you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

Kyle Rayner

Banned
Hello new here and haven't got full access yet. The one question rattling around in my head has to do with JPN vs US AES consoles. From all the research I have done so far it looks like US consoles are much harder to come across. Is there a stigma on the JPN consoles when collecting? Im not really trying to get super hardcore but was just curious is a collection was seen as inferior if you had a JPN console. I would like to have a collection respected as much as the next guy, just didnt know how it worked in the NG AES community. Thanks and I look forward to all the information on the boards!

and just for the record I would never look down on anyone, its just my ocd/collector nature to understand a completionist mind set on the two consoles.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Kyle, I can't really help you with your question (which is seems to be collectardism at its finest), but I do know ENG games and consoles (usually) cost more than their (often higher in number) JPN counterparts. The only real difference between the two console areas is the BIOS, which determines the language and some censorship aspects of the game (all versions are on all carts). The BIOS can be desoldered and replaced with a UniverseBIOS, which will give you full controll of all the options.

Now, you should reconsider if you want to collect Homecarts - it's expensive as fuck and many games are almost unattainable nowadays. It would make more sense to go for the MVS platform (even thought prices are going nowhere but up up up there as well) if you want to collect NeoGeo games.

My advice would be to buy a motherboard that can easily be used for your preferences (be it NGH or MVS), purchase a NeoSD [or build a stick, get a good video card plus crt and emulate] and enjoy the games. Any thing else is pretty much this now:
Inferno_Canto_3_line_9.jpg

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I would like to have a collection respected as much as the next guy, just didnt know how it worked in the NG AES community. Thanks and I look forward to all the information on the boards!

Hi and welcome to the forums =)

Well, it's as simple as xsq said: the bios is the only difference you will be facing.
If you are planning to start now a Neo collection I'm afraid you are way too late thou :( You can get some cheappies like AOF 1 and 2, Fatal Fury 2/Special... but as for the rest you should go the NeoSD route.

Kyle Rayner

Banned
Kyle, I can't really help you with your question (which is seems to be collectardism at its finest), but I do know ENG games and consoles (usually) cost more than their (often higher in number) JPN counterparts. The only real difference between the two console areas is the BIOS, which determines the language and some censorship aspects of the game (all versions are on all carts). The BIOS can be desoldered and replaced with a UniverseBIOS, which will give you full controll of all the options.

Now, you should reconsider if you want to collect Homecarts - it's expensive as fuck and many games are almost unattainable nowadays. It would make more sense to go for the MVS platform (even thought prices are going nowhere but up up up there as well) if you want to collect NeoGeo games.

My advice would be to buy a motherboard that can easily be used for your preferences (be it NGH or MVS), purchase a NeoSD [or build a stick, get a good video card plus crt and emulate] and enjoy the games. Any thing else is pretty much this now:
Inferno_Canto_3_line_9.jpg

well besides not appreciating the collectardism comment, we all collect differently and I'm just trying to get a feel for the community, I do thank you for explaining the bios issues. That seems to be a unique aspect of the NG systems/carts. And thanks for the MVS suggestion, I will look into that so I can have some fun with out of reach games.

Kyle Rayner

Banned
Hi and welcome to the forums =)

Well, it's as simple as xsq said: the bios is the only difference you will be facing.
If you are planning to start now a Neo collection I'm afraid you are way too late thou :( You can get some cheappies like AOF 1 and 2, Fatal Fury 2/Special... but as for the rest you should go the NeoSD route.

Lol yes it would appear that I am late to the party. I just completed a full US retail Sega Saturn collection and have moved on to the next console that I could only dream about getting when I was a kid in the early 90's. I have a pocket change to help me make some decisions about expensive carts but with this community I will have to be very selective and confident! :) The wonderful thing about retro gaming that I have found is that buying an expensive game is not a death sentence in and of it self. I have bought games in the high hundreds only to sell a year later after beating and look at it like a rental fee if I lose a few dozen bucks. The market is there so I'm never worried about being "stuck" with something...as long as I don't over pay to begin with. thanks for the reply!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I just completed a full US retail Sega Saturn collection

I would like to see said collection. I have no interest in doing it myself anymore, but seeing a large US saturn collection is always nice to look at.

