you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

MysticJoJo

Overtop Pathfinder
Yeah, back in 2000 MCSE and A+ certifications were pretty much interchangeable. My guide was probably designed to cover both and had sections on disposal as well as stuff like static discharge and CRT shock warnings. Again, my info's old, so updated care instructions would be much appreciated.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
MCSE and A+ never covered capacitor discharge. MCSE and A+ also didn't cover component level repair for CRTs. It does state that you should leave CRT component level repairs to professionals.

Yeah, back in 2000 MCSE and A+ certifications were pretty much interchangeable. My guide was probably designed to cover both and had sections on disposal as well as stuff like static discharge and CRT shock warnings. Again, my info's old, so updated care instructions would be much appreciated.

MysticJoJo

Overtop Pathfinder
Well, then, I'm stumped as to where I read it. In any case, you should definitely look up how to safely discharge a CRT before you go around touching one.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Well, then, I'm stumped as to where I read it. In any case, you should definitely look up how to safely discharge a CRT before you go around touching one.

blojo_zpsa1aff576.png

synrgy87

n00b

i normally use my tongue n just lick it all over, but probably better cleaning that one first.

podo38

n00b
Thanks guys for the TIPS lol. I know how to discharge ... Whithout a trip to the hospital . I think my board is beyond fixing

podo38

n00b
O.k As usual I can't post anywhere else.... I have successfully decharched my 19" CRT with no issues!!! No big deal to some....... I now have the Chassis on my workbench and contemplating what to do. Replacement Chassis (hoping the monitor is still workable), Newer CRT, or Pc monitor to which I have zero feedback on.??

Ground control to Major Tom...................................

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi everyone!
I'm new here, so I can't post anywhere else.
I found this forum a few months ago when searching through google about schematics for the MVS MV2 audio circuit (I had one which needed repair). Back then, being a lurker sufficied and I got my board repaired (bad caps and a blown headphone amplifier), but now i have two MV-1FZ boards which have a nastier (stuck in watchdog) problem, so I decided that a more "interactive" approach (coming here and asking for help ;-) ) would have been in order.

Maybe this is not exactly the best thread to start explaining the situation, as I have pictures and videos to show. Is there any chance the door to the tech section might open? :-)

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
While I am at it, I can show the problem:
This is the first 1FZ (Machine A):
It shows a flashing screen with colored blocks.

This is the second 1FZ (Machine B):
This one shows a static screen of colored blocks, which changes after a few seconds.

Both machines are in apparent good shape: no battery corrosion (But I removed the batteries anyway, as they were dead).
Sadly a closer inspection showed blackened traces around the board.

Right now I started probing Machine B, and found an interrupted trace between bios A8 and the CPU. I still don't know if this is the only damage (won't have time to fix it until tomorrow in the evening). I'll keep you posted...

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Right now I started probing Machine B, and found an interrupted trace between bios A8 and the CPU. I still don't know if this is the only damage (won't have time to fix it until tomorrow in the evening). I'll keep you posted...

I patched the trace: now Machine B starts, goes to the green screen and then shows a Z80 error :(
Now I'm trying to trace the connection from the Z80 to the rest of the board using this pin scheme.
Also, the board passed a 5 minute work ram test.

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've tested SM1 connections using this and 6116 sound ram connections using the table found here. All the traces are fine.
I'm missing a complete check of YM2610, NEO-D0 and NEO-C1. Anyone has a table for these or all I have available is on neogeodev wiki?
Another thing I can try is desoldering the SM1 chip and read it with my EPROM programmer, to see if it is still sane.

If all these check out fine too, I'll have to dig out my dusty oscilloscope and start checking the signals. In the meantime I bought a diagnostic bios + cart on Jamma Nation X, to help me with the ordeal.

Anyone wants to share some advice? Pretty please? ;)

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Anyone wants to share some advice? Pretty please? ;)

Great news!
I set aside Machine B, waiting for the test cart from Jamma Nation and started checking machine A.
I found a dead trace to the bios and a broken pin on the cart riser, shortcircuiting the device.

Both fixed and now the MV-1FZ works beautifully!!!
Another stroke of luck: today i received my DIP40 EPROM adapter, so I've been able to program an Unibios 3 and a diagnostic bios.

Both Machine A and B pass all tests with the diagnostic bios (except the Z80, which of course cannot be tested... yet) and both work under Unibios 3 (Machine B without any audio).
Does Unibios completely skip the Z80 check? It shows no error at all at startup...

MaxWar

n00b
The first I heard of this forum because of all teh drama but I dont have any Neo Geo hardware, so did not think to join before.
I recently got myself a SuperGun and probably will be getting a MVS setup sooner or later.

I like modding and repairing so the tech aid sections of forums are usually where I hang out the most.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I may not be able to start a thread, but I sure do love Windjammers.
And Twinkle Star Sprites.

Sup all!!

Since I can't start a thread to say "hi", I decided to do it here.

Awaiting my first MVS, game carts, and supergun in the mail... in the meantime I discovered something magicial.... it's called "shock box"!!

I'm not sure where I'm headed on this trip, but it's heaps of awesomeness.

---Quack:)