Votes: 2 3.0%
  • vinyl soft case

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • snap lock case

Votes: 57 86.4%

• Total voters

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Snap lock. No question about it. The snap lock case had weight to it. It felt substantial where the cartons were just card stock and the soft cases felt spongy and delicate (and they also had a tendency to stink). The snap lock case meant business. Plus, I was never a collector, so I didn't really care if the corners of the insert got a little dog-eared or if the SNK logo scuffed up the back of the cart.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I received a snaplock cased game that someone had put so much bubble wrap inside under the cart that the case had to be squeezed tight to close resulting in a bit of the SNK logo indenting the plastic sleeve
Now I put a bit of tissue under my carts and some paper inbetween the insert and that does the trick.

I do like the look of the snap lock cases best but it is alot easier handling the old style cases as no fear of getting insert indents.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
All three have their problems.

Carton - Hardest to find in good condition and made of cardboard.

Old Case - Trays cracks and sometimes the plastic lining shrinks and causes whitening on inserts. I do like how they open and how they smell like vinyl. It is like opening a new game each and every time you open one up

Snap lock case - Causes indentations on the insert due to crevices and snk embossed logo (both which can be fixed through a acid free paper cut to the right length underneath the insert). Additionally, the snk logo inside the case likes to scratch up the back of carts (can be fixed with bubble wrap). Another point is that if you are not careful, you can break the snap lock right off (I always make sure to have one hand on the back of the snap and one to open to make sure I use the least amount of pressure)

I am going to go with snap lock cases on this. Wanna know what they all suck at? Holding the manuals.

Just a feedback here.

I went through all of my AES games with snap lock cases over the weekend - checking for conditions/moisture buildups.

When SNK first published games with it (1995 - Fatal Fury 3), the case comes with mat finish surface. Great, but when it wrinkles it's so obvious and worst of all it causes the inserts to wrinkle, especially games with tight slack. This is more apparent with DG's reproduction cases for NGDEV releases. All of my games with this type of case (early 1995 - early 1996) have arched wrinkles on both sides of panel, just depends on how severe it is.

Starting 1996, SNK perfected the art by switching to vinyl/shiny finish surface, problem solved. However, SNK still didn't solve the issues of SNK logo causing carts to scratch.

Shockboxes:

OK, it's for MVS but this has issues too.

When you try to put inserts into them, do not bend the cases all the way (180 degrees) as the bottom of the side panel will crack open. The inserts are very hard to slide into, fortunately most MVS inserts are very wrinkle/bend resistant, unlike the original SNK AES inserts.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Never seen a US pocket game in snap case...pics or it didn't happen.

For example, here is a US Bust a Move in a snaplock next to a European Puzzle Bobble in a snaplock. Up until very recently I owned both of these, now I just own the PB.

4xVWTMV.jpg

here's another pick of BAM

cdamm said:
i day one bought my ngp.

always cardboard.

I also day one bought my NGPC, and received KOFR2 US in a snaplock case.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I like the old vinyl cases better than the snaplocks.

You can't beat the smell. :)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I like the old vinyl cases better than the snaplocks.

You can't beat the smell. :)

It seems like the old vinyl cases smell stronger and stronger as the years go on!

I perfer snaplock, but sometimes I feel like I'll break the snaplock off one day accidentally no matter how delicate I am

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
I perfer snaplock, but sometimes I feel like I'll break the snaplock off one day accidentally no matter how delicate I am

Thats something I fear too, but I absolutely love the snaplocks anyway.What I dislike the most at the Vinyl Cases is the exposed part of the Insert at the Top.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Snap case for me. Carton boxes are just garbage. I don't know why people would want the carton boxes.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The snap lock is the best case, but there is the issue with dents in the insert, and games that have a snap lock tend to be newer, and generally more expensive. And the SNK logo (on the inside) can make an imprint on the manual in some cases.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The snap lock is the best case, but there is the issue with dents in the insert, and games that have a snap lock tend to be newer, and generally more expensive. And the SNK logo (on the inside) can make an imprint on the manual in some cases.

WOW REALLY? NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
All three have their problems.

Carton - Hardest to find in good condition and made of cardboard.

Old Case - Trays cracks and sometimes the plastic lining shrinks and causes whitening on inserts. I do like how they open and how they smell like vinyl. It is like opening a new game each and every time you open one up

Snap lock case - Causes indentations on the insert due to crevices and snk embossed logo (both which can be fixed through a acid free paper cut to the right length underneath the insert). Additionally, the snk logo inside the case likes to scratch up the back of carts (can be fixed with bubble wrap). Another point is that if you are not careful, you can break the snap lock right off (I always make sure to have one hand on the back of the snap and one to open to make sure I use the least amount of pressure)

I am going to go with snap lock cases on this. Wanna know what they all suck at? Holding the manuals.

Nail on the head right there!

Snaplock for me, they were solid and felt expensive - which they usually were! ;)

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Snaplock cases are my preferred case. None of the case are perfect but in my opinion the snap lock cases are the closest to perfect out of the different style cases.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
snaplock for sure. I just hated when I import softcase games from Japan the soft case always have cracks even though it was well packed.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Nothing better then some good ol' carton! Proven by countless years of Nintendo box production!

Jokes aside. Snaplocks for me.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It was mentioned in the second post in this very thread you goddamn retarded parrot.

The second post doesn't mention that snap-lock games tend to be newer, and more expensive, like my post did.
I was being sarcastic, if you noticed the emoticon I used (which is supposed to be the emoticon you use for sarcasm, could easily be interpreted in other ways, I think).

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You're just repeating shit. Doesn't matter if they're newer.
Why are you so goddamn retarded?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A lot of the posts on this board involve people saying things that have actually been said before somewhere. They just have to use the search function to find it.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder

Never was a truer word spoken, how many times have we had this thread, if it isn't this one it's whats your favourite Metal Slug? I tell you I never tire of that one, rolls eyes.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Never was a truer word spoken, how many times have we had this thread, if it isn't this one it's whats your favorite Metal Slug? I tell you I never tire of that one, rolls eyes.
I agree, you can never have too many Metal Slug threads.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Never was a truer word spoken, how many times have we had this thread, if it isn't this one it's whats your favourite Metal Slug? I tell you I never tire of that one, rolls eyes.

whats your favorite kof game?