Kyle Rayner

Banned
I would like to see said collection. I have no interest in doing it myself anymore, but seeing a large US saturn collection is always nice to look at.

At current it is all boxed up, we are expecting a new baby boy on 4/14. I had to give up my retro room for the new kid! :'( Still trying to decide how to carve out new space for my CRT and games. Also, having those bulls*** clam shells out in the open with two kids in the house is a nightmare waiting to happen! XD

But full disclosure I did end up selling my Daytona Netlink copy awhile back but that wasn't technically retail but mail order so I don't count it against my retail collection! What I can tell you, that I am actually proud of, is that all the clam shells are in mint condition. I went through a phase in around 2009 where I went to amazon and ebay and bought up all the crap sports games for like 5-10 a pop just for the cases. It was well worth it! Now I am just stuck with a box of discs and cracked cases from the project.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I went through a phase in around 2009 where I went to amazon and ebay and bought up all the crap sports games for like 5-10 a pop just for the cases. It was well worth it! Now I am just stuck with a box of discs and cracked cases from the project.

I bought a sports lot not too long ago to do the same thing. Finding the inserts and manuals are a bitch.

Would love to do it with the games that I have, but the aforementioned search makes it not even worth it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
At current it is all boxed up, we are expecting a new baby boy on 4/14. I had to give up my retro room for the new kid! :'( Still trying to decide how to carve out new space for my CRT and games. Also, having those bulls*** clam shells out in the open with two kids in the house is a nightmare waiting to happen! XD

But full disclosure I did end up selling my Daytona Netlink copy awhile back but that wasn't technically retail but mail order so I don't count it against my retail collection! What I can tell you, that I am actually proud of, is that all the clam shells are in mint condition. I went through a phase in around 2009 where I went to amazon and ebay and bought up all the crap sports games for like 5-10 a pop just for the cases. It was well worth it! Now I am just stuck with a box of discs and cracked cases from the project.

Interesting, I dumped all of my US games a few years ago. The longboxes are kinda silly and some of the games just aren't that good. Cool that you completed a set. I prefer the JP stuff myself if only for the size concern. Plus some other gems that never came out here.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hello new here and haven't got full access yet. The one question rattling around in my head has to do with JPN vs US AES consoles. From all the research I have done so far it looks like US consoles are much harder to come across. Is there a stigma on the JPN consoles when collecting? Im not really trying to get super hardcore but was just curious is a collection was seen as inferior if you had a JPN console. I would like to have a collection respected as much as the next guy, just didnt know how it worked in the NG AES community. Thanks and I look forward to all the information on the boards!

On the systems, the only difference between a Japanese and a US system is the bios, which is irrelevant since you should install a Unibios anyway.

Kyle Rayner

Banned
Interesting, I dumped all of my US games a few years ago. The longboxes are kinda silly and some of the games just aren't that good. Cool that you completed a set. I prefer the JP stuff myself if only for the size concern. Plus some other gems that never came out here.

For sure, I have the Shining Force Trilogy that only came out in JP and it has been a blast to play through. I also got the bonus mail in disc with the 3d models and movies. Its a little underwhelming but a nice cherry on top of the three scenarios. I think DragonForce 2 will be up next!

xsq

well besides not appreciating the collectardism comment, we all collect differently and blablabla
I'm so glad you got banned.

On the systems, the only difference between a Japanese and a US system is the bios, which is irrelevant since you should install a Unibios anyway.
you got me on ignore or what?

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
So here I am a noob..tooka few trys to be acceptee on this board. I have always loved neogeo always. I finnaly make enough to start me a rral Neo geo collection. I see this new SD that wveryone and there mother is all super excited about. But im more interested in the real carts. On the AES side Im lookkong at real games excepte a few like metal slug I would be happy with conversions.

Here is my deal I want a AES system, but I also want a MVS system. Which is the easiest one to mod out, and I want to play on my Samsung LED TV. Which I have read over and over there may be issies with doing that. I see a Neo Geo on Ebay that says it will switcj from 720p to 1080p with a tap of the button. I have loooked and looked, and jave no idea how they did that mod.

