Your essential AES/MVS/CD collection, what would it include?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
no one has NAM-1975 on their list? When I sold off most of my games a few years ago that one stayed on the shelf. But it does hold a special place as the first NG game I played in the arcade.

I totally forgot but it's definitely one of my favorites.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
no one has NAM-1975 on their list? When I sold off most of my games a few years ago that one stayed on the shelf. But it does hold a special place as the first NG game I played in the arcade.

That's a good call, I think these days it's only cheap on AES, the NGCD is crazy and for some insane reason it's now a $100 game on MVS.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
For me it goes like this.

Idealistically in a perfect world i'd own every single AES game Japanese version that wasnt released for CD. Then i'd finish my Japanese CD collection. I've already got 51 games I feel like theres no point to stop now.

Only games I truly really get tons of play out of?

Last Blade, Metal Slug 1/X/4, King of Fighters 99 and 2k1, Rage of the Dragons, Sengoku 3, Samurai Shodown 4.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I find annoying how some japanese AES titles became more expensive than US counterparts.
NAM 1975 and Raguy in particular.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Stuff people didn't list yet:
Top Hunter
Spin Master
2020 Baseball

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AES has nice insert, case and manual

They are nice, but MVS kits are also nice in their own way. Anyway, I do not care for full MVS kits or minty AES carts, I care for the games, getting them, playing them, enjoying them. I have a couple MVS kits and like 4 or 5 homecarts, but I keep the carts ready to be played and the cardboard boxes/clamshells are in the library, holding only dust, never being touched.

...and here I was starting to think you were like one of them SNK latino fanboys...good for you.

Not sure why you would think that, but...thanks? ;)

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Stuff people didn't list yet:
Top Hunter
Spin Master
2020 Baseball

Top Hunter, no. Spin Master, I guess I'd consider it an essential since it's the best platformer style game on the Neo. 2020 I wouldn't consider essential, it's a fun game for sure, but BS2 is far superior.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
My essential list would be:

Blazing Star
Last Resort
Mutation Nation
Sengoku 3
Nam 75
Slug 2 & 3
Gunlord

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Magical Drop III
Samurai Showdon II
Samurai Showdon III
The Last Blade
Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Anyone play the Anthology (Wii) version of SS4? There's something off with that one, having never played any other version of it... I have no idea if its a bad port, or if that game really looks like its filtered.

I may re-edit this post as I plan to at least check out a few games I have yet to play, and need to replay metal slug 1-5 as my memory of the games is very hazy (I don't think I've ever played slug sober).

Kzero

n00b
WindJammers / Flying Power Disc

That's it. That's all I want. It will be my 4th and final game.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Won't mention specific games, however you must have:
- fighting games
- beat'em ups
- run'n guns
- shmups

Neo Geo was tremendously prolific with any of this genres. Overall you always have good games

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A perfect mix of icons & absolutely subjective all time favs with a drop of oddity... tough.

Icons would be: Nam-1975, Magician Lord, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Viewpoint, Samurai Shodown, Top Hunter, KoF '94, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug & Mark of the Wolves.

All time favs: Whatever you desire.

Some, but at least three, out of those off-beat gems to round it up: Cyber-Lip, League Bowling, Crossed Swords, Andro Dunos, Windjammers, Over Top, Waku Waku 7, Super Dodgeball, Twinkle Star Sprites, Magical Drop III, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad, Nightmare in the Dark & Matrimelee.

...plus the allegedly worst & best game ever: Legend of Success Joe & Neo Turf Masters.

Bar81

20 Year Member
Pulstar, Blazing star................I can read those Japanese characters..............wow

Thanks, I just look at the little pictures and the colors to tell one from the other :D

Damn you with that Slug 1! :D

First time I've had one. My initial run around the block in 05 I had the good sense not to spend more than 1k on a game so I had 40 or so real carts and MS1 was a conversion (very cool cover art though - it was a landscape pic of the Metal Slug against a black background - haven't seen it since). This time while I was thinking about getting back into homecarts a couple of years ago I noticed a seller had more than one MS1 in his collection and that he was selling some doubles of other games - I asked and he said that he'd be open to selling it and some other high value cart doubles and that led to a two year search to complete my new and improved collection which is what I have now - the games that I absolutely love.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
First time I've had one. My initial run around the block in 05 I had the good sense not to spend more than 1k on a game so I had 40 or so real carts and MS1 was a conversion (very cool cover art though - it was a landscape pic of the Metal Slug against a black background - haven't seen it since). This time while I was thinking about getting back into homecarts a couple of years ago I noticed a seller had more than one MS1 in his collection and that he was selling some doubles of other games - I asked and he said that he'd be open to selling it and some other high value cart doubles and that led to a two year search to complete my new and improved collection which is what I have now - the games that I absolutely love.

Thats cool man, ms1 is beyond way too expensive for me I'm done even thinking about it. Since i got a CMVS I'm just gonna be just fine with the MVS cart. Wish i could have scored it back about 5 or 6 years ago but oh well.

What you think a (jap ) copy goes for these days $3000?

Last edited:

Bar81

20 Year Member
Thats cool man, ms1 is beyond way too expensive for me I'm done even thinking about it. Since i got a CMVS I'm just gonna be just fine with the MVS cart. Wish i could have scored it back about 5 or 6 years ago but oh well.

What you think a (jap ) copy goes for these days $3000?

Let's just put it this way - I paid more than that for my copy two years ago so if you can get it for that price now that would be a good buy. The trend on the super rares is up and up - US MS1 sold for 10k recently and that's quite a jump from where it was sitting when I bought my JP copy (iirc - $6-7k or so on the high end). Believe it or not, BTG (my favorite) was the really painful one to find (probably just because I got lucky with MS1 though) and the one that cost me the most (that thing is going to the grave with me).

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Let's just put it this way - I paid more than that for my copy two years ago so if you can get it for that price now that would be a good buy. The trend on the super rares is up and up - US MS1 sold for 10k recently and that's quite a jump from where it was sitting when I bought my JP copy (iirc - $6-7k or so on the high end). Believe it or not, BTG (my favorite) was the really painful one to find (probably just because I got lucky with MS1 though) and the one that cost me the most (that thing is going to the grave with me).

Damn, well I remember back in '11 I found a (jap ) copy for $2200. I thought that was stupid crazy then, I should have bought it anyway. No way in hell I would or could spend $3000 + on a single game. I going to be content having 2, 3 & 5 AES. Just going MVS on pt. 1.

Bar81

20 Year Member
Damn, well I remember back in '11 I found a (jap ) copy for $2200. I thought that was stupid crazy then, I should have bought it anyway. No way in hell I would or could spend $3000 + on a single game. I going to be content having 2, 3 & 5 AES. Just going MVS on pt. 1.

I don't think that any of the prices for high value carts have ever been anything other than stupid crazy in the last 10 years. Sure, they've gotten crazier in the last couple of years but $1,000+ for MS1 and $700 for BTG in 05 was already pretty insane.