tons of different merch or even instantly digitally download a game on ps4 they will have no physical copy to want to nostalgically horde in 20 years. Comics will go the same way as generations will read more on tablets only historians will want to preserve a copy of superman more because of the printing era it signifies. one day no one will care about first appearances,

I buy MVS because i can afford ($$) the bit of nostalgia i feel for my lost AES and because i don't buy the new consoles unless they are used at 140 bucks. and even then the game are rarely as interesting to me as say Crossed swords 2 on MVS. what I'm saying is Things are worth what ever one individual is willing to pay for them, just think about weather that moment you need the expensive stuff is now? Especially if you have kids to feed. The market will fall down slowly (young game investors will be selling in their 30s and 40s for house or car payments)

one last thing if you buying an AES to next buy a EverDrive AES cart when it drops then sell the carts and consoles, emulation on Hardware is just expensive emulation

( this is has been just one assholes opinion)
Thanks

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
By people it would be more accurate to say men, very few women get hardcore about collecting things from their childhood. Things like cabbage patch dolls and that doll that pissed itself are generally not worth shit but things like lego, transformers, action figures etc can go for alot. Just something ive found interesting.

Aes games are just genuinely rare as well due to the MVS/AES thing which allowed AES games to be sold for so long without being commercially relevant. Even a 'common' a AES is rare as shit by video game standards, if you brought in an AES Sam Sho 2 to your local game store , the pimply teenager would probably blow a load once he sees it. That or they'll just be confused what it is.

Can't agree with that entirely, there are shit loads of women who still have fucking teddy bears all over their bedrooms like they're 4 years old, that's pretty much a girl only thing. Plus pink cars. If that's not crying out I'm still a child I don't know what is.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
> change thread title: "neo geo aes CRAZY people!"

Fakk2

Good for you fakk2. If spending a large sum of money on something you love gives you a priceless reward then it's worth it 100%. People spend that kind of money on cars every day yet no one would question their motives. In years to come people may look back and wonder why they didn't take out a loan to buy a decent collection of aes games. Fuck, people laughed at the thought of spending a few hundred on ms1 a few years back. At the end of the day if it makes you happy...well fuck anyone who tries to take it away from you. Haters are definitely going to motherfucking hate.

Thanks, I have taken notice of this for many decades, and I have had haters on my ass about the Neo-Geo AES since it first came out in 1990. Everyone back then said I was crazy for paying $199 per game, and that the system would not last as long as the NES, TG16, Genesis etc..due to prices, and nobody cared about graphics, only the games that were popular back then, and the Neo-Geo didn't have games that anyone knew about because nobody owned them. I had many haters in 8th grade, when I first got the AES, and in the 9th grade, talking shit about it as if they didn't want one and that I was a moron for getting it. Talking shit about Burning Fight, comparing it to the ever so cool Streets of Rage, etc.. and laughing because the Streets of Rage was so much cheaper and everyone wanted it for only $69.

I recall haters even when Metal Slug came out, people were acting like the game sucked balls due to how short it was compared to Final Fantasy 7 on PSX when I took it over to their house to play it with them, etc etc.. and now, I am facing the same fucking kids as I did back then, talking the same shit, as if it will one day make me care about what they are telling me. They just don't seem to understand that I am in it for the games that I like, and the Neo brings games to the table that nothing else does/did. I can sit back, and use the NeoJukebox for HOURS on end today, and just LOVE listening to the music to the games, only back then I had to capture the music from the AES to cassette tapes to listen to. lol Either way, I love the Neo more than anything else, and nothing people will say is going to change that. If anything, my love for the system has grown since I was a kid, as I now also love the MVS games, and playing them on a 6 Slot Big Red cab is an amazing experience, and it takes me back to when I was always playing the 4 slot cab in the arcades in the mall, or at my uncles place.

That is exactly how I feel. Yes, you only live once, and when you actually experience near death experiences first hand, it makes you understand just how short life is, and how fragile we really are. After something like that, you begin to take an all new look at life, and you realize that buying a few things that make you truly happy, as long as your not hurting others in the process, is not a bad thing. If I am to die in a few years, I can at least look back and say, well it sucks to go now, but, I at least really did enjoy those last few years as much as I could, despite whatever difficulties that came along the way.

There are plenty of people out there who are homeless junkies. Whatever makes you happy. You only live once.

I hardly think anyone will imagine that buying videogames, playing them in your home, then going to bed at night in a warm comfortable bed with your wife, waking up the next day to take care of things, pay the bills, make some din din, playing games again with your friends.. etc etc.. and doing this every day in life, is in any way comparable to being a god damn junkie dying of some nasty disease, sharing needles with other junkies, having no home other than the streets, and dying on the cold pavement from ODing one night.. I mean seriously, get fucking real please. 99% of videogamers have nearly the SAME exact life I lead. I have borrowed money for different games on many occassions, and they were always paid off. Ask anyone that knows me, I am always good for my word, and people trust me when it comes to money. That is hardly something people can say about a junkie that is homeless.

prices will eventually come crashing down, its not a bubble per say but as we get further away from the generations that can remember the attachment of said items the interest, demand and willingness to pay premium prices falls.

now they can buy tons of different merch or even instantly digitally download a game on ps4 they will have no physical copy to want to nostalgically horde in 20 years.

That is just the thing though, I am not interested in waiting for my generation of gamers to die, just for a price drop on these games, as quite surely by that time, I will have also died. So the point of the prices dropping one day are pointless for today's gamers.

Also, about that comment on "Digital Software", I honestly think it is a matter of time people pull their heads out of the sand on that one, as most gamers like to own physical copies of their games. Not just for hoarding, but, also for trading in for other games with their friends. They like to see it on the shelf with their other games, they like to know that if they so wish to walk to a buddies house and play that game they bough on someone elses console, they can do so. Everything about digital distribution is a complete and utter fraud. There are a LOT of people that think it is okay to buy, and download digitally distributed music, however, I think the rise in pirates downloading this shit for free is a direct result of digital distribution ever even coming out, and showing it face to the general public.

One day there will be a time when people look back at this era, and they will wonder why we ever tried this digital distribution nonsense anyway, as even scientists are saying there might be a blackout period of time, where a few decades of content will one day be lost forever, due to the way electronics work, break, digital media gets wiped out easily, and the way we are no longer forcing companies to make things on physical media. But, I suppose that's a different subject entirely. The point I am making here, is that just because there are fools now that find it much easier to download a game on PS4, doesn't mean it's the wave of the future, and it's no reason to abandon physical media, nor will the value of physical media fall in value due to digital distribution. I believe if anything, physical media value will rise because of it one day.

> change thread title: "neo geo aes CRAZY people!"

They's okay, why not. I have people on my friends list on FB that are just as crazy about their MVS collection as the AES owners. So being in the MVS boat surely does not make you any different from AES owners. Sure, MVS is cheaper now, but give it a few more years. MVS games and the collectors of MVS carts will be looked at in just the same damn way as AES owners always have been looked at. ;)