So two things. Where is a good thread to look at for a neogeo AES HDMi mod

And

What board would be the best for a MVS Console. I wouldn't even mind doing everything off the Jamma connection if that is even possable. Like the VGA board I seen forsale on this site somewhere.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So here I am a noob..tooka few trys to be acceptee on this board. I have always loved neogeo always. I finnaly make enough to start me a rral Neo geo collection. I see this new SD that wveryone and there mother is all super excited about. But im more interested in the real carts. On the AES side Im lookkong at real games excepte a few like metal slug I would be happy with conversions.

Here is my deal I want a AES system, but I also want a MVS system. Which is the easiest one to mod out, and I want to play on my Samsung LED TV. Which I have read over and over there may be issies with doing that. I see a Neo Geo on Ebay that says it will switcj from 720p to 1080p with a tap of the button. I have loooked and looked, and jave no idea how they did that mod.

So two things. Where is a good thread to look at for a neogeo AES HDMi mod

And

What board would be the best for a MVS Console. I wouldn't even mind doing everything off the Jamma connection if that is even possable. Like the VGA board I seen forsale on this site somewhere.

Don't even bother with AES. Why buy conversions when you can just buy the MVS carts for cheaper? Search for "Omega" for a consolized MVS or PM member Xian Xi as he also makes consolized MVS units. Also all of these questions have been answered dozens of times. Please learn to utilize the SEARCH. FUNCTION.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Well I feel that the AES carts will always hold their value. I look on Ebay daily for a AES system with at least two controllers to go along with it
More or leas a starting kit. Ill use the search engine more, but I really want to engage in this community. Taking the baby steps staying in this thread as I was told to do at first.

I have not found anything related on just a Jamma Connection MVS mod as of yet.

I did find this on ebay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/SuperGun-HDTV...e-Capcom-Konami-Sega-/391684076231?nav=SEARCH
One thing I found cool about it is that it will connect to different boards.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Stay away from neotropolis, way overpriced. Look a bit further into superguns and you'll see.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Well I feel that the AES carts will always hold their value. I look on Ebay daily for a AES system with at least two controllers to go along with it
More or leas a starting kit. Ill use the search engine more, but I really want to engage in this community. Taking the baby steps staying in this thread as I was told to do at first.
Here's the thing. Let's say you want Metal Slug. You can get that on MVS for $50. You'll pay thousands for that on AES. First off, unless you know your shit you could potentially be buying a bootleg. Three years from now if you want to sell it it could be pointed out that it's a bootleg and you'll have lost thousands of dollars. Even if it is a legit copy you're betting that prices will still be the same (or higher) whenever you decide to sell it. That's a lot of risk for a piece of plastic and some chips.

Or you can just buy the MVS version and even if the cart blows up in a few years who cares, it's $50.

Last edited:

xsq

Adding to what has been said already, it might be a good idea to look into video converters. The best signal the Neo will give you out of the box is RGB - like a lot of other old consoles. If you get yourself a XRGB or OSSC (or a GBS-8220 with a scanline generator if you want to go cheap with more lag), you can connect all of those to your LED TV. Or just pick up a good old CRT monitor for a great picture.

And to stress this again: FFS stay away from conversions[ - two carts are killed to make those, one for the boards/shell/case, one for the chips. There are organic bootlegs (i.e. boots made from all new parts) but they (like conversions) are mostly made by scammers who should not see any of your money. Don't support the people that have and continue to ruin this hobby. Better play the MVS version, use a NeoSD (both will give you the exact same gaming experience) or emulate.

P.S.: Video games are not an investment.

Last edited:

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Is there a good place to get replacement MVS labels? I saw the scans at JNX, but some aren't quiet perfect. Also saw Southtown will let you make some, but won't look correct for games with unique fonts. The best option I found was mentions of shadowkn55's labels that they used to sell, but couldn't find anywhere to actually buy those. I feel like I must be overlooking something obvious. I tried search but the closest I could get was an old thread that no longer looks promising. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Type "MVS labels" into Google

click on the "MVS" result

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

Why do people feel the need to try to complicate these things?

Not trying to needlessly complicate things, just figured somebody out there was printing and selling labels that are a good replacement for originals. MVS scans are a fine reference, but can't imagine they'd look great printed